Kearney NE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jemz

As we plan out our trip to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone, we are trying to stop every 300-400 miles to camp (with 5 kids 9 and under, they need to get out and play to be happy!)  So, we're thinking about Kearney NE as one of the overnight stays.  A quick search for campgrounds didn't come up with anything fancy (the kids love campgrounds like Jellystone or others with lots of fun amenities) and that's fine.  But do you recommend any particular campground?  Or is there another stop off I-80 in NE that would be better?

You're right, not much there with "kiddie" facilities.  About the closest I find is the Grand Island KOA on I-80 just southeast of Grand Island.  Never been there, but the ratings seem good.

Stayed at the Grand Island KOA last Sept, friendly staff, clean and would stay there again if in that area. Easy to get to from I-80 and back on.

Stayed in Kearny once at Clyde & vi's or something like that.  It didn't make our bottom two list but it is close.

Last time through there I stayed at Holiday RV Park Campground in North Platte. Pleasant place, Nice pool but other than that, not much for kids.

Joel

There is a Cabelas in Kearney with large parking lot with an large RV section. Not sure if they allow boondocking. The Cabelas in Sydney doea have a RV park with full hookups. Kids love to wander thru a Cabelas store...both young and old kids. :)

If you have any historical interest,  Ft Kearney is worth a stop.  While there make sure to purchase 2 booklets  One details Driving directions from Independence Mo to Ft Kearney on the Oregon Trail. The other details directions from Ft Kearney to Oregon.  They are incredibly detailed giving specific turns, distances etc to intersections with the Trail and modern roads also points out numerous points of interest. 

I had done a search to find out just this sort of thing about the Trail and mostly found generic lesson plans for elementary students. 

These books are for a serious History Buff.  About $20 for both.

Stan,  Sorry I do not.  I only found the other one's by accident.  We had watched the video presentation and we were leaving and I just happened to see them on the way past the check out stand.

Do a Google search,  I did and there is a lot of stuff but most looks like my original search for the Oregon trail.  Lesson Plans and maps etc.

Tom...

If you do stop at Kearney then be sure to visit the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument (also called The Archway or Kearney Arch) which spans I-80.  They have exhibits about the western expansion along the Platte River and the docents were great with children.  While we were there the children listened to wonderful stories told by the docents.  Also about 15-20 miles south is the Harold Warp Pioneer Village in Minden which is a great place for kids to see old "stuff" from bygone days and learn about life on the prairie.  Someone else mentioned Fort Kearney.  We spent several very interesting days in the area.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom