Is this a good trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Olcoon

We are looking at a new, 2008 Sportsman by KZ 5Th wheel.  Does anyone know anything good or bad about this trailer or  the company?  This will be our first venture into RV'ing, and we are still walking around lost!  It's 32' and comes with the new warranty.

Thanks in advance!!!

Olcoon,

There is a "consumer reports" for RV's. As I have in the past on this and other forums, I would urge you, or anyone else planning to buy an RV, to get a copy of the RV Consumer's Group ratings guide (CD). The will give you some objective information and ratings on the different models out there. Yes, the guide costs about $125 or so, but that is pretty insignificant when you're going to spend $40-50K+ on a fifth wheel. (You may be able to find the guide in some libraries). The RV Consumers Group website is: www.rv.org

They will have the current ratings and past ratings, which also go back a ways. We have used the guide to purchase our last 3 RV's and found the ratings to be pretty accurate. The RV before we discovered the ratings was a piece of junk and we wish we had known about the guide then. (The guide accurately predicted it was poor in quality.) There are models out there that are better rated for the same money with the same features. Unless you're an expert on RV's (which we are not), think about it. Don't believe anything that RV salespeople tell you and only about half of what RV owners tell you about their rigs. They are not objective after having made a decision and sinking $40-50K+ into their rigs. They want to believe they got the best.

Good Luck!

I don't share  cdrcos' enthusiasm for rvcomsumer.org, but they are one source of opinion on RVs and do provide a convenient means of comparing specs on a lot of models. Just be aware that their rating is totally subjective, based on the group owner's personal views rather than collected data or actual testing.

KZ is a major manufacturer of towable RVs and they build a variety of models and price classes. The Sportsman is one of their more economy oriented lines. We don't hear many complaints about KZ, but that doesn't mean they are all trouble-free.

A new 2008 is still an old trailer, the way this industry works. You should not pay much more than the value of a used 2008 Sportsman in excellent condition. See www.nadaguides.com and check the value in the RV price guide.

Part of the problem is that the RV ages just sitting on the dealer lot. Seams dry out and crack - maybe even start to leak. Tires begin to rot, due to sun exposure and lack of rolling (tires need exercise, just like people). Upholstery fades, the exterior skins weathers, etc.

I'm not trying to scare you off - just don't let the salesman convince you this is worth the sticker price just because it hasn't been off his lot. You should get a very steep discount off MSRP.

RV Roamer said:
A new 2008 is still an old trailer, the way this industry works. You should not pay much more than the value of a used 2008 Sportsman in excellent condition. See www.nadaguides.com and check the value in the RV price guide.

100%.  Don't forget a 2008 was probably built in 2007 and is 3 years old.  It's just a 2008 "model year".  Tires may be cracking for 3 years under the sun on the lot.  Same goes for the sealant.

I agree with a steep discount.  The dealers around like to say the "internet price" is the lowest they can go.  I even offered one below their "discount internet" price on a 2008 trailer in the fall.  They would not budge.  It's still for sale and worth even less now.

Thanks for the info so far!  I think we are getting a pretty good price, we saw it at an RV show, and on the net they've got the MSRP at $38,360 with an internet price of $29,478, and their show price is $24,411.  I've tried to look it in NADA, but I didn't write down the model #, so I'm out of luck there.  Went to the library today & got a copy of the RV Consumer Group book, but the only one they had was for 2001.  I was expecting something like what Consumer Reports puts out & was disappointed.  Got a little info from it though!

Well, the 3 slide 32 foot model would go for about $21k and the basic single slide 31 footer is only about $11-12k. The warranty on a new one has some extra value, though. That gives you an idea of the value. The discount price sounds impressive, but they certainly aren't giving it away.

How many slides? Two a/c units or one?  Is the 32 feet the overall external length (nose to tail) or the measured inside length as specified by the RVIA for trailer lengths. Water heater a combo electric/gas model or gas only?

And before you get too deep into this, I should ask what you will tow it with. Many newcomers are shocked to find they are looking at much more trailer than they are equipped to tow. Will need the UVW and GVWR of the trailer as well as the make. model and tech specs (transmission, rear axle, etc) of the tow vehicle to make an assessment.

We were told it's 30', but actually measures 32'.  Has 3 slides, and I don't know much more about it.  We saw it @ the RV show & we weren't really looking to buying a new one, just getting ideas, as we were planning to buy used.  Needless to say I really didn't look at it too much or ask too many questions while we were there.  We are going to look at it again in the morning, for a more in depth look, and ask a bunch of questions.  Right now I've got a 2003 2500HD Chevy, 6.0 gas engine 4.10 rear end with auto transmission.  Going to take things slow, I know that if we decide that this is something that we are going to want to do, we will have to bite the bullet & get a diesel, but going to have to wait a bit for that one.

Sounds like the $24k asking price is top dollar, per the NADA book (which is only a rough guide and not based on local sales data). I'd try to do a bit better, around $20k even. Depends a bit on the exact terms of the deal, e.g. what may or may not be included in that price.

If it has two a/c's instead of the basic one, that is worth some extra, maybe $1000 in the retail price.

Well, thank you to all who responded to my question.  We jumped in with both feet, checkbook, and what was left of our sanity today!  We went back & looked at the Sportsman (about 3 times) while walking around the show & talking about the pros & cons.  Trouble is, we didn't buy the Sportsman.  Last weekend we had seen another trailer, an Elk Ridge made by Heartland Rv.  It was a far better trailer with better options, but had a higher price.  We talked to the salesman a while & to make a long story short bought the Elk Ridge for about $1000.00 more than the Sportsman, and he even threw in the hitch & installation!  Delivery will be in about 5 weeks. I finally bagged an elk, and it cost a heck of a lot more than my elk hunt to Colorado last Sept.!!!!!!

I'm not familiar with the Elk Ridge, but I think you likely made a good choice. Heartland is trying to make a name for themselves with a quality trailer and in general an upscale model is well worth an extra $1000 anyway. Besides, including the hitch in the deal is worth a $1000 right there!

It pays to shop around and not be too quick to reach for your checkbook!

CONGRATULATIONS on the new rig!

Sounds like you got a good deal.  They still use plywood floor, which is what I want in my next trailer.

RV Roamer said:
Well, the 3 slide 32 foot model would go for about $21k and the basic single slide 31 footer is only about $11-12k.\
Where can you get a used 2008 31 foot single slide 5th wheel  for $11-$12k?  That would be the bargain of the year around here!

Back
Top Bottom