Just getting started and have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wahoofrank

Hi all, just getting ready to start looking for a TT in the 21-26 ft range....i think. Thats why im posting this. I'll start by telling you I have a 06' toyota tundra 4.7L V8 4x2  and the rated tow capacity is 6600lbs and have been told to keep a TT at under 5000lbs, does this sound about right to you guys? Next, should I consider making my truck 5th wheel acceptable? What is the cost and hassel for that? Seems like it would carry the weight better as a 5th wheel? Next, is there any names(manufacturers) I should stay away from or be cautious about? New or used? Kinda like the idea of a warranty. Lastly, what is offered as road side assistance and about how much should I pay for something like that and what do they cover? Thanks for helping out a new guy that is just getting started. ;)

I think you have some good advice already about keeping it around 5K or less.  Guessing you have the double cab and according to trailer life tow ratings, the rating shows 6800-7100 for 2wd tundra.  I dont think you'll find many 5ers that would meet the trailer and pin weight you will be looking at.  Refer to your tundra owners manual about weight ratings as well, but I'd say a 21-26 TT should work great, but pay attention to the trailers loaded weight, not the empty or unladen.

hope that helps a bit.
Joel

I'm sure some of our trailer experts will be along shortly.  While I can't address all of your questions, as for road side assistance, most of the members here will recommend CoachNet.  Their Gold plan costs $109.50/year and you can get more information here.

Right here, sir!  ;D

With that 6600 lb tow rating, limit your trailer search to units with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 6000 lbs or less.  We like to allow 10% for truck cargo like passengers and hitch gear.

If you are going tow in the Mountain or Pacific West, then allow a bit more for the altitudes and grades out here and make the discount 20% and limit your trailer GVWRs to 5300 lbs or less.

I do not think you will gain much from a small fiver in terms of livablity over a 24 foot TT which is where your tow ratings would put you.  You sure as hell would lose truck bed usability with the 5th wheel gear sitting in it.

New vs. used?.  For a first TT, I kinda like a new rig.  Used relies too much on your ability to evaluate a TT.  We have an article in the Library on appraising a used trailer.  Read it.  Then decide if you would like to have a dealer to scream at for the first few month of ownership.  I did myself, and then ran the unit for the next 15 years.

I used AAA Premier RV membership (Auto Club of So. CA) and got decent attention even out of state.  Others like other schemes.  I will let them chime in.

Thanks guys for all the advise and will head it wisely. I'll be sure to check back with any more questions as they arise and I'm sure they will.

Remember that your Tacoma has some wear and tear already, so give this a thunk before you select the final weight rating.  There are some super light units available.  Weight considerations go out to construction style and presence of slides.  We bought a ultra lite with a slide at one point and had some issues with structural integrity.  I would shoot for a solid travel trailer or expandable.  We're liking Keystone, Forest River and CruiserRV brands these days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom