Keeping 5th Wheel plugged in over winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montanaman42

I will be leaving my trailer for the winter and was wondering if I could just leave it plugged in to keep the batteries charged or do I have to get a trickle charger? What is the downside to keeping it plugged in? Really appreciate all the input.

As long as your converter (converts 120VAC to 12VDC) is a newer multi stage converter, you should be fine.  Make sure the water level in the batteries is correct.  Older converters or even cheap trickle chargers can cook the batteries.  If you can provide the converter model, some of our geniuses can tell you for sure if you are okay.  Even a camper / coach brand, model and age will help.

I use to do it years ago but I had the converter plugged into a timer. It was set so the converter  would run 1 hour a day.

It's a 2000 Fleetwood Terry EX 30G. Is that too old of  a converter? I can have someone turn it on every now and then instead of all the time.

Old thread, but may help with your decision.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=20286.0

I wouldn't trust a Parallax 7400, and Even Parallax recommends that it NOT be used for extended periods. This excerpt is from the 7400 manual:

The Parallax 7400 Series (non Option T) has been factory
set at a nominal 13.8 volts output for battery charging. 
On non-maintenance free batteries check water level often. Do
not allow the battery cell plates to become exposed to the air.
Poor battery performance will result. Parallax recommends
disconnecting batteries during extended periods of inactive
use or storage...

One method is the plug the coach into an appliance timer (using a 15A adapter) and setting it to power on only 1-2 hours per day. That should be enough to prevent over-charging and reduce water loss to a bare minimum.

I'll be stepping down from a 50amp outlet but if there is no problem with that then I will definitely get the timer and set for 1 hour daily. Purchasing a different type of converter at the moment is out of my budget for the moment. Need all I have to get to my next job. Thank you all so much. If doing the 1hr interval from an appliance timer on a 50amp doesn't raise any red flags then that's my move!

Instead of buying a timer, why not just get the proper charger? A Deltran Battery Tender Plus is about 50 bucks.

On sale

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

This confuses me, I am also living in Montana camper for the winter while lifting home.  I have it hooked up to temp pole with a 50 amp hook up since July.  I have just been leaving it plugged in.  Not sure what everyone means by using timers and charging 1 hour a day? Is that for battery?  I've just been using trailer without anything like that.  I haven't even checked the battery, not sure were it is, maybe in back storage??  Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks

albertm1960 said:
This confuses me, I am also living in Montana camper for the winter while lifting home.  I have it hooked up to temp pole with a 50 amp hook up since July.  I have just been leaving it plugged in.  Not sure what everyone means by using timers and charging 1 hour a day? Is that for battery?  I've just been using trailer without anything like that.  I haven't even checked the battery, not sure were it is, maybe in back storage??  Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks

The OP was closing up their RV for the winter and wanted to know if it was OPK to leave it plugged in all the time while not being used. Some members use battery tenders which keepthe batteries charged and others use timers. If timers are not used, the convertor would run all the time.  I had my timer set so it would turn on the converter for 1 hour everyday and keeping the battery charged.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I wouldn't trust a Parallax 7400, and Even Parallax recommends that it NOT be used for extended periods.

This is good to know, as I have a parallax 7300.  My battery survived last winter when I was away for six months.  I think I will pull it this year though.  It would be a shame to cook a good $120 battery.

kdbgoat said:
On sale

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

I second the motion for this product.  $29.99 is a bargain.  I got nearly ten years out of a lawnmower battery using a Battery Minder.  The old trickle charger killed them every year.

Albert:

To directly answer your question, since you are using your camper daily, and therefore using the battery daily, you are fine.  I suspect you had already figured this out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom