Keeping it all safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

With-a-k

I'm a newbie, and there are years of posts on here, so please excuse me if this question has been repeatedly asked. I am concerned about campground safety. I know that on our particular brand of RV, the locks to to the wards are a general key, anyone's will fit. That means if someone really wanted to break in, they easily could through a bunk. What kind of security measures have worked for you seasoned folks? Am I being overly cautious? Also, we can't store our TT on our home property, so we will need to pay a storage facility. Should I expect there to be break in problems? We live in a semi rural area, a mixture of rural and suburban areas. Not a high crime area at all, but definitely on the edge of farms and whatnot.

I store mine at home, so don't have those worries, but if I were storing it at a storage place, I would take the battery, the propane tanks, the hitch and weight distribution bars and keep them at home.
Naturally I would not leave anything else of value in the TT

Jack L

I agree with Jack L, I would not worry too much about the key. Most TT's are fairly easy to break into anyway even without a key.

I also keep mine stored in a locked facility with security cameras close to home and check on it regularly.  Every two weeks or so. 

Had a friend who stored his TT on a farm somewhere, no where near to the home/outbuildings.  Imagine his surprise when he went to get it in the Spring to prepare for the annual family jaunt to the beach, and discovered it was gone!  Could've been gone 4 months or more!

Vigilance is key.

When I'm in it and camping I'm not too worried about security.  I've rarely seen any neighbors in my campgrounds who give me pause.  I've even forgotten to lock it once or twice while going on a day long outing.  I do lock up at night, and then sleep soundly with no worries.  Maybe I'm too trusting when camping, and too non-trusting when not! 

I think the OP is asking about campground safety, which might indicate concern of breakin while at a campground.

We tend to go more to state parks, the same places we used to go in our popup tent camper, and tent before that.  Not too worried about it there....
At most, i'm worried about a kid trying to go in my coach, while confused because mine looks just like his parents'.....

I think generally this is also true at RV parks too.

You can't spend your time worrying about safety or you won't have fun. We generally stay at RV parks or occasionally a rest area or Walmart.  At the RV parks I leave all the compartments unlocked as everyone has a key, my Weber grill sits on the table along with a 5gal propane tank, all the chairs are out and our bicycles.  Never had a problem(knockonwood).  I do lock and deadbolt the front door when sleeping or gone but that's it. I guess I'm just a trusting sole who thinks we are all there doing the same thing with everyone to busy doing there own thing to worry about this issue.

I have been in many campgrounds over the years as I don't dry camp much and very little time in state parks. I have never encountered a problem with theft or things of that nature. Not to say it never happens, just saying that I would worry more about your storage place than I would about a typical campground. 

With-a-k said:
I'm a newbie, and there are years of posts on here, so please excuse me if this question has been repeatedly asked. I am concerned about campground safety. I know that on our particular brand of RV, the locks to to the wards are a general key, anyone's will fit. That means if someone really wanted to break in, they easily could through a bunk. What kind of security measures have worked for you seasoned folks? Am I being overly cautious? Also, we can't store our TT on our home property, so we will need to pay a storage facility. Should I expect there to be break in problems? We live in a semi rural area, a mixture of rural and suburban areas. Not a high crime area at all, but definitely on the edge of farms and whatnot.

It's generally not a problem, but to be on the safe side we keep valuables (purses, wallets, electronics, etc.) in our car when we are away from the MH.

Common sense goes a long way towards keeping your family and belongings safe at a campground. Just like at home or leaving your car parked at the mall, don't make yourself a target for thieves. That means keeping valuables out of sight or locked up, and not free for the taking by someone walking by.

We carry a couple of 25 foot steel cables used for dog runs, and a couple of padlocks. It only takes a minute to secure kayaks, bikes, the grill and propane tank to the picnic table, a tree, or whatever. We're not paranoid, just realistic. We have some fairly expensive toys that we'd like to hang onto.

Ditto other replies. Most campers are respectable of others. We watch each others back. There are a few who are shady, but few and far between. Common sense in locking everything up and securing outside items are expected. Beyond that, if anyone wanted to get in, they will. Don't worry too much about it.

During storage, check your storage facility policy for break-in and vandalism. Just in case. If you're in a rural area, maybe ask the closest local farmer to check in on your RV from time to time. Buy him a steak dinner come Spring or pass on a few bucks to make it worth his while to peek at your RV while in storage.
Just a thought.

Also remember the point of diminishing return, I retired from the aviation field and always warned aircraft owners  about too much "security", I found it unrealistic to force a thief to do $10,000 in damage to the aircraft to steal a $1500. radio.>>>Dan

In over 50 years using our RVs, we have never been concerned with "safety". We believe that the risks are no greater than traveling any other way. Just keep alert and use common sense. I do have "Smith and Wesson Insurance" for the potential real safety risks. But thefts are a minor concern.

The only theft problem that we ever had was some years ago, with an RV that carried the sewer hose in the rear bumper. One night, while we slept, in a commercial RV Camp Park in Texas, someone stole our sewer hose from the bumper storage. I suspect that it was probably someone who did not have a sewer hose with them and needed one. At any rate, someone stole ours.

When we were ready to leave the park the following morning I discovered that our hose was missing and the end cap of the bumper was left hanging loose. We drove away without emptying our tanks that morning and I purchased a new sewer hose that day on our trip at a WalMart Store.

Our current RV, a Monty, does not have a bumper storage for a sewer hose. We store the hose in a small plastic tub inside the rear storeage compartment, locked.

Thanks for everyone's'so input. I'm not a super paranoid person about theft, I'm usually pretty laid back about it, but being new to the lifestyle and campgrounds, I thought I'd ask. Personally, I would never travel with a gun, I'd rather just get robbed. Since we will be staying at Yosemite for a few night, perhaps I should only be concerned about bears stealing our food!

I am an older lady who has been full-timing along for almost three years.  I don't keep a lot of valuables with me, but in any case I have never ever been bothered by anyone or had anything taken.  I leave my sewer compartment unlocked on the theory that if someone is so desperate that they need to steal my dirty sewer stuff, they are welcome to it.

The only thing I do when I go out exploring in my motorhome for the day is leave a sign that the site is occupied.  (I have no towed vehicle so I have to drive the whole rig if I go out)  Without the sign and sometimes even with the sign, I am getting tired of people chasing me out to tell me I have forgotten my water hose!!

I think at least state and national parks where I mostly stay are safer and quieter than my old condo neighborhood 

Since we will be staying at Yosemite for a few night, perhaps I should only be concerned about bears stealing our food!
Just as an FYI since you are new I will add that this is a very real occurrence in certain places. I have been in Alaska in numerous places where you didn't necessarily bar-b-que outside or leave you cooler laying around for just that reason. Always pack everything inside that has anything to do with food if you're not sure, and have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom