Keeping Fridge Cool down the road.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HappyWanderer said:
Me. Always. Without fail.

I've seen houses catch fire because of gas cans stored in the basement near the furnace, and a person severely burned when gasoline vapors ignited from a brush fire. I guess you could say it leaves an impression.

In my mind, it's no trouble at all to press the button and turn off the fridge. Normally, it just means the DW walks back in the MH before we turn into the gas station. If I'm alone, I'll find a place to stop.

So you're turning off the fridge, and I would assume also the water heater, but you're not shutting off the propane, right?  That's the part I was getting at.

I make an effort to remember to turn everything off when I fuel up, but I have forgotten in the past. It just doesn't make good sense to not implement common sense safety practices. Because it is illegal in our State insurance probably would not cover a claim if the 1:1,000,000 did occur. It is not a big deal to turn the refrigerator off/on, and the propane tank has safety features to prevent accidents so I don't worry about shutting it off at the tank.

Because it is illegal in our State insurance probably would not cover a claim if the 1:1,000,000 did occur.

It would have to be a felony crime for that to happen, and even then it is doubtful. Your insurance still covers you when dumb things are done, even illegal dumb things. An accident while speeding, for example. Or setting the house on fire with the BBQ grill in the garage. Look at your policy - usually the only grounds for denial of a claim are use of the vehicle in the commission of a felony crime or fraud against the insurer.

but you're not shutting off the propane, right?

Right. The only reason to shut off the propane would be as a shortcut to turning off pilot lights. And since modern LP systems generally have DSI or piezo igniters rather than pilot lights, turning off the LP tank is not effective anyway. In fact, turning off the LP may cause the auto-igniters to spark continuously, thuis creating the very thing that you are required to avoid when fueling, i.e. sparks or open flames.

blw2 said:
So you're turning off the fridge, and I would assume also the water heater, but you're not shutting off the propane, right?  That's the part I was getting at.

Yup ... stop short, away from pumps ... shut off frig, water heater, furnaces and generator as required. 

I even go one step further and hit battery disconnect on the way out the door ... no DC = no DSI igniters firing.  Ya ... probably overkill, but covers a missed switch ...kind of belt and suspenders I guess.

Fuel ... pull away from pumps and turn back on frig and whatever else needed.

Have I forgot to turn frig back on ... ya ... occasionally.  ;D

Howard

HappyWanderer said:
I've never traveled with the water heater or furnace running. Is that common practice?

It is for us ... some would disagree.  We at times use the rig in the winter months and need both to keep water system from freezing up, not to mention us.  The Southwind has heat ducted to some of the basement compartments from the furnaces ... usually works for us down to 15-20* or lower.

Howard

I used my fridge this last weekend on Propane and it worked like a charm!  The only issue I had is someone got a little intoxicated and bumped it one night and it froze everything in the fridge except the beer lol..  Needless to say our fridge worked great and kept all of our food cold!  Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear that it worked fine, and I take it that you didn't have to a long period of starting the fridge.  As for the water heater, I would only consider if there was a real threat if freezing, the water heats in a few minutes, so no need to keep it running, and yes many/most of us use the furnace if we are travelling in cold climes since the dash heat does not have the ability to heat the coach.

Ed

Battery Disconnect switch do all travel trailers have one someplace?  I would really like one in mine because something is draing my battery all the time.  Or whats the best way to put one in?

One of these will work and are easy to install right at the battery.

Keep in mind that if you turn the refrigerator off to refuel, when you turn it back on you will almost be guaranteed that the DSI will try to ignite the propane. Therefore, make sure you don't turn it back on until you leave the gas station. I don't turn mine off, but I stop at the diesel pumps, and my refrigerator is on the opposite side and 20' or so behind me.

The low flammability of diesel makes sparking a non-issue, but state laws rarely make exceptions. A fuel pump is a fuel pump in the eyes of the fire marshall.  :mad:

So if I put in one of those battery disconnects on my battery and then just "disconnected" the battery all should be good right?  No need to go into the trailer and turn off the fridge or anything else.  If this is all that would be needed it would be real easy to do since it seems like many times I have to wait for a minute for the "right" pump to open up anyway.

Should be OK for powering down but you might want to check and be sure that the fridge will re-start without having to go inside and re-push the ON/OFF button when you put the power back on.

there are also people that fill up gas cans that were in trucks beds with plastic bed liners,
that's a real no-no.
static electricity is a very real threat with both metal and plastic gas cans.
you are supposed to connect a static strap to a gas can. ..... Have you ever seen anyone ever use one of these ?

so to be really safe you need to wait until everyone is out of the gas pump bays.

Yep, I cringe in the winter when the ladies in their nylon jackets get back in the car until the pump clicks off. They slide across the seat, jump out of the car and grab the nozzle. I keep expecting to hear that familiar "whump" of igniting vapors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom