is this a nice truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThirstWorkTTV

hey folks I am taking a trip around the USA and am going to sell my ambulance conversion I think. It's a 1992 kodiak and the parts are hard to come by, I just had all the fuel lines replaced with rubber because it was the only way they could think of without the parts needed. It runs like a dream but am scared itll break again and I wont be able to fix it, and am stuck in it in Iowa or wherever. Does this conversion look good? Im not familiar with engines, drivetrains etc and I know there are a few to avoid. Thanks all!

Black will be really hot to travel in and sleep. I don't see an AC on top for overnight. Not for me. Lots of miles on it as well.

It is a nice van. It's got some miles on it, but the 6.8L V10 is a tried and true engine. If you are really interested in this one, I would have a mechanic look it over really good and make sure it is has been kept up on the maintenance. Black is probably going to be a little warmer, and I have to believe there is an AC on top of that unit. It looks like there is something in the ceiling, so there has to be some kind of AC. But like I said above, you need to have it checked out. Good luck.

I don't see a normal RV rooftop air conditioner. But it may have a very low profile A/C. Important to check that out.

This looks like a shuttle bus that was converted by someone, without knowing its history and details on the quality of work (which appear fairly low to me) I would not even think about touching it. For example did it spends its initial life being driven once or twice per week as a church shuttle bus, or was it driven 12 hours per day back and forth between a major airport and a remote parking lot, by someone that tried to drive it like it was a sports car (I am sure we have all been on those parking shuttles before).

This looks like a shuttle bus that was converted by someone, without knowing its history and details on the quality of work (which appear fairly low to me) I would not even think about touching it. For example did it spends its initial life being driven once or twice per week as a church shuttle bus, or was it driven 12 hours per day back and forth between a major airport and a remote parking lot, by someone that tried to drive it like it was a sports car (I am sure we have all been on those parking shuttles before).
I was thinking this same thing, insurance is scary and you never know. Thanks folks I think I'll go with a real manufactured motor home

I was thinking this same thing, insurance is scary and you never know. Thanks folks I think I'll go with a real manufactured motor home
I have no idea what your budget is like, but if you enjoyed your Kodiak, there were a handful of makers who built on the Kodiak/C5500 chassis between about 2003 and 2010. We had an '06 and it was a great motorhome. Since the '03+ C5500 is basically GM parts-bin, and common with HD pickups of the same era, parts are cheap and plentiful. That's the other thing - if you can't find used and salvage parts where you are at in the Midwest, check for parts on the West Coast. Vehicles don't get eaten by salt out here ;) We don't have to replace things like fuel lines or brake lines because of corrosion.

This isn't mine and I have no idea its condition, but showing you an ad of what they look like and what you might find with a little searching if this platform is of interest.

In the description it says:

Cruise around or camp in comfort during the hot summer months with air conditioning and a stereo with surround sound. A rear door for loading large items and doubles as an emergency exit.

It also says it was originally used as a shuttle for an airport parking lot.

I would think, for the price, I'd go with a more conventional, more current date RV. But, if money is not an issue, I'd at least have a good mechanic check it over. However, even a good mechanic may say it's perfectly sound for another 100,000 miles and as soon as you drive it home a wheel could fall off. You just never know.

As stated above, insurance is something you need to consider? And because it is a "shuttle" bus, unless the title has been changed to "RV" (more than 15 passenger "bus"), do you need a drivers license something other than a regular operator license? Something else you need to check out.

Still, that IS a very interesting and nice looking camper!

No bath, no toilet, no kitchen, no waste tanks, no water tank. Kinda sorta done to make it look good in order to sell it, would require a ton more work and money spent on components to make it an RV, including probably ripping out most of what is there.

I will say those bodies are sturdy, much more so that RV's, and if someone did a proper conversion you would have a decent "motor home".

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom