Jayco Eagle or Keystone Cougar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtslusher

Hello I am pretty new to 5th wheels.  My wife and I have been looking at them for a couple years now and eventually decided on a used 2004 KZ durango bunkhouse model to try it out and see how much we really enjoyed it.  After a few trips we are really enjoying it but already see advantages to upgrading it.  We really thought we would go with a Jayco Eagle super light but recently we found the Keystone Cougars and like them as well.  The Jayco is a 31.5 fbhs and the Cougar is a 330 rbk.  I am not worried about towing either of these with a 2010 dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 crew cab short bed rated at 12750 lbs.  But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions why one would be better than the other.  Like I said we looked at several different brands and thought that Jayco just seemed like a better quality of camper than the others in this price range.  But after searching both Keystone Cougar and Jayco Eagle on this website the only real negatives I found were on the Jayco http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=54143.msg499785#msg499785 this link s one example.  Again any advise or experiences with either would be greatly appreciated.  I found a really great deal on a Jayco eagle 365 bhs but I think that is too big of a trailer for my truck.  Since I couldn't sleep I also found a Sabre that I liked I might have to talk my wife into going to take a look at it if she doesn't shoot me for wanting to take her to look at another trailer.

Thanks again,
Matt

The roof problem you mentioned with your link above can be avoided with a good inspection before purchase, that or walk away.

With a short bed truck you will likely need a sliding hitch if you don't already have one.

Take a look at two brands that we have personally had good luck with, Heartland and Open Range.

Visit the Heartland Owners Group forum and you will see what factory support is all about. We owned a Heartland TT for two years before moving to a 5th. We would have purchased another Heartland in a heartbeat, but the brand was poorly represented at the dealer level in our area.

We chose an Open Range 5th and have been pleased with the initial quality. Being a younger, independent company makes them responsive to customers concerns. They have some innovative features that come from the ability to make their own rules. For instance, how 'bout a trailer with 80 gallon propane capacity that you you have the convenience to swap out cylinders at a Walmart or gas station? They also have an owners forum, albeit smaller than the Heartland forum.

When shopping for brands, I find the owners forums to be a valuable resource, as they tend to be a lightning rod for owners problems. I don't get upset when I read about problems or defects. I am interested in owners reports of how the factory handled the problems.

My wife and I went to look at the Sabre 34tbok-6 it was a very impressive unit and we really like it a lot.  But while I was up on the roof looking at it I noticed a few air bubbles in the roofing material.  there were about 6 or so dime sized bubbles and on one edge where it raps around to the side there was a 2 foot section that was not adhered down to the corner.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Will these bubbles become larger in the future and result in failure of the roof?  Also the front of the fifth wheel where the pin box mounts all the way down to the underbelly of the camper the fiberglass felt like it was not adhered to anything at all,  kinda like a major case of delamination.  However he had several different Sabre models next to it and they were all the same in that area.  Thank you for any advise and replies to my concerns.  I am also going back to look at the Keystone Cougar again a little more thoroughly this time with all the knowledge I have learned from this site and see how it compares to the Sabre I just looked at.

Matt

The only advice I have is that the Jayco 31.5 fbhs has almost no basement storage due to the short length of the upper front bedroom, and rear bath. That would be a show stopper for me.
Yes, the 365bhs is one ton dually material.

We have decided now it is between the Keystone Cougar 330rbk and the Palomino Sabre 34tbok-6.  Pretty much the same floor plans.  I like the setup of the Sabre a little better and it already comes with the second air and electric rear stabilizers but if the roof is going to be a problem it wouldn't bother me to go with the Cougar.  I really like the remote control for the slides on the Cougar.  I agree with the limited storage underneath of the Jayco.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom