Jayco Jayflight Fresh Water Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khr

We have a Jayco Jayflight 21QB with the thermal package.  It has 2 - 40 Gallon freshwater tanks.  I started filling the freshwater tanks to check and make sure the water pump was working correctly.  I started trying to use the pump before the tanks filled completely.  (Probably on had 15-20 gallons in it.)  It constantly gurgled like it had air in the lines and the pump would continue to run for 8-13 seconds after turning off the water.  I was concerned that I might have a broken line somewhere between the tank and the pump.  Then I thought that I had never tried to use the water pump without filling the tanks completely full.  So I went ahead and filled the tanks till the over flow started running.  Tried the water and the pump worked as normal - no gurgling and shut off almost immediately upon turning off the water.

Does anyone know how the two tanks fill and how the water is drained out of the tanks as you use the pump???  Would the gurgling be natural if used before booths tanks were full??  It just raises lots of questions.  THANKS!!!

Mine has always had a little air, but it always clears up in 5-10 seconds.  This went on for 10-15 minutes and never did clear up until the tanks were full.  That's why I was questioning of this was normal on this particular trailer setup until you start with completely full tanks.  (When the tanks were full and I turned on the water, it cleared almost instantly.)  Thanks.

I agree with Steveblonde - sometimes I get air in the lines and the pump will run for a while when it compresses the air.  Sometimes it clears right away, other times it take a while.  I don't see how having the tanks full should matter (as long as you are not sucking air from the tank)

I understand.  That was why I asked the question if anybody knows how the 2 tanks fill.  If one fills and then begins to fill the second on an "overflow" type setup, but the pump draws from both equally all the time, that would create the scenario I'm suggesting.  I'm still hoping somebody knows how Jayco sets up these 2 freshwater tank systems.  if I never try to use them without completely filling them again, I'm not anticipating having a problem.  It's just my mindset to want to know how things work.  ;) ::)  Thanks!

I'm not any kind of expert on the varying features of travel trailers, but your inquiry intrigued me.  So I did a quick Google search and found your question had been answered by numerous Jayco owners going as far back as 2014.  Here is the link.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/dual-fresh-water-tanks-how-is-it-plumbed-23663.html

Looks like you have to add at least 20+ gallons to the single fill port because each tank needs at least 10 gallons to build pressure for the water pump.  The tanks equalize from a single fill port, and the pump is apparently located in only 1 tank.  I hope you can get buy without constantly having to have FULL water tanks, as this adds tremendous weight while traveling, which may not always be necessary or attractive to do.  Do add enough water to flush, wash, etc. while en route.  Oh, and the water pump has to get to about 45 lbs of pressure before operating consistently, and the time it takes to do that could vary depending on amount of air, ambient temps, and having enough water in BOTH tanks so the one with the pump isn't sucking air.

Linda

Linda, you have shamed me!  I love google and use it multiple times everyday.  Why I didn?t google this question is beyond me!!  I?m also shamed because I have been on the Jayco owners forum, but forgot about it.  Don?t I have mud all over my face?!!!??  ;). Thank you so much for the link.  VERY good information there.  Thanks to everyone else that replied.  Question asked and answered!!!  My suspicions were basically confirmed.  Also learned that I probably should put a valve on the overflow lines to keep out bugs.  ALSO learned that in the worst possible scenario, if I ran out of water and needed just a little more, go out and open the drain lines and finish emptying the freshwater tanks.  Great info!

khr said:
Don?t I have mud all over my face?!!!??  ;).

Certainly not!  I've been a TT owner for only 18 mos traveling fulltime and you have NO idea of the number of dumb things I've done and the questions I've had to ask the service folks at my trailer manufacturer.  The forum is here to help folks and we're all glad your problem was solved. As far as forgetting about Google, I've done that too -- likely because we're so focused on the tree, that we forget about the forest.

Happy Travels
Linda

Welcome to RV ownership!  If this is your first "brain fart", you have not been camping long!  We all have them.  Once you have been here awhile, we can tease you for it.  For now, glad we could help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom