K&N air filter experiences ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusterdoo

Heard the K&N brand of air filters are great for increased gas mileage, has anyone else had any experience with this brand of air filter? I wonder if the extra cost is worth the price...THanks.

I have had varying results.

In my 1995 Jeep YJ, I went to platinum spark plugs and put a K&N insert at the same time, I saw a 2 to 3 MPG increase and a small increase in low end torque

In my 1997 Honda Civic, I saw a small (very small) increase in low end torque, no change in MPG

In my 2002 Nissan Xterra, if difference there was, it was too small to notice.

If you let more air in, it can only improve to a certain point, after that you also need to upgrade the exhaust to let the added air out at the other end to get the full benefit.  Depending on the make and model of vehicle, the differences can be quite noticeable and on others not so much.

They are higher prices and have less restriction than do others. so that to me means allowing lots of junk into Carburation system.  JMHO

I installed one on my 1989 Bronco  a few years ago.  I saw no improvement and woundn't buy K&N again.

Dusterdoo said:
Heard the K&N brand of air filters are great for increased gas mileage, has anyone else had any experience with this brand of air filter? I wonder if the extra cost is worth the price...THanks.

The last filter charts I remember seeing the K&N filters were the worst for doing a filters job.  While they do allow more volume of air to flow through them they also allow more particles (dirt etc.) to pass throught too.  I wouldn't install a K&N filter on anything I own.

I run K&N on my towed, My "Feeling" is I got a bit more power with the K&N, but not a lot, more power generally means a bit more millage but to be honest I've been running that filter now for many years and in fact replaced the engine during that time so I don't have figures for the current power plant.

As for allowing junk in.. I've heard this claim many many times,  My brother used to race dirt bikes, Can you imagine a worse enviorment (Or a better test of an air filter?) I can, but I have to work at it,  These engines are tore down often cause they way over rev and over stress them and never, NEVER has one of the K&N folks had any evidence of dirt getting past the filters.  It is not in the nature of oiled filters to let "Junk" past. I'd say they are as good as, or better than, OEM for filtration.

HOWEVER:  If you over-oil the filter,  Or do not let it properly dry,  Then the excess oil can indeed get sucked downline and can cause problems with at least one of the sensors there MAP IIRC)

That said.  I do tend to over oil, Only had a MAP sensor problem one time... (The engine gave me a MAP SENSOR FAULT code) I hooked the sensor back up (It had been uhooked during other work and as I'd rushed the man a bit he forgot to hook it back up) and it worked perfectly,, at least as recently as 20 minutes ago when I last parked the car (The MAP sensor was NOT replaced with the engine a few years back.  It's 16 years old

Oiled air filters are more hassle than they are worth esp. if it is for a Turbo diesel 'cause the turbo will suck that oil right off & allow way too much dirt in. U need to get an Amsoil EaA fitler. It is a drop in filter & it is a dry filter that filters better & allows more airflow than all factory & the majority of aftermarket airfilters. I'm not an Amsoil dealer, Ive just done alot of research on the subject of filtration. HTH

John I will look to see if I still have the chart comparing filter quality.  Like I said K&N was the worst for filtration.  As I recall these test were done in a lab under controlled conditions.  For anyone using them it will scare the heck out of you if you are diligent in caring for your equipment.

I used them on two vehicles and my experience was poor.  There was no noticeable improvement in performance to justify the high cost and the use of a proprietary "secret" oil was just too messy and not worth the inconvenience.

Ron's reference to the poor filtration would give me another good reason for not using one on any vehicle I own.

Ron said:
John I will look to see if I still have the chart comparing filter quality.  Like I said K&N was the worst for filtration.  As I recall these test were done in a lab under controlled conditions.  For anyone using them it will scare the heck out of you if you are diligent in caring for your equipment.

Ron, though I've never read a report on the K&N filters from a lab

I've read many lab reports where I have some knowledge of the science involved and the testing methods involved and many of those did, in fact, scare me.  But not for the reasons you might think.

I'd welcome seeing the report you have

Dusterdoo said:

You didn't mention your vehicle - but if it's a 6.0L Ford, you don't want to mess with the OEM air system. I've read many reports that show that there isn't any aftermarket filters that even come close to the OEM filter for both filtration and air flow. Also, as sensitive as the variable vain turbos are, it takes but a small amount of dust to destroy the turbos.

Larry

Great comments ! I was asking for my Jayco 1997 24" Class C Ford F350 V10...Sounds like Ill skip this filter...

Hey just for giggles I'll throw in:

I've not read all the data and charts for the filters, nor done any side by side analysis one over the other. The only thing I've done is used the K&N repeatedly in a wide variety of vehicles. I started using the K&N in my ATV's that I raced at our sand dunes. I NEVER once had an issue with debris getting past the filter. Also, on the ATV's you can honestly feel the increase in power. I'm sure because it is a smaller vehicle and it doesn't take as much to make a difference.

In addition to my ATV's I also run a K&N on my Jeep Wrangler. Granted it spends more time on the road than in the dirt. It spends a lot more time in the dirt than a lot of vehicles and again, I have no complaints. Was there an increase in power or gas mileage, I don't know, I bought it with the filter on.

Lastly,then I'll shut up, When I installed a banks system exhaust on my MH with a 454 Chevy motor, the stinger system came with a K&N Filter (even though it had the Banks branding).  I can't say that the K&N alone, improved the power on my MH, I sincerely believe in was part of the equation, by allowing more air flow.

Again, I haven't studied the charts, but through experience I have come to rely on the K&N system, and it is worth the extra effort to me, in cleaning and re-oiling the filter rather than throwing it away.

Now to answer your question, do they improve gas mileage. Even if they do, you will not notice an increase in gas mileage with simply the addition of a K&N. My friend put one on his truck with a 454 and didn't notice a thing. So if that is the only reason you would go with the K&N it probably isn't worth the extra effort, unless your going wheelin with the MH, then I would highly recommend it's added protection. 

(In MY Opinion)

Back
Top Bottom