Kansas City campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

We are planning a stop in Kansas City during our summer travels to sample some of the famous barbecue, but are not having much luck finding a campground. My information says for BBQ, I want to be in KC Kansas - Walnut Grove RV Park in Shawnee (?) appears to be more suited for a small RV. Other campgrounds in the area seem to be some 20 plus miles away from a campground.

Do you have any information/advice for a person wanting to spend a few days sampling the BBQ? 

Your right about Walnut Grove, we took our 34 footer in there about a year ago, I felt like we were parked in someones back yard.
The spaces were not designed for large rigs with slides. We had to bring our slides in so the neighbor could park, then we could extend them again, but you could not walk between the slides, also the Wi-Fi was very week then-
I have not been able to find a good big park yet within 30 miles of KC. I'm still looking

Cottonwood in KC Kansas, easy of I 70. I would give it a weak 5 out of 10.  Unless they improved it since last year.

We camped about 5 days last year at Walnut Grove in our 40 ft motorhome.  It worked great for us.

We then moved to Lake Jacomo campground a county campground for a couple of weeks.  The lake campground was much nicer, but longer distance from most things in the KC area.

And by the way there is great BBQ in both states.  I prefer the Missouri side because I lived there about 20 years ago.  :)

First off the BBQ are all over town.  Most of the more famous ones are on the MO side though.  We here are spoiled, we like the ribs from---XXX, the beans from YYY and the slaw from ZZZ.  So if you have questions ask anybody from KC and you will get a different answer.

The CG you refer to in Shawnee is not very nice.  There is one at Worlds of Fun on the MO side.  Also there is one east on I 70 Just east of Blue Springs.  Which is like 20 min drive.

Also look in the Smithville, MO area near Smithville lake.  There is a report of sites there.  That would be a 30 min drive.

Google Woodals for a compleat list.

Many things to do here.  WW1 museum, Union Station, The River Boat Arabia museum, Truman Library.  Jazz mueseum./......etc

PM me with questions.

Thanks everyone, for the tips, and confirming my opinion of Walnut Grove Campground. Longview, Blue Springs and Jacomo parks in Missouri are looking more attractive, even with a long drive. However, if someone was to point out the great BBQ joints in KC, MO that would be great!  :)

Thought I did that.

The problem you will have is what makes a good BBQ joint.  Here most people will like the ribs from ZZZ while they like the sliced meet from XXX and the beans from YYY.  So when you ask what is the best BBQ joint in town almost every time you ask someone different you will get a different answer.

But to list a few:
Gates---several locations
Bryants----Several locations
Jacks Stack---Several locations
Haywards
Rosedale
Zarda---several locations

The drive for any of the CG yo mentioned is less than 30 min.

Many things to do here.  WW1 museum, Union Station, The River Boat Arabia museum, Truman Library.  Jazz mueseum./......etc

PM me with questions.

If you're willing to drive about 3o miles to KC, KS, Peculiar RV Park in Peculiar, MO is a great park.

Having resided in KCMO for a number of years, my only recommendation would be the rv park next to Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun amusement park.  Your right off the interstate(I435), 1/4 mile to a large Cummins-Onan facility, large GMC dealership and large Ford dealership should you need any maintenance.
http://www.worldsoffun.com/places-to-stay/worlds-of-fun-village
The other cg's previously mentioned are less than optimal quality and don't offer that many amenities.  Another one not mentioned is Basswood RV park and also leaves much to be desired.  There are many BBQ restaurants in and around KCMO and KCKS but some of our favorites are SmokeHouse @ the Zona Rosa Shopping Center and Famous Daves BBQ, Bryants BBQ at the Legends Shopping Center in KCKS.    One other thing to is breakfast at the Corner Cafe, I35 and 152 Hwy.  The service and food is outstanding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom