Jayco Seneca heavy chassis worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are asking if it will climb hills like a car, the answer is no.  It's all in the horsepower-to-weight ratio and cars are in the range of 6-8 hp per hundred lbs of weight whereas RVs rarely exceed 1 hp/100 lbs. That said, the diesel coach will deliver more usable horsepower at lower rpms, where it is needed for hill climbing, and the transmission will be geared for a heavy truck rather than a van.  I think you will feel much more comfortable with the performance.

The real answer is to set your expectations lower. Motorhomes aren't about performance, so be patient and climb hills in the slow lane. You can get used to it! There is no concern about it getting to the top of th hill and you will still probably pass some big trucks, but the cars are gonna whizz by you.

SeilerBird said:
Most people spend 95% of their time living in their RV and 5% of their time driving it. So in my mind it makes sense to worry a lot more about the house than worry about the vehicle.

Actually most people spend 95% of their time paying for their RV! ;D. The way we RV is to move into an area and see the sites and move on so we actually spend a lot of time driving it.  We put 12,000 miles on our Vectra one year.  And keep in mind we both work so this was only vacation time.

The way we RV is to move into an area and see the sites and move on so we actually spend a lot of time driving it.  We put 12,000 miles on our Vectra one year.
If "see the sights" means to hit the primo tourist spots in an area, you can move on every 2-3 days.  Ticking off the boxes on the "Been there, done that" list.  We did that the first few years on the road, but gradually learned to slow down and spend more time in each place to appreciate it more. There is most always more to see and do if you spend more time. A relaxed breakfast or lunch in a local diner will often get recommendations that are known to locals but seldom mentioned in the tour guides. Of course, not everyone will be interested in seeing small museums, local stores & restaurants, town parks and such.  Different strokes for different folks...

Going into our 4th year full timing and we drive 2 percent or less. We work full time and our ?usual? is moving every two to four weeks; explore the area we are evenings and weekends; move and do it again. In three years we?ve put about 22,000 miles on the coach. (We don?t move far... usually drive just one day of a weekend.)
Everybody finds their own cadence and my bride and I are very fortunate to both be able to work remote and tuned to the same rhythm. (We?re ?locked in? to two months in Bradenton, FL next winter with an optional third month.  Have to admit l have no small amount of apprehension about that.  I usually get itching to drive after I?ve been in one place two weeks... definitely after three.  ? )
ps.  Gary is no snob!

First, Gary is certainly not a snob.  He is a great resource for this Forum and spends many hours helping all of us.

Maybe it is a mistaken impression caused by the fact that he always has detailed information and can speak with authority on most all RV topics.

Back to the original question about Super C coaches. 

I do think that for me one of the most important advantages of the Super C is the ability to tow very large and heavy loads.  I sometimes wished that I had one when I was towing my Stacker Trailer.  I like the DP layout better but I really do appreciate the capabilities of a Super C.

Thanks for the responses.  I am certainly not looking to outpace cars going up hills but losing speed with your foot completely to the floor watching the gas gauge go down is also not what I am looking for.  The 55 gallon tank goes fast on anything but flat terrain.  I believe the Super C?s have a larger diesel tank that would reduce the number of stops along the way.  Any idea what kind of mileage I would get?  Also, besides the Seneca 37fs, are there other good options that have the side bunks.  We have 4 kids so we need all the beds we can.

I am certainly not looking to outpace cars going up hills but losing speed with your foot completely to the floor watching the gas gauge go down is also not what I am looking for.
I think you are doomed to disappointment, then. No production RV, gas or diesel, A or C, has that kind of performance.

From reports I've seen here and elsewhere...
Figure 8-10 mpg, with 8.3-9.3 the most often reported values.

Senecas have two side saddle tanks totaling 74 gallons, giving a useful range of 400-550 miles (depending on how brave you are and the mpg).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom