Keyless entry - replacement of old system or retrofitting to one without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff,
I don't mean to insult, but you did try repositioning the battery, right? You know, just in case it is in upside down or some how out of position?

System Replacement

I have a message from Winnebago that says that Winnebago part 151458-01-000 can be replaced with the Trimark system and a Cable from Winnebago. I am trying to determine if that same cable and Trimark unit will work with the system on My 2004 Horizon 40AD with part number 102756-03-000 anyone have any information on this?

emiddleb said:
The current issue of WIT Mag (June/July 2013) has a great write-up on retrofitting the SCS system to the newer Tri-Mark system.  Has all the part #s needed, a diagram, and other good info. 

One note for older coaches (yeah, my 2004) is that RVs built prior to Spring of 2004 may have an older SCS system that cannot be simply upgraded with the wiring harness.. the connectors are different.

They recommend pulling your parts list from http://dealer.winnebagoind.com/unitsearch/parts.htm (you need your Winnie serial #) and searching for part #s of the old SCS system.  Apparently if you have the #151458 or #176367 SCS systems the harness adaptor will work but if you have the #102756 system (like mine in my 2004 Vectra) the harness will not work. 

They say for those older systems the new Tri-Mark System will work but must be hardwired, dealer installation recommended.

Craig,
According to Ed's earlier post, no.

I did not locate that post in my reading, so thanks. Guess I need more practice using the search function to find posts, as I tried to searching on the complete part number.

I hope he is wrong because Eric at Winnebago service told me, yes it would work, late yesterday, and I told my dealer to go ahead with the work. However, I believe they can do the wiring if required.

Craig,

What the article stated was that if you have the newer #151458 or #176367 systems, Winne has a wiring adaptor harness that lets you plug into the existing chassis cables and use the newer system.  Sounded like a 15 minute job almost anyone can do when bored at a campground.  Unplug a couple cables, unscrew the old unit, screw in the new, and connect with the adaptor harness.

If you have the older #102756 like you and I, you will still be able to install the new system but the wiring must be cut/hardwired... not for the faint-of-heart.  Have to cut cables, know which wire does what, splice etc.  The article did say dealer installation recommended in that case, which is exactly what Winnie is telling you.

No conflict in the info, just a case of how easy (or not) to convert to the new system.

Let us know how your install works out... I need to go through that process too at some point.

Ed

The system on my 07 Tour KD quit also. I went to Tom Johnson RV while in the Charlotte/Concord area. The parts dept. was very helpful in finding out about the replacement system, ording and shipping it to me. Cost was right at $300 and I did the installation myself in about 30 minutes. Works great.

The beginnings of adding keyless entry to my motorhome...

That's a Towncar keypad sitting on a 1993 Cougar keyless entry module powered up on my workbench. Figured I'd make it work on the bench before I did all the work of putting it in my motorhome.

Attachments

• IMG_20140210_215502_609_zps9bs6153z[1].jpg
    IMG_20140210_215502_609_zps9bs6153z[1].jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 31
I had Camping World replace the keyless remote system on my 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom last fall. A TriMark system directly from Winnebago. This replacement has a flaw, as others have documented on irv2.com. The porch light comes on when the door unlock button is pressed. When you turn on the porch light manuallly it is very dim, and moments later trips the 12V breaker. Somehow, apparently it is back-feeding the remote module. That should be fixable by installing a diode in the line between the porch light and remote module, not yet performed though.
An aftermarket keyless entry, withkeys, keyfobs, and door keypad is now available that does not tie into any coach wiring. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Keyless-RV-Door-Lock-p/31-8098.htm

Hi Ray and welcome!

Thanks for the link - that looks interesting and like a simple swap-out.  This is the first I've heard about a bug with the Winnie implementation of the TriMark system.

John Canfield said:
Hi Ray and welcome!

Thanks for the link - that looks interesting and like a simple swap-out.  This is the first I've heard about a bug with the Winnie implementation of the TriMark system.
You are welcome John. I've been a member here for about 11 years now. Somehow my login information quit working so I simply recreated/re-registered it with the same user name and password. Don't know how or why that worked. I sent a contact email requesting restoration of my old statistics and profile but haven't received a reply.
Had I known about that aftermarket keyless entry system, I wouldn't have bought the new TriMark system knowing this problem exists. You may read more about the replacement TriMark porch light issue on the irv2.com Winnebago forum. When I get time I'll install a diode in the feed wire between the porch light and TriMark control box. Hopefully it will solve the dim porch light from manual switch issue.
Between you and the guy who manages the irv2.com Winnebago forum, both sites have great information the other does not, with some overlapping. That's a good thing.

I sent a contact email requesting restoration of my old statistics and profile but haven't received a reply.

Check your emails; A reply was sent less than 30 minutes after I received your message.

Tom said:
Check your emails; A reply was sent less than 30 minutes after I received your message.
Got it Tom, it was in the junk folder, now in my safe inbox. Thanks for clearing me up, I had my memories all tangled up.

For those who've performed the Winnebago/TriMark mod for an older coach; does your porch light work normally with the switch by the steps?

Ray,

Have used mine several times since I installed it including 2 weeks in Florida in January and have had no problems with porch light. I usually left porch light on when out at night. It also comes on when unlocking with remote as it's supposed to. Have not had any dimness issues.

TerrySt said:
Ray,

Have used mine several times since I installed it including 2 weeks in Florida in January and have had no problems with porch light. I usually left porch light on when out at night. It also comes on when unlocking with remote as it's supposed to. Have not had any dimness issues.
Thanks for that Terry. I'm going to have Camping World re-examine how they wired mine. Several on irv2.com have mentioned this "backfeed or short". By chance do you have a wiring diagram for the replacement?

I had Camping World install a diode in the wire from the porch light to the remote control unit. Problem solved, now the porch light works as designed again.

I just replaced mine this weekend and will go back and see about the porch light, but i did notice the marker lights not coming on with the new system

FYI to anyone that notices their system has gone into continous lock or unlock mode, know where to kill power to the system and do it fast. Mine went into continous inlock mode and it burned out 8 solenoids in the unlock position.  Fortunatly it was frozen in unlock, because if it was lock i would have had to break into all 8 locked compartments because the key is also useless.

Back
Top Bottom