Is there a propane dryer fluid similar to Dry Gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdasaro

Been chasing my tail now for 8 months and 3 regulator changes. Now I run into a propane dealer who mentions the damage caused by a few drops of water in the propane system. He don't remember the name of product only that it exists and works. Has anyone used something that works? Just got ripped off by CW for another $129 and an example of how u don't have to know what u r doing to charge folks without helping them.
Regards
Capt.

I've not heard of any such product and not even sure how it could be employed. Moisture, if any, will be in the bottom of the tank but occasionally get sucked up into the supply line and block regulator or a gas burner orifice. The usual method is to pump the tank out completely, remove the valve assembly, and physically dry it out. A pro may also use anhydrous methyl alcohol in the tank to absorb water, but you still have to open up the tank to use it. There is no way to just pump it in while adding LP, like you would with a car fuel tank.

I would be rather surprised if you have a water problem in a 2013 RV. It mostly occurs on older rigs  that have been refilled numerous times, or let sit with near-empty tanks over many winters (condensation build-up). Maybe you got a bad fill of LP somewhere, but that would be well down on my list of possibilities.  I gather your regulators are clogging, and replacing them solves the problem for a time? May be oil or other sediment in the tank, but the solution is still the same.  If that's your problem, you need a professional LP service, not an RV dealer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12064514_remove-water-propane-tank.html

Gary, I think your comment that the OP get professional help from a qualified LP service person is sound.  I usually tackle most jobs, but given the potential dangers of either explosion or CO/CO2 I don't think this is a DIY project.  Just my humble opinion.

Ed

I agree. N E thing more than adding a solution  be handled by a pro. Now to find one with a pulse and some semblance of integrity. I wrote a story for the boat owners association of the US several years ago. In it I likened getting your craft serviced by alleged pro's and feeling you had been invited to their Thanksgiving dinner only unbeknownst to you....you were to play the part of the turkey. I always try to learn all I can beforehand and thank y'all for your invaluable input.
Regards
Capt.

It is possible to inject the alcohol if you have pro-grade equipment. It takes a really high pressure pump that is also impervious to alcohol and flame-proof. Not a DIY project!

Gary RV Roamer said:
I would be rather surprised if you have a water problem in a 2013 RV. It mostly occurs on older rigs  that have been refilled numerous times, or let sit with near-empty tanks over many winters (condensation build-up). Maybe you got a bad fill of LP somewhere, but that would be well down on my list of possibilities.
For what it's worth, I've had to replace the regulator in my 2014 ERA due to water.  The regulator was replaced after it failed on a trip out west.  While camped in Yellowstone, the temps fell below freezing and the furnace quit.  Even the range top would not stay lit.  Once it warmed up outside, it all began to function normally.  When it was repaired, the service man said water actually dripped out of the line when he removed the old regulator.

Gary RV Roamer said:
It is possible to inject the alcohol if you have pro-grade equipment. It takes a really high pressure pump that is also impervious to alcohol and flame-proof. Not a DIY project!
I agree this is not a do it yourself repair.  Any company lp.delivery company should be abial to do it...... I recommend you call them and you should be abial to drive you rv over to their shop

What is needed is alcohol. But I forget the type, may be wood alcohol, if I remember correctly, we went to the local drugstore to get the alcohol  You need to look it up, but a cup of the alcohol will take care of a cup of water in the propane. I grew up around propane because my dad was a dealer.

When it was necessary to add to a customers tank (very rare by the way), we had a fitting made up that went between the tank and the fill hose. It basically was a short pipe nipple  with the necessary high pressure fittings to couple the filler fittings. A small quantity of the alcohol (about a quart +/-) was poured into the pipe  between the tank and the fill hose. When the tank was filled normally it forced the alcohol into the tank and solved the problem.
Go to a propane dealer and they may have what is needed to solve the problem.

That is why we put drip legs and sediment traps on gas lines.

I once opened up a 4" medium pressure natural gas main and as we were working on it the shut off has a slight leak. We could hear it bubbling thru a section of the old line that had trapped itself. Regular maintenance for that facility was to check drip legs for moisture and scale.

sdasaro...another subject..I notice you show a 2009 Lexus RX and a 2004 ES330.

Have you towed both of them 4 down or do you use a dolly?

I pull a 2000 RX 4 down which is approved by Lexus without modification.

I was told the RX can not be pulled period. The Es can but on a dolly. I pull neither so have no definite knowledge. Sorry.
Regards
Capt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom