Jack Antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ru499

Just put a Jack antenna replacement head to replace our OEM Wineguard.  I have to admit, the Jack works alot better.  We live in a rural area and with the Wineguard, our TV search got 8 channels.  Switched to the Jack, and in the same exact location the TV found 32 channels.  We did not replace the whole Wineguard, just the head (antenna).  It was about $40 from CW.  Anyway, we were skeptical, kept the box to return it, but we are keeping it!

Had the same results too when switching from the "Batwing" to the JACK antenna far better reception and signal strength.

You got just the replacement head ($45) which mounts on the same mounting that the old Winegard Batwing used. 

I looked at all the Specs and it does mot mention (I didn't see it) if you can still crank the unit up and down.

This is perfect timing as my Batwing is not functioning, but I do have another question, assuming that it does crank down, have you driven your rig since you installed it.  Wondering about the ride as it looks to have a lot of sail area.

I replaced only the head and still crank it up and down.  I don't know whether that is necessary as I haven't tried to get stations with it down.  I do know that I don't have to swing the jack around to point to stations.  It looks like it would be directional but it doesn't work that way.  It picks up stations whichever way it is pointed, for me. 

Yes crank the antenna up on the old batwing mount. This will allow you to aim the antenna for maximum tv signal reception.

Changed to the "Jack" antenna while in Florida during the winter. Wow, went from a handfull of channels to over 70. Granted some of that number are the sub-channels ie: 13-2, etc. It's worth every penny. I paid about $ 35, but have seen it listed for way over a hundred. Ah yes, goes up and down just like the old antenna on the same mount. Aiming is still real critical.

Weewun said:
You got just the replacement head ($45) which mounts on the same mounting that the old Winegard Batwing used. 

I looked at all the Specs and it does mot mention (I didn't see it) if you can still crank the unit up and down.

This is perfect timing as my Batwing is not functioning, but I do have another question, assuming that it does crank down, have you driven your rig since you installed it.  Wondering about the ride as it looks to have a lot of sail area.

It still cranks up & down.. By the way, it took longer to climb up on the roof than to install the Jack antenna!

A suggestion. Replace the coax cable all the way to the antenna. Exposed to the elements and constant bending, it does deteriorate over time. Of course if you have a relatively young coach, it should still be fine.

I am told that Winnebago is now installing the "Jack" as standard .

I am told that Winnebago is now installing the "Jack" as standard .

Yes, that is true. Our 2012 Access class C has the Jack as standard. It has a signal strength meter built in and it does benefit from rotating.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom