keep milk bottles from leaking when stored on sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I like Shamrock dairy products here in AZ.  My fridge is one of those 3.2 cu ft bar fridges.  I really need the shelves, so removing one to create tall storage would not work well.  I have to store tall bottles on their sides in the fridge.  Has anyone thought of ways to seal them sufficiently so they won't leak?  The Shamrocks are the hard plastic bottles with screw tops, not the waxed cardboard.  I don't like transferring the milk to another container.  I feel Shamrock does a better job sanitizing their bottles than anything I could do.

Interesting question.  So I put it to the pro - the missus.  She told me that (at least with milk cartons) once you take out the first glassful, you can lay it on it's side, but prop up the front of it with paper towels or a rag, and that takes the pressure off the cap.  You can try it anyway, everything like that she comes up with always seems to work.  Women, you can't live with them, or keep the milk from leaking without them!  Good luck.

Pat:
Couple of suggestions.  Put a piece of cling wrap, or wax paper under the lid before sealing it.

Also, you could buy a box of "one time use" rubber gloves (the medical kind) and cut the fingers and thumbs off, which should stretch over the cap when sealed.

I experimented with a rolled mini 'device' (similar to a prophylactic  ::)) called a "finger cot", which I thought might stretch over the top but they are not large enough to stretch over the bottle cap.

Try the rubber glove thing.

Gord

You could just go with the prophylactic, they are what, 97% leak proof. lol.  sorry no good answer just being a smart azz.

We have the same issue, so my DW uses empty Miracle Whip plastic jars (look to be about 1 qt).  They will sit upright without adjusting the shelves.  To recognize them, they are about 3-4" in dia. and 6" tall and commonly have a large blue lid.  She recommends soaking them in bleach water after each trip to prevent the milk from spoiling quickly (this would be true for any container you might transfer the milk to).

The OP said they did not want to transfer the milk to another container.  The Saran Wrap has worked for me.

The cling wrap came to mind from something we did years ago.  After first use, I twisted the cap as tight as it was willing to go.  I have it in the vegetable bin on a paper towel.  If it does leak, like a previous bottle did, the milk will pool (and sour) neatly in the bin. 

Hey, how about just pouring the milk into (1 or 2) of those big quart zip lock sealable freezer bags, and bleeding out all the air? 
Maybe put the first bag into a second to avoid leaks. 
That squishy, milk-filled bag will fit anywhere.

I know you said you didn't want to transfer from one contain to another, but if the original contain isn't cutting it, some concessions may be in order.

Back
Top Bottom