Keystone Laredo jerky slide - common issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE

In short: Success!

I had to find some PTFE lube and found some WD40 dry PTFE at an auto parts shop. Blaster makes a PTFE lube and ZEP makes one, too, though I couldn't find any place that actually sold the ZEP.

I got the slide out a bit, and using the straw sprayer, put the straw under the small seal and tried to spray in the direction of the wear bar. When I got the slide all the way out, I sprayed the lube on the bottom of the slide (darco?). Then, put the slide in and out a few times. Repeat with lube on the bottom again. Run slide in and out.

Result: Nice and smooth.

I ran my hands on the bottom of the slide and it doesn't seem oily at all, so I'm hoping it doesn't attract dirt. I'll keep an eye on it. But, so far, so good.

On other forums and on YouTube, some people have modded the slide and installed rollers underneath. I would be hesitant to do that for a few reasons:
- I don't want to get that involved....
- I would be concerned with a lot of weight concentrated on a small surface area of the roller
- Getting the rollers aligned well enough with each other
I'd need to do more research on that one. My small wardrobe slide has rollers, but that slide is very light.

Anyways, I'm good for now - mostly.

Next issue is I think I have a 12V power issue as the slide and the power winch will both stop unless I'm connected to the truck or shore power. I'm pretty sure it's the really crappy connections from the battery to two breakers (50A and 30A) on the frame. Awful design.
I'll start another thread on this, though, if needed.

Thanks for all your help,
Murph

Reactions: SMR
UPDATE

In short: Success!

I had to find some PTFE lube and found some WD40 dry PTFE at an auto parts shop. Blaster makes a PTFE lube and ZEP makes one, too, though I couldn't find any place that actually sold the ZEP.

I got the slide out a bit, and using the straw sprayer, put the straw under the small seal and tried to spray in the direction of the wear bar. When I got the slide all the way out, I sprayed the lube on the bottom of the slide (darco?). Then, put the slide in and out a few times. Repeat with lube on the bottom again. Run slide in and out.

Result: Nice and smooth.

I ran my hands on the bottom of the slide and it doesn't seem oily at all, so I'm hoping it doesn't attract dirt. I'll keep an eye on it. But, so far, so good.

On other forums and on YouTube, some people have modded the slide and installed rollers underneath. I would be hesitant to do that for a few reasons:
- I don't want to get that involved....
- I would be concerned with a lot of weight concentrated on a small surface area of the roller
- Getting the rollers aligned well enough with each other
I'd need to do more research on that one. My small wardrobe slide has rollers, but that slide is very light.

Anyways, I'm good for now - mostly.

Next issue is I think I have a 12V power issue as the slide and the power winch will both stop unless I'm connected to the truck or shore power. I'm pretty sure it's the really crappy connections from the battery to two breakers (50A and 30A) on the frame. Awful design.
I'll start another thread on this, though, if needed.

Thanks for all your help,
Murph
Thanks for letting everyone know.

Our 2014 Keystone Laredo 294RK TT has a large (13' ??) kitchen and living room slideout that has been jerky for a few years now and, of course, is getting worse. This uses the BAL Accu-Slide cable system. It is now at the point where the slide may even stop while going in or out. I give it about 5 secs and it will continue. It also helps if I assist it by going outside and pushing it while my wife holds the button.

Two years ago, there was an independent RV repair guy in our campground repairing our neighbor's MH. I asked him if he could look at our slide. Interestingly, he had previously worked at a dealer for Keystone and mentioned that the slideout slides on something that can wear out. Does this sound familiar to any Keystone owners?

Over the weekend, I worked on the cables for the first time after watching some YouTube videos. The cables are now in better shape and I fixed a potential future problem with the cable holders(?), but the slide is still jerky.

Anyways, I'm curious if any Keystone owners have experienced what the repair guy had mentioned - that something wears out under the slide.

Thanks,
Murph
Mine was a slide bar under it. It started wearing out and was real jerky. I wound up buying rollers and put rollers under there now it works perfect

Back
Top Bottom