Issues found in inspection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's easy to get emotionally and logistically attached to these potential purchases, so I understand that letting it go might have stung a bit. However you made the right decision for sure. Keep researching, learning, and shopping, and you'll fine "the one" eventually! Make sure you utilize various search techniques like RVtrader.com as well as Ebay (filtered by keyword and distance) and Cragislist (set up keyword searched for multiple locations) to maximize your chances of finding the perfect unit for you.

When you are shopping keep in mind the 3 most expensive things to fix on a motorhome are water intrusion / rot, paint / body and drivetrain issues.  Repairing any of these 3 category of items may exceed the fair market value of the coach.  Completely repainting a class A coach with full body paint starts at around $15,000 -$18,000 in the US (lots of people get it redone in Mexico where it is cheaper), Engine replacement on a gasoline powered motorhome is also in the same ballpark, diesel pushers can be more than double that, and professional repair of wood rot, and roof repair / replacement can also be in this same ball park.  By contrast more visible stuff like worn carpet, out of style curtains, and seating is down right cheap to replace, though still likely in the thousands of dollars.  Note there are a few shops in the country that specialize in freshening the interior appearance of older motorhomes, which may make sense if you already own an older upper end coach that is mechanically sound, and has been stored indoors so the paint is not faded.

John From Detroit said:
I am told (But have not confirmed) that if you get in an accendent in one state with tires that old you will be cited for over age tires.... As I said I did not attempt to confirm.

With all due respect, why wouldn't you confirm this before spreading it?  I'd be very uncomfortable saying things that I don't know are true.  But maybe that's just me.

Good call overall...

Sounds like you want something you could pretty much jump in, turn the key and head off.  That one probably wasn't it.

dsplaisted said:
Thanks for all the feedback folks.  We passed on this one.

The search goes on...

I think you have made the right decision. One further point I'd like to add that it if you had bought it and decided it wasn't for you, how easy would it have been to sell on, and would you have made a huge loss?

Find something in better condition. Have you considered a truck and 5th wheel?

dsplaisted said:
Thanks for all the feedback folks.  We passed on this one.

The search goes on...

You will find this was the best move you could have made. There are lots of better quality used coaches out there.
Where are you and where have you been looking?
Bill

jackiemac said:
Have you considered a truck and 5th wheel?

We already have a Jeep which is apparently a great car for towing behind an RV (since you can disconnect the transmission easily).  So it seems like a truck and a fifth wheel would be a more expensive route to go (for roughly equivalent quality etc.).  Am I mistaken about that?

WILDEBILL308 said:
You will find this was the best move you could have made. There are lots of better quality used coaches out there.
Where are you and where have you been looking?
Bill

We live near Seattle, WA (Kirkland).  We've been looking within 150 miles of us or so.

You might want to expand your radius a bit, when I bought my current coach in 2016, I spent nearly 5 months shopping before buying a coach in Florida about a thousand miles away.  Given the Covid-19 situation I can understand not wanting to get on a plane to retrieve a motorhome, but 300-400 mile radius should be a reasonable 1 day driving radius by car to consider shopping in.

I am going to have to agree with Ike and others on that one, expand the search area, and keep looking for used models from individuals, so you don't have to pay the cost of doing business. 

You are going to get the better deals here in this category of Purchase (Private Sell), but you have to be patient and keep looking, there are some great deals out there, trust me when I say it. 

Really?, "New" 2011 Year Model "New" tires?  Did he have any Ocean Front Grand Canyon Property to sell also?

That takes no real effort, but to bend down and look to fact check tire dates, so he seems a little off /  Dishonest.  You will know when you talk to the honest person selling the RV.

I will add my $0.02 and Second Scotty's advice of..., get a Free RV Trader account on the web and set all your various options on one or a few coaches to include pricing and mileage.  Set for Nationwide just to get a idea on Nationwide what is out there for the coaches you are looking at, and when ever you model hits the market you will get a email link to the RV Trader ad. 

In the Used market you will need a plan B and Plan C because you just need more that one purchase option...play the looking game for a few so you can get one.

People on RV Trader are serious about selling, they paid $$ for a Ad to sell. 

COVID does make things more tricky, but I remember in August 2019 I paid $140 one way from San Antonio,TX to Detroit, MI (Southwest Air) for a Fly and buy RV Purchase. 

Search YouTube for model walk through done by many sellers.  Now is the time to open your eyes and research models so you can make a buy you are happy with. 

Don't Rush to Failure!

JD

dsplaisted said:
We already have a Jeep which is apparently a great car for towing behind an RV (since you can disconnect the transmission easily).  So it seems like a truck and a fifth wheel would be a more expensive route to go (for roughly equivalent quality etc.).  Am I mistaken about that?
It was just an alternative but having a jeep to tow is great as you can get out exploring in it!

I'll be honest, as soon as I read the roof was leaking, I stopped reading and decided to share a little story with you.

My parents had an older motorhome for 3-4 years, with NO indication from the seller of any issue with the roof. But then, It started leaking around the air conditioner so they had it professionally fixed (campers world I think, but I'm not positive) I think $1000 or so. It was good for almost a year, then it leaked again. They took it back and got it fixed again. I think it lasted 4-5 months...and yep, leaking again. So then back it went. About 1 year later, both the AC AND the bathroom vent was leaking. So once again... back it went.

When it started leaking again after 2 months, my parents were through dealing with it and they sold it to my boss for (probably even below) salvage price. (Paid ~$50,000, and like 7-8 years later sold it for $3000. Plus what they paid taking it in to get fixed)

My boss ended up stripping the entire roof and redoing the fiberglass on it. (Because he had the manpower and money and time, I guess. I don't know, he's nuts.)  When they took all the coatings and everything off, they found a deep, giant crack from one side of the roof to the other. There was no doubt that at some point a very large tree branch had fallen on it and it was either not repaired properly, or repaired enough so there was almost no way to tell what was under all the the coating. They DID NOT have an inspection when they bought it. (And now know better...)

I definitely would never personally buy any RV that I KNOW has ever had roof damage. That is a complete deal breaker for me now. And, although, I don't think the roof ever leaked again after my boss fixed it. I can tell you it took 3-4 guys, working full time, over a month to complete the project. And I don't think most places would have gone as far as he did.  (And if they did, I would HATE to see the bill)

I guess, If someone had the ability, free time, spare change, and a complete disregard for their own sanity... then I could see them doing it. But as soon as I hear the words "roof leak", even if it's been "repaired", I'm afraid I'm done.

I'm glad you had the inspection. (I'll bet you are too) good luck finding something. Keep looking and you'll find the perfect one for you.

dsplaisted, I went back and reread your first post where you outlined your plans for the RV. For your purpose a gas coach will work just fine. Don't fall for the "you need a small coach to get in to National parks" bit. I have been to most of them and many times all the places in the parks are full no matter what you have. Just stay outside the park and take the jeep. Allso full timing with kids size does matter. Size = storage and living space.
I would look at places like PPL Motorhomes. They are a consignment dealer. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
You can look at floorplans and there is a section so you can see what things sold for.
Let us know how your search is going.
Bill

Good advice apparently taken!  Sorry your search continues, but it will be worth it.  It's a fun thing, this RV stuff.

As for the jeep...you probably already checked it out, but just in case, if your Jeep is something like a Grand Cherokee or Cherokee, it requires the 2 speed transfer unit to be towable four down. If it's a Cherokee and is pre 2019, it will also need a towing harness installed.  As for the other models, I am not clear on which are and aren't towable.  There are a ton of Wranglers being hauled around behind motorohomes, and they are certainly very popular!  Anyhow, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck! 

Thanks folks.  Just as an update, we bought an RV last week and took our first trip with it this weekend.  It's a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38G.

Thanks a bunch for all the help.  You can see in my other posts some of the things that I'm still learning :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom