Jensen radio quit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COCJ

I have a Jensen model JWM6A radio in my RV. Went out one day and noticed it was on. Just the buttons were lit - no digital display. None of the buttons functioned including the power button. Only way to turn it off was the main power switch. When I turned the main power switch back on, the radio was off. Hit the power button and the radio turned on but does not function. I tried pushing the little reset button but that did nothing. At this point, I am thinking that the radio is kaput. I was thinking that the easiest remedy would be to just by another JWM6A that would just plug right in but I am hesitant to buy a radio that has already failed once. I noticed that Jensen has a newer model JWM62A. I am wondering if the old connector would plug into the newer radio - eliminating the need to splice in the new connector to the existing wiring. I have never really had good luck with Jensen products in general, so I would be interested in other options. Any ideas? Opinions?

I see your coach is a 2016 Forester. You shouldn't have a problem with the connector. I replaced my coach's old radio (original, from 1999) with a new (single deck) radio and I had to splice the wires...Not a biggie but of course, plug and unplug is way easier.

I haven't had good experiences with Jensen either. A site like crutchfield.com can give you a lot of ideas for a good replacement.

My RV had a Jensen with similar problems. I found the radio was partially grounded through the speaker wires but where the main ground wire connected to the dash wiring was faulty somewhere. I just grounded it to the metal part of the dash and that worked.

Crutchfield probably has an adapter harness for your chassis to whatever radio you end up getting.

I checked the Crutchfield website and they didn't have much for RVs except Jensen. I found a comment on another website that said the JWM62A is a direct replacement for the JWM6A and uses the same connector, so it should be plug and play. Looks like I will be stuck with another Jensen. Before I order one I plan to pull the existing radio out and check for any loose connections.

Nice!!! Love the Boss especially. '69 Mach One is nice too. Mine is a backyard rescue that I restored. Fortunately was sold new in El Paso, so no rust.
I have a Jensen model JWM6A radio in my RV. Any ideas? Opinions?
The Jensen unit has pretty bad reviews from what I could glean online. You could adapt a double DIN car stereo with DVD in it's place. This Kenwood is nice, and has the outputs you'd need to connect to the TV in the RV. It will sound a whole lot better than the Jensen too.

I checked the Crutchfield website and they didn't have much for RVs except Jensen. I found a comment on another website that said the JWM62A is a direct replacement for the JWM6A and uses the same connector, so it should be plug and play. Looks like I will be stuck with another Jensen. Before I order one I plan to pull the existing radio out and check for any loose connections.

Most all "Dash" radios these days are DIN, DOUBLE DIN, TRIPIL DIN or Quad DIN
DIN is either French or German standards bruea
IT means the width of the radios are all the same.. Height varies (The larger sizes may have touch sreens.
Cruthfield has adapt-a-kids for just about everythign to just about everything.. So you remove the old radio Remove the plugs and plug 'em into the adapt-a-cable..Plug the adapt-a-cable into the new radio and slide it in.. Done. You may need a new benzel (But that usually comes with the radio)

OK, so for some strange reason the radio decided to start working again. I replaced the chassis battery and the next day it started working. Don't know why changing the chassis battery would make any difference as I don't think the radio is connected to that circuit. Maybe it just took a week to reset itself after I pushed the reset button.

Back
Top Bottom