Isn’t home ownership grand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

By grand I mean many grands. We are having our house power washed and stained; $6,000 plus $600 for the stain. Staining in process now. On top of that our fridge went on the blink yesterday; new fridge $2,000. On the bright side the staining and the fridge should last 10 years each.

Attachments

• 4BB7B2F7-C660-4336-98EF-D286C0D22ADF.jpeg
    4BB7B2F7-C660-4336-98EF-D286C0D22ADF.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 16
Be glad you don't have a pool. AKA A hole in the ground into which you dump cubic yards of money.

We had it taken out. That also required cubic yards of money.
Just like a boat. B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand.

Even if you "own" your own home it's still expensive between taxes, insurance and utilities. Thousands.

By grand I mean many grands. We are having our house power washed and stained; $6,000 plus $600 for the stain. Staining in process now. On top of that our fridge went on the blink yesterday; new fridge $2,000. On the bright side the staining and the fridge should last 10 years each.
I really like the natural look of your siding! Looks like cedar?

I really like the natural look of your siding! Looks like cedar?
Yes, cedar. When we built here all the other homes were log homes. Now they are allowing Hardie siding (cement board). Below was 10 years ago.

Attachments

• E96AC10C-E9D3-45E1-A7D4-5CAD56FA585B.jpeg
    E96AC10C-E9D3-45E1-A7D4-5CAD56FA585B.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 92A720EC-4490-4D7D-B607-486914CD1E45.jpeg
    92A720EC-4490-4D7D-B607-486914CD1E45.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 32
  • B67A95EA-C39A-4544-A193-605DBE0E2CDB.jpeg
    B67A95EA-C39A-4544-A193-605DBE0E2CDB.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 32
Love the home and if we ever relocate, hopefully it will be on an acre of land. Our lot is just under 8,000 sf so maybe 5 homes on your lot. But that's life in the big city.

Hopefully you'll get more than 10 years from a $2,000 refrigerator. As many know, me and my old flip phone are dyed in the wool luddites. That goes for our refrigerator that we purchased maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Paid about $500 plus tax. I expect hope it will last at least 10 years. It replaced our old Sears refrigerator that I purchased in 1982 when I bought my first property in So Cal.

Thank you. It’s on an acre and most of the trees are white oak. It’s almost getting to be more than I can handle.
I fully understand. We have 10 acres here - 7 acres wooded so there is basically no maintenance on that part - but the rest is getting to be a pain.

Beautiful home, Gator.

We've had a home on acreage for a long time, and it's a lot of work. I do most of it. My partner and I have been considering significantly downsizing, like buying a small home in a country club where the HOA maintains the yard. Somewhere warm. We've enjoyed a lot of years of being rural, but I'm just not sure it's what we want to be doing with our time anymore.

When we bought this house, we knew we wanted to do long duration travel. Bought it brand new so no work on replacing windows, roofs, etc. Single story with a basement, but the first floor has 3 bedrooms, living room, dining area, kitchen, laundry so we can age in place. Bought on a small suburban lot so less yard work. Installed an irrigation system so no need to water during drought conditions like we had this year. Hired a company for lawn mowing and snow removal. Installed a lot of cameras and a security system. Yes, we still have the physical ability to do all that ourselves, but now we can take off for 3-4 months in the winter and another 3-4 months in the summer. All housing decisions have trade off, and we chose close suburban living for the flexibility. Either way is expensive.

Saw this recently. A real eye opener on renting vs. "the true cost" of owning. You can disagree with some of the longevity estimates, but it's a nice list of all that can (and eventually will) go wrong.

My manufactured home is brand new. Like all prefab stuff (RVs) it has had a couple of teething issues. Nothing major.

385254738_10231248374462381_795408213333292366_n.jpg

Neat diagram, but some of it is way off, at least for our 27 year old house. We still have the original dishwasher and garage door openers, for example. And we have a dryer that we bought new in the mid-80s, with a washer that's only about 5 years newer.

I can see some of those timelines being accurate based on climate or average grade materials.

….But what are they doing to the kitchen sink that it only lasts 5-10 years? 😲

I can see some of those timelines being accurate based on climate or average grade materials.

….But what are they doing to the kitchen sink that it only lasts 5-10 years? 😲
I don't know how this data was collected.

Part of me is suspicious that it is something like sales data from big home stores. I can see replacing kitchen sinks for cosmetics(?)

Agree a lot of the numbers seems weird.

Electrical switches & sockets?

Beautiful home Gator and I know what you mean by grands that's for sure we have had out fair share of bills recently but we are not in the $6,000 range yet. We will find out after our whole home generator gets serviced. We lost power yesterday and the generator kicked on like normal but for some reason wouldn't give power to the house.

We replaced our heat pump in 2020...about $6500. And in the past +/- 5 years, the fridge, dishwasher, range, upright garage freezer, washer, and dryer.

Back
Top Bottom