Is there any problem plugging in a small generator to charge batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezmark

OK, so I have been trying to figure out the best way to keep my batteries charged while dry camping without ruining the silence with my big not so quiet 65  Generac generator. I have looked at solar panels, but you need some high wattage ones to do any good. I have seen/heard some incredibly quite little generators that are so quiet that you can hardly notice them soundwise. Soooo, I am wondering if one of those little suckers were used during the day and plugging it straight into the coach to let the charger charge the batteries is a good idea? Obviously we would need the big generator at night for any decent 110 power. What would happen if someone forgot to turn off or unplug the small one and the big coach generator were started up? I am thinking that if there are no serious electrical issues, as far as damaging anything goes, a little honda would solve all my problems! Any of you savy electrical guys care to shoot holes in my latest brain "gas"?

On my rig, the system has a controller that switches from shore power to the generator 40 seconds after the generator starts.  If I were using a small generator with the shore power plugged into it, the system would automatically disconnect it when the main generator was ready.  The only thing to be concerned about would be limiting the load on the small generator.  Your converter supplies all the 12v power to the coach whenever the shore power cable has ac, in addition to charging the batteries.
Art

That makes sense that there should be a "switch" like that, I bet my idea should work then! I will check out the paperwork on my coach. Thanks!

It's called a transfer switch and will be standard equipment on a motorhome with built in generator unless you are required to plug the shore power cord into the generator's output receptacle. One of those two techniques is necessary to prevent just the problem you are concerned about - two different 120VAC sources on the same circuit is a recie for disaster and must be avoided at all costs.

As the others have said, The only thing that will happen if you fire up the big genny while the little one is charging the batteries is the rig will, effectively "Unplug itself" from the big one.  This is how I maintenance run my generator when Im long term parked

I turn off the big load (750 watts)push the button, when it starts I go back and by the time I get to the big load, it's ready to turn it back on for an hour, then I kill said big load for the day (it only runs 2 hours a day max) push the other button and let it drop back to shore power.

NOTE: on some rigs (MINE INCLUDED)you can transfer JUST the converter to the small generator.. (The requirement is the converter must have a cord with a plug on the 120 volt side that plugs into a socket,  MINE does, not all do)

There were lots of folks in extended dry camping down at Key West doing exactly what you propose for noise & fuel cost reasons.

You only need to run the little generator a few hours a day to keep the batteries up.

But,... remember to switch refrigerator and water heater to gas.  If you're talking a 1000i it won't handle those & battery charging. 

One night a Quartzsite the generator would almost die, recover, almost die... I finally figured out that the Refrigerator sensed the 110 vac and switched to ac.  That almost killed the generator and the ac went away.  The refig switched to gas, the generator recovered....

The next morning several people said "Left your refig on auto?"

Joel

Joel

>>There were lots of folks in extended dry camping down at Key West doing exactly what you propose for noise & fuel cost reasons.<<

Where do you find dry camping in the Keys?.....If you are talking about a military base, that leaves about 99% of us out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom