Jacksonville, FL Monthly RV Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilwhite

Hi all!

I have accepted a new job in Jacksonville, FL and will be living there in my motorhome until my home in Georgia sells.  Does anyone know of a good place to stay  for (up to) several months?  I have looked at all the ones that show up on the internet like Flamingo Lake, Pecan Park, & Big Tree but I wonder about some that may not have an internet presence. My workplace is on the West side of town near the intersection of I-10 and I-295.

I will be leaving my family back home while the house is for sale but they will visit so I would like a kid friendly place..... I actually thought about Whitey's Fish Camp but that may be too rowdy.

Also, I am considering trying to change my state of residence to FL so I can stop paying GA income taxes.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?  How would that work while living in an RV?

I would like to find something in the $300-400 dollar range but I know that may not be practical if I want to find a place that has any amenities at all.

Thanks,

Neil White

Not much out that way. Probably the best and closest is Flamingo Lake RV Resort which is at exit 32 off I-295. My daughter's in-laws have snowbirded there and liked it. They have also stayed at Hanna Park but that would be a bear of a commute to the west side.

Does Hanna Park allow long term?  It might be worth it to be that close to the beach...

Before we started full time RVing we lived in Jacksonville, FL for 23 years. We often spend more than a month or two there each year because our kids and grandkids all live there.

Fortunately we can stay in the Naval Base campgrounds in the area. But they are time limited with a 42 day per year cap. There is a very nice campground on Camp Blanding that allows some long term parking. They have recently allowed civilians to park there  with an approved "Associate Membership" . It may be beyond what you are willing to commute each day to work.

Another alternative is the American Legion Post 137 on San Juan Ave. in Jacksonville. They have 8 sites (6 with FHU). The park area is gated and on the Cedar River with a paved deep water boat ramp. The catch is you have to be a member of the American Legion. Any past military service with good conduct and in possession of a DD Form 214 will qualify the holder for membership. They do not have any discounts or monthly fees. A FHU is $17 a day (there are no other fees).  The sites are first come first serve (with exceptions - the post commander can hold sites for special meetings). They are time limited at 30 days - public law for private parks. So you have to find a place to park for a single night and then you can return for another 30 days.

Here are a few pictures of the park at Post #137. That is our rig in site #6. There are no other sites between it and the river.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19255
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19254
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19253
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19252

FastEagle

p.s. The post 137 park is close to I10 & I295.

Thanks so much for taking time to answer.  Unfortunately, I have no military service but I might check into Camp Banding situation if I don't have luck closer to work.

We have two close friends who lived in their RVs at Flamingo Lake for a couple years. Both say it is nice park and a friendly community, but that was awhile back. There are quite a few full time residents there.

Declaring Florida residency is simply a matter of doing so and RV vs homestead makes no difference. Whether Georgia accepts that status for their tax purposes will depend on whether you have any remaining ties in Georgia, e.g. property, driver license, vehicle title, etc. You will most likely have to sever ALL your ties to Georgia to make it stick, so get your driver license, vehicle titles, mailing address, etc. in Florida (or wherever you choose). Having the property in Georgia still in your name is a complication, but the fact that it is for sale (is it listed with a broker?) helps establish that you have indeed moved out of the state permanently.

ceemike said:
FastEagle,

Are veterans eligible to camp in the Naval Base CGs?

No. You must be active duty or retired military or a DOD civilian.

ceemike said:
FastEagle,

Are veterans eligible to camp in the Naval Base CGs?

There are always some exceptions to the rules because ultimately, each base commander has the final say on the rules for his base and any other property under his command.

The standard answer for your question for almost all Military campgrounds is going to be NO.

The best information will be found in the reference attached below.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/news-and-articles-mainmenu-2/military-campground-and-rv-parks-articles/232-authorized-use

FastEagle

We are presently at Pecan Park RV Resort, right off I-95 N. Close to the Airport. Very nice, level concrete pad parking. Has around 220 - 70ft. pull throughs. Rates are reasonable, don't know what the charges are per month, you can call and ask. Their number is 904-751-6770. Good Luck

I fulltime in Pecan Park and really enjoy it. I used to stay at Flamingo Lake but the monthly rent got too high. We pay 600 per month at the Park. This includes everything but propane. No additional power or water charges. The commute to where you are going is a five minute drive. PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks for all the responses. I have been off the site for a few weeks (tons of projects around the house).  Flamingo and Pecan are on my list to check out.  Flamingo looks very nice but, yes, very expensive.  On Google maps Pecan park looked a little boring but clean and nice.  It's hard to tell from Satelite photos but it appears to be rows and rows of spots with no lake, pool, or any other fun things for the kids.

Has anyone ever been to Whitey's Fish camp?  From their website it looks like they have a dock/fishing peer and a small beach.  Their rates are $430/month.

Gary, thanks for the input on FL residency.  I do have the house listed with a broker and I would think that having accepted a full time job in FL would also show my full intent to move.  I think my biggest issue is that my girls will still be in school in GA until we sell the house and find a home.  However, I do intend to go ahead and register my RV and vehicle as soon as possible to avoid paying GA ad valorem taxes this year.  I plan on getting my driver's license and a P.O. box as well. 

Thanks Again!

neilwhite said:
Has anyone ever been to Whitey's Fish camp?  From their website it looks like they have a dock/fishing peer and a small beach.  Their rates are $430/month.

Thanks Again!

We lived in  Jacksonville for 23 years and have NEVER parked our RV at Whitey's. Why,  you might ask? Sites are smallish and parking is a premium. Whitey's has a very popular seafood restaurant that is busy all the time. They also have a "working man's" bass fishing tournament every Thursday afternoon.  It is also popular and those trucks and trailers take-up a lot of space. Lots of drinking going on there  inside and outside. Not a popular place for small children or pre-teens.

Don't get me wrong. We like Whitey's. I had both of my retirement dinners there. And when the fish are biting in Doctors Lake  Whitey's can be as good a place as any other to launch your boat.

http://www.whiteysfishcamp.com/

FastEagle

Thanks FastEagle, you confirmed the impression that I had as well.  I might have fun when staying myself which will be 99% of the time but when the wife and kids visit would be a different story....

I did find a trailer/RV park directly across the street from the Super Target on 120th street for $340/month.  It looks a little rough on Google but being right across from a Navy air strip I thought it might be mostly Navy guys living there full time.  Does anyone know that area very well? The name of the park is Yukon Industries Ltd RV & Mobile Home Park.

It will be two weeks from Sunday when I come down,  I start my job on the 4th.  What I am thinking I will do is go to Hanna Park for a week or two while I explore the area. They drop their rates to $25/night for full hookups starting Nov 1st and they have some other discounts like AAA and Good Sam.  The lady I talked to said that after about a month I would have to apply for an extension but that they usually don't fill up.

neilwhite said:
Thanks FastEagle, you confirmed the impression that I had as well.  I might have fun when staying myself which will be 99% of the time but when the wife and kids visit would be a different story....

I did find a trailer/RV park directly across the street from the Super Target on 120th street for $340/month.  It looks a little rough on Google but being right across from a Navy air strip I thought it might be mostly Navy guys living there full time.  Does anyone know that area very well? The name of the park is Yukon Industries Ltd RV & Mobile Home Park.

It will be two weeks from Sunday when I come down,  I start my job on the 4th.  What I am thinking I will do is go to Hanna Park for a week or two while I explore the area. They drop their rates to $25/night for full hookups starting Nov 1st and they have some other discounts like AAA and Good Sam.  The lady I talked to said that after about a month I would have to apply for an extension but that they usually don't fill up.

I also checked out the place across from Target and you are correct, it is a little rough. I work on the base and did the same as you and went all around looking for the best value for the buck plus feel safe when family joins me from Pensacola. We did stay at Flamingo Lake but a little pricey (wife and grandkids loved it). We checked out Hanna Park but a little far from work. We look on base (NAS) but they would only allow 6 weeks at a time. Also looked at Big Tree off of Dunn Ave but to much like the place across from NAS. In the end we picked Pecan Park and are quite pleased. Yes, they could have a few more things for the kids but they go to the pool a lot and also throw the fishing line in the small private pond (they have yet to catch a fish). Also, we are starting to get a few snow birds in the park. I have been here since Feb and when I moved in it was completely full but lots of places opened up in the late spring and summer.

Good luck on the search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking1957
Back
Top Bottom