Just got a diesel pusher, what do you do before and after a trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taoshum said:
I guess the more casual folks don't post... too casual to read this stuff.

I think the reason the more casual folks don't post on threads like this is that we get "jumped on" immediately with "what if" scenarios and extreme examples of what might happen if the dreaded lawyers come after us.  I have nothing against using a reasonable amount of care in operations either.  I've had a CDL license for about 12 years, and been a licensed pilot and mechanic for over 25 years, and a lot of what "might happen" just never does. 

I do a walk round, with a check list and check tire pressures, (and state of the tires for checking), fluid levels, (water, oil, fuel), levelers retracted, lockers locked, tags current, steps retracted, wipers in good order, screen wash and leveler fluid topped off.

The whole thing is a walk round from the door, back along the body, round the back, down the other side and return round the front to the door, (I'm not fond of interruptions as I do this, so I try and do it without the kids around to ask me questions, or slow me down, and I follow the same routine after fuel stops for steps, lockers, fluids on the ground, etc).

I will turn on the fridge a couple of days before we set out on a trip, and I leave the interior packing to other members of the family, I do most of the exterior packing, including the camping gear for the kids, mechanical and tool necessities.

The glib answer I was going to give was that before a trip I start the engine, and after a trip I idle it then shut it down! :-*

But I'm grad I didn't give that answer now! ;)

AndyinLexington said:
I think the reason the more casual folks don't post on threads like this is that we get "jumped on" immediately with "what if" scenarios and extreme examples of what might happen if the dreaded lawyers come after us.  I have nothing against using a reasonable amount of care in operations either.  I've had a CDL license for about 12 years, and been a licensed pilot and mechanic for over 25 years, and a lot of what "might happen" just never does.

Just like the engineers and techs intended it... It's interesting, once someone ask how many "transistors" in series had to work properly for an airplane to take off from a major airport?  This was about 20 years ago and the answer was about 10 million; today it's probably 10 Trillion.  Today, between all the integrated circuits, memory chips, computer systems, communication systems, radar systems, navigation systems, control systems, weather systems and "human" systems...it's amazing that any planes leave the ground but thousands do... except when the ATC is asleep... LOL.

There are various kinds of checklists in our RV Forum Library and they've been devised, revised, and added to through the years.  Every RV requires different pre-departure and post-return "things" to be done so one size does not fit all.  The one thing we BOTH do before leaving is a final 360-degree/up & down walkaround to look at everything - tires, windows, hookups, toad connections, all hookups, satellite dishes, roof antennas, steps, etc.  It's very much a touchy-feely thing because, for example, we both test the toad connections to make sure they're tight.  We have a list but now seldom actually use it because we've been RVing for so many years, however every time we change RVs we make a new list that we adhere to until it becomes second nature.

SoEzzy mentioned trying to do the check when no one else is around to interrupt.  This is very good advice!  If you're interrupted during your final walkaround, stop where you are and don't continue until you can once again be alone to concentrate on what you're doing.  If necessary, start over.  The times we've made major mistakes invariably happened because we got distracted during our final walkaround and didn't start over.  We've all had some "doozies" but hopefully they're easily repaired!

My advice is to go to our RV Forum Library and find some departure checklists.  Use it/them as a guide and then delete items that don't apply to your situation or add ones that you need but don't see on the lists.  No two RVer checklists will be the same, but most of us "add on" as we do stupid things that we don't want to repeat!  The idea is to minimize the REALLY stupid ones that cause damage and maybe put a stop to your trip.

ArdraF

Good advice. We do pretty much what Ardra said, except that I have a bad tendency to just continue with my checklist when someone comes up to interrupt. It does work better to do it as she described. I was distracted once and began to drive down the road with the (rear) engine hatch open. (I didn't feel too badly about it, as the same thing happened to the professional driver whom the dealer hired to drive us from Grass Valley CA to Reno NV for delivery, two years ago. And he was a retired 747 pilot. Maybe I was just following his example....)

We have a printed checklist on a clipboard that is a blend on the checks listed in the motorhome manuals, the checklists online here and elsewhere, and items we have added. For example, be sure the dog is on board and his crate is secured! Tug on the coach armor (front) to be sure it is firmly attached, also that mirrors and windshield wipers remain firmly attached.

It's interesting... what we do when we have time and what we do when we feel a sense of urgency.  If you really need to leave and see an intense thunder storm coming that you could avoid if you left immediately... some folks would do an abbreviated check out; some would go back to bed and wait for the storm to pass; some would leave immediately; some would do the regular routine and leave, then deal with the storm; some might abandon the chairs, BBQ, even the toad and get the hell out of there hoping to return after the hail or tornado or whatever;  ...

I guess you do what you gotta do.  I'll wager that if you see a tornado in the distance and think you can get away from it, you dispense with tire checks, oil checks, coolant checks, fridge checks, etc... you get the slides in, stow the power cord, cut the water/sewer hoses, raise the jacks on the way and get outa there.

The emergency drill is the one that we need to understand and practice on occasion.  The routine drill is important but the emergency drill is the one that could save you and the rig. How many of us have practiced the emergency drill?

Back
Top Bottom