J-Couch replacement on a 26 1/2 slideout platform ..Any ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ihbond

Hey Folks;
CHECKED THE SEARCH, BUT NO GO..SO FIGURED I WOULD ASK HERE.

So we want to replace our j-couch with 2 recliners but have some concerns since the couch is on the slide out platform that measures about 26 1/2 inches in depth.
Has anyone replace the j-couch with recliners ?
I assume I need that platform and therefore by no way want to try to remove it ?
DOes anyone have any pictures of what they have done? Perhaps extend the platform ?
THanks

Do you have a flat floor slide or one with a step-up floor into the slide itself?  The type will make a difference on how to extend the platform - if it's a flat floor slide you'll have to make allowances for the way the slide settles into place when extended.

Otherwise, you can extend the platform as long as there's room for the extension when the slide is in - that is, it doesn't run into anything.  If it extends into an aisleway you might have to step up onto it to walk by with the slide closed but that's OK.

Its a flat floor slide. as the edge of the platform ends under the couch..

We replaced our Rest Easy sofa with two Lazy Boy recliners. While they are not in a slide, we still didn't want the chairs to take up any more room than the sofa did.  We found that the apartment size recliners worked great.  They were a little narrower than the full size recliner, but were constructed the same way for comfort.  The bases on the chairs are smaller than the foot print of the chair, so you could put the front of the base on the front edge of the slideout if you needed the room. 

We really enjoy the recliners as opposed to the couch. 

Sarge

Hey Sarge; Yea next stop lazyBoy..WE went to reclinerland, but there light recliners did not fit us comfortably. The bases on those recliners are 24"

Lou & Sarge:
Here is my pictures of the platform JACKKNIFE

Sorry if some of my questions are not specific yet, as I am still learning about RV's in general.

So since the couch is on this platform is it considered structural\critical if I remove that couch specific portion of the platform so I could have a bigger footprint for the recliners to sit on?

I assume that the reason for platform is for the nuts and bolts of the couch to fasten to so it can slide out as well as structural.

BTW '99 33b Chieftain..People included, DOG OWNED

I would be surprised if the couch itself is structural. They may have built the slide to fit the couch, but usually a major builder like HR doesn't want to make a model that they can not use a variety of options in. If you unbolt the couch from the platform, you would know pretty quick if the slide was any less rigid than before.  My couch was also bolted to the floor, but more so to provide rigidity to the couch, not the rig. 

You would have to relocate that speaker under the couch, but that is minimal. I would take it out and see what happens.  You can always put it back. 

Well Sarge;
I took it the couch out by myself...no help here..Heavy balancing son of a gun..but still manageable.
I took some more pictures (updated my previous gallery in the above reply). No it is not structural in any way. NOW to figure out recliners or love-seat or back to another newer couch...

FOR THOSE ATTEMPTING THIS..Simple 12 bolts 3/8 to the floor and in my case  an over engineered subwoofer box with 4 phillips screws (Will change that to a more efficient sub later). Also you might want to remove the z plates that held the sofa to the floor (Would hate to have any one mar themselves up or the RV)

WORK SMART AND KNOW YOUR ANGLES TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET IT OUT BY YOURSELF..AND MAKE SURE THE COUCH DOES NOT OPEN (Tie downs work around the front to prevent it from opening). 

A suggestion...if you want to keep the couch a moving blanket on the ground will help keep it clean as well as  aide in maneuverability.

One last reason we like the recliners.  Our TV is mounted at the front, over the dash area.  It is nice to be able to turn the chairs towards the TV a bit and improve the viewing angle.  That and the wife and I don't have to both recline in the same position. ;D

Independence sounds good!  :-X
ALthough loveseats entice me since they seem to offer better width than two recliners on the same platform.
Our tv is over in the corner dinette area near the fridge so the angle should be O.K. Now to go to LA-Z BOY and check 'em out

Quick related question for those of you that have replaced RV sofas with something else... what did you do with the sofa?  I am wanting to replace the original L-shaped jackknife sofa in our RV, but new ones are priced WAY out of our range.  I'd love to contribute to someone's new La-z-boy recliners, who doesn't need or want their sofa anymore.  The problem is finding those people...

Well I was hoping to keep mine to put back in the RV when its time to sell.
Would hate to loose money on the rv and the LA-Z boy chairs as well..
If it were me I would l try to find a couch that was newer so that way you don't have to rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom