Itasca Meridien 36 replace radio with Sirius and Bluetooth compatible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark.ogier

Hi
Well we have finally gone and done it! Just put the deposit down on an Itasca Meridien 36 after much searching.
One thing I would like to upgrade when we take delivery is the radio for a new one which is Sirius XM compatible and also has Bluetooth. Pandora or Spotify streaming would also be nice.
Has anybody been through this before and found a suitable replacement? I am guessing the original radio as fitted is a bit of an odd size and will require some kind of adapter plate or some other adjustments to the mountings.
Any suggestions gratefully l received ?
Thanks
Mark

Do you know if your factory radio is 1.5 DIN or double DIN?  Mine is 1.5 DIN which makes replacement more difficult, not that many 1.5 options out there.  Lots of 1x and 2x though which can be adapted.

Congrats on your Meridian!

I have a 04 35H and wanted to change out the radio also to include Bluetooth (already has Sirus) and I found some radios at Crutchfield.com..... They were very help full....... I have decided NOT to change mine out yet reason being I need to run the Sirus Puck Antenna in order to get the Sirus to work and I can not find a route for the wiring.... Keep that in mind..... Just FYI

We replaced the OEM radio with the following just a few months ago:

JVC/Kenwood Model KW-V41BT/KW-V21BT/KW-V11
Has all that you're asking for and more.
Different model numbers for various options.

The dash opening had to be filed down with a bracket that was slated for a Mercedes.

Excellent radio. Go online at". Www.jvc.com

So how is this project coming? My Magnadyne now randomly turns itself off, but rather than fix it I think I'll replace it as well.

I talked to Crutchfield and gave them a specific list: Remote, Bluetooth, Soeakerphone, Sirius.. The top one was I wanted a steering wheel remote, and not the crummy after market one. Turns out that Pioneer had a series of radios that fit that bill, including a 1.5DIN ADAPTER, but I'm still waiting to see how this one turns out.

Fiberglass is transparent to RF signals including satellite. When the exterior antenna on my Journey failed, iIpurchased a replacement magnetic Sirius antenna and mounted it in the DS compartment above the drivers seat on a 5 inch piece of metal ( to provide a ground plane) just below the roof and it operates fine. Ran the antenna lead down the front pillar to the radio module mounted under the dash near the DS sidewall. Excellent reception and a lot simpler than trying to get it on the roof.

bobmacc said:
Fiberglass is transparent to RF signals including satellite. When the exterior antenna on my Journey failed, iIpurchased a replacement magnetic Sirius antenna and mounted it in the DS compartment above the drivers seat on a 5 inch piece of metal ( to provide a ground plane) just below the roof and it operates fine. Ran the antenna lead down the front pillar to the radio module mounted under the dash near the DS sidewall. Excellent reception and a lot simpler than trying to get it on the roof.

Tried this on three different motor homes. Although it would work most of the time, things like the AC on the roof would block the signal when driving in certain directions. Solved the problem on all three with marine satellite radio antennas designed to be used without a metal ground plane.

Thanks for all the advice folks. On taking a closer look at the fitted item in my MH, it doesn't have any model numbers or brand markings. Just says RV Radio on the front. The FM doesn't hardly work at all. Not sure if the aerial is disconnected, will need to drag it out to check. It looks to be 1.5 Din as suggested here so am looking at getting something 1 din and an adapter of some kind. Don't want to be cutting the dash out and I can't see how it would work anyhow as the dash is pretty crowded down where the radio sits.

Like the look of the various 1 Din items with flip out LCD panel. Any thoughts??

Also, can someone elaborate on the fitting if a Marine satellite aerial? I am a newbie with motor hones so the thought of drilling a hole in the roof fills me with horror ?

IIRC a flip-out screen will block the A/C vents. it's angle is also such that I think it will be tough to see it anyway.

mark.ogier said:
..Also, can someone elaborate on the fitting if a Marine satellite aerial? I am a newbie with motor hones so the thought of drilling a hole in the roof fills me with horror
No worries about a hole in the roof, use a Winegard cable entrance plate, stainless screws and Dicor self leveling sealant.

My antenna isn't a marine model, I mounted a small galvanized plate on the roof and stuck the magnetic mount antenna on that.  Or an easier way I didn't think of at the time is to just stick the antenna puck down with a little sealant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom