Just Got Parked, Hey Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hymnsinger

I am getting ready to embark on either the greatest adventure of my life, or the biggest disaster!! My name is Tracey and I think I'm about to buy an '88 Suncrest Lakeview, 32' Class A. Whoever owned this poor orphan last was not very good to her! She's a MESS. When she arrived at the dealer they found two dead 'possums in it!! I believe that they were in the "basement" storage area. There was no 'possum odor in the coach. (Thank the Lord!)

I will post more about the "Miss 'Possum" later. If she proves to be structurally and mechanically sound, and I actually purchase the poor girl, I will need LOTS of help!!

Hopefully, 'Possum will see me safe from Pisgah Forest, NC to Livingston, MT! My son and I will be Fulltimers for awhile. My son, Robert, is disabled and uses a motorized wheelchair. A major refit will be needed to allow safe and easy access for him.

The biggest challenge with this coach is the roof. It has obviously been leaking for quite some time and there is major damage in the front of the unit. Nearly all of the electronic extras have been scavenged and the wiring in the cab has definitely been worked on. The shower stall (and anything else made of plastic) needs to be replaced, the generator is gone, and the upholstery and carpet is, well, lets just say it's going to be gutted!

OK, the reason for all this . . . I have wanted to move west all of my life. I spent a summer, that was far too short, in or near Jackson Hole. I was first in Kelly, WY way up on the Gros Ventre river, then spent 8 weeks working in Jackson, both wrangling and baking pizza at the KOA Campground. That was a very long time ago, and now at 53, it's time to go!! Over the past year I have developed relationships with folks out there and I have a couple of job prospects, one in Thermop, WY and the other near Livingston, MT in the Paradise Valley. I also have a romantic interest in Roundup, MT,  ;) . I am SO looking forward to this!!

I don't have a lot of time to prepare, so the major jobs will be patching the roof, reinforcing the unseated "sky" windows in the front, and refitting the door and installing a ramp. A lift is cost prohibitive. Will remove the dining booth, the couch and chair, making room for Robert and his bed, remove the nasty carpet, etc, etc, etc. Need to clean tanks, check hoses, yada, yada . . . you all know what I'm up against!! I will need your help for the next 2 or 3 years!!

Oh yeah, did I mention that I am taking my horse with me?? Yep, will be pulling a 2 horse bumper pull too.  :eek:

See you around the "Park!"  ;D

Tracey and the newly christened, Miss 'Possum!

I have been hanging around on the forum for about 2 months now but this is my first post, so welcome to the forum from one newbie to another.  It sounds like you have a great adventure on your hands and I wish you the best of luck in your journeys.  Getting to the point, I would be VERY careful in the purchase of the vehicle in which you mentioned in your post.  Usually roof leaks mean floor/wall mold and major damage to both.  If the wiring is in disarray this could be just as time consuming getting things right.  Also you said there were critters in the basement which would mean to me the vehicle has been sitting for some time.  With everything you have mentioned wrong with the unit I don't think I would take it even if it was free.  Have you checked on craigslist in your area for other options.  There are many many class A's that are very cheap for sale on craigslist.  I don't want to sound negative, but it sounds like it is going to cost you thousands just to get this unit road worthy.  Mechanically speaking I bet your gonna have to do belt/hose replacement as well as brakes, bearings, oil change, tune up, radiator flush, tranny flush, tire replacement if it's been sitting, and this list is optimistic.  If there is anything major wrong your talking ALOT of labor.  I would strongly suggest you keep looking before you pull the trigger.  Good luck in your journeys no matter what you decide, but make sure you do it safely!!!

2 horses might be a bit much for an old gasser class A to tote around.
Did you know there are horse trailers with living quarters? Ramped access already there?
I don't know anything about them. Some ranchers use them, Maybe some one will chime in.
Slow down on purchasing anything immediately, until you know more about what you really need, to do this.
Good luck, looking forward to following your adventure.

Bill

I saw a used RV already built for wheel chair living.

I was at Porters RV in South Carolina a few months ago. Their website is never up to date on the current inventory so you might need to call them,  but the folks there are super nice and easy to deal with. I stop by often because they always have everyone of their RV's unlocked for customers to self-tour without a salesman in tow. I wish all used lots would do this!

Anyhow...

They had a used RV for sale that was set up for a wheel chair, though I don't recall seeing a lift, maybe they had a ramp, I just took a quick tour and kept moving to the next one.  But it was an open plan with floor to ceiling curtains instead of interior walls and doors. There was a curtain for the bedroom that ran from one side of the RV to the other. The toilet area had a floor to ceiling curtain and was the proper height for transferring from a wheel chair to the commode and the shower was a roll in type for the wheel chair transfer. As I recall it was a unique Class C, but could have been an A, I am foggy on it now. But might be worth a call to them, surely the salesman would remember it and it's possible they might have it around or know where it went or who built it.

Having searched high and low in 2009 for an old RV, I think you might want to pass on Miss Possum as it sounds like a money pit of sheer frustration. There are tons of old used RV's on the market that are functioning without the substantial damages you mention.  Finding the right floor plan on an older working unit that can easily be converted for a wheel chair sounds like a valid option.

Sounds like you can't afford new, but this new RV site builds mobility RV's for wheel chairs, you can at least get some ideas from their website or search for one used across the internet.

http://www.bornfreerv.com/#!born-free-mobility-rv/c16yg

Your first expense will be having a thorough inspection of the entire vehicle.  As mentioned there is probably structural damage to the roof and area by the sky window.  That's minor compared to serious safety concerns.  When motor vehicles sit for extended periods of time everything rots.  Assuming  it has hydraulic brakes, all hydraulic brakes lines, wheel cylinders/calipers, drums/rotors need inspection.  Brakes along could cost 5 thousand dollars.  How rotted is the chassis?  Then there's the engine and drive train.  Is it possible to have it taken for a test drive?  I suspect this will be a money pit, and undependable if put into use.  I have a lifetime of automotive experience, repair and inspection of everything on the road. 

I sense your excitement BUT I give caution to the purchase you are about to make.  It does not sound like a very reliable  vehicle.  You sure do not want to be stranded out on the road.  I'd keep on looking for  a rig with  fewer issues. 
I do think the  living quarters of a horse trailer might better suit  you for  a while.  The weight of a  trailer with horses for your older  RV is going to be an issue.
The places you mention are beautiful but you want to get there safely!

Hey, if everything goes as I hope I should hit Transylvania County 1-3 days after Thanksgiving.  I hope, I Hope...Normally however I don't stop there, Continue on to SC (Oconee County)

Just my 2 cents...

I surely don't want to curb your enthusiasm in any way, but you have numerous considerations you need to map out how you plan to accomplish them. If you're income and energy is unlimited, this may not be a problem. But if you are juggling a budget, an RV, a wheel chair bound son and 2 horses and their trailer, already you have your plate stacked high and flowing over the edges.

When you move from sticks and bricks to an RV as a fulltime abode, your whole life changes.

Most people want to pick up their exact life in a regular home and duplicate it exactly in an RV thinking the only difference will be driving their home around at will.

One of the major deal breakers is realizing your access to utilities becomes different especially when it comes to super fast reliable internet and cell phone coverage. Ditto for TV reception or access to cable TV or satellite reception.

You are talking about hauling around horses with you too. This means you will need to find parks accepting horses as your pets. While there are equestrian parks, all parks may not be as accepting.

Also, you will be confined to picking large pull-through spots to accommodate your horse trailer. Other wise, you have to unload the horses, secure them, then figure out how to unload the trailer from the RV, get the trailer parked, then get the RV parked. When you leave, it's time to do it all again in reverse.

Even if you qualify for handicapped spots in the campground, they vary widely in accommodation and not always the best spots with perfect access. I've seen many that are back-ins. Some are small and I've seen ones that are dirt on a severe grade.They tend to get booked up quickly and many parks allow folks to reserve them, even if they are not handicapped. Apparently the requirements for handicapped camping are pretty broad from the sites I've seen in the parks I've been to.

From what I've seen, the cost of speedy internet provided within the park is driving up the nightly costs considerably. When you have a lot of requirements, you have to set aside a lot of time to do research into which parks will fit your situation and where they are located in relation to where you want to go.

You still have to buy groceries and if you're towing a horse trailer you won't have a car to tow.

While I am traveling in a 28 foot RV without  a car and managing to get my errands and shopping done, there's a huge difference when you are pulling a horse trailer around with horses in it or even towing a car.

Before you enter a parking lot, you have to make sure you can get back out again. Asking everyone else to clear the parking lot if you goof may not always be an option, though I know of at least one person who did this and lived to tell about it. 

Another major issue is just how much stuff you can take with you. You also have to be able to secure all your stuff while bouncing down the road.

I've always had laptops but when mine died, someone gave me a desktop computer to use because they no longer wanted it in their RV because it took up too much room. It was a nightmare for me to figure out where and how to stow it safely when I was driving. None of the components fit inside any of my existing cabinets. It was always in the way, whether being stowed or consuming the entire dinette table which I like to use my table for a wide variety of projects, not just a fulltime computer desk.As quick as I could afford a refurbished laptop, I regifted the desktop that was hogging so much room. On a funny note, another RV owner took it.

They do make 5th wheel trailers that accommodate horses in back and living space up front but you need a truck that can tow all that.

Maybe get out some pen and paper then work through all your requirements. Do some research about which parks allow horses and what the nightly or weekly or monthly costs will be there. Look into the cost of speedy internet air cards or parks with speedy Wifi or some travel with a satellite for internet, but it's not a bargain.

Good luck on your adventures.

On another note, if you are simply relocating... and not planning to travel, then it might be easier to move to the area, then buy the RV to live in after finding accommodations for your horses etc.

Thanks Bill, but only one horse. Trailer, horse and feed will max out at no more than 4000 lbs. Possum can pull up to 5000, and motor/tranny checked out. Needs a radiator though! Can't do the horse trailer with living quarters as I don't have a truck, and there wouldn't be enough room for motorized wheelchair. The horse trailer camper will have to wait until I get there!  :D  The story will be eventually be published in Adventures With Tracey, Volume III!!  Until then, a blog will have to do . . . I'll let you know when it's up!

Tracey

driftless shifter said:
2 horses might be a bit much for an old gasser class A to tote around.
Did you know there are horse trailers with living quarters? Ramped access already there?
I don't know anything about them. Some ranchers use them, Maybe some one will chime in.
Slow down on purchasing anything immediately, until you know more about what you really need, to do this.
Good luck, looking forward to following your adventure.

Bill

Hey Miss Mermaid, Glad to meet you!

Problem with these accessible units is that they are WAY out of my league financially. I will definitely check out that web site for ideas though. Might even give them a call to ask about modifications. Thanks!!

Tracey

DearMissMermaid said:
I saw a used RV already built for wheel chair living.

I was at Porters RV in South Carolina a few months ago. Their website is never up to date on the current inventory so you might need to call them,  but the folks there are super nice and easy to deal with. I stop by often because they always have everyone of their RV's unlocked for customers to self-tour without a salesman in tow. I wish all used lots would do this!

Anyhow...

They had a used RV for sale that was set up for a wheel chair, though I don't recall seeing a lift, maybe they had a ramp, I just took a quick tour and kept moving to the next one.  But it was an open plan with floor to ceiling curtains instead of interior walls and doors. There was a curtain for the bedroom that ran from one side of the RV to the other. The toilet area had a floor to ceiling curtain and was the proper height for transferring from a wheel chair to the commode and the shower was a roll in type for the wheel chair transfer. As I recall it was a unique Class C, but could have been an A, I am foggy on it now. But might be worth a call to them, surely the salesman would remember it and it's possible they might have it around or know where it went or who built it.

Having searched high and low in 2009 for an old RV, I think you might want to pass on Miss Possum as it sounds like a money pit of sheer frustration. There are tons of old used RV's on the market that are functioning without the substantial damages you mention.  Finding the right floor plan on an older working unit that can easily be converted for a wheel chair sounds like a valid option.

Sounds like you can't afford new, but this new RV site builds mobility RV's for wheel chairs, you can at least get some ideas from their website or search for one used across the internet.

http://www.bornfreerv.com/#!born-free-mobility-rv/c16yg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom