King Mattress Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y-Guy

After our last trip wife and I agree that we need a new mattress in our RV.  It's a Winnebago 35J with a king mattress.  We've had the Costco memory foam topper on since 2007 and haven't had great sleep but after the last trip we need to do something.  I don't see just adding a new topper cutting it, I think I need a new better quality mattress.  So that leads me to my dilemma.  I haven't tried but I'm wondering if I'm going to run into issues getting it or a new one through the door? 

Any those that have done this have any advice?

We recently remodeled our MH and upgraded from a Queen to a King. The old Queen stood on it's side and bent around the door with ease.  We have a Tempur Pedic memory foam mattress at our stick and brick house so the DW wanted the same quality sleep in the MH. After researching for a while we went with a Sleep Innovations 10" memory foam bed. Amazon had it for around $450 with free shipping. The great thing about a new memory foam mattress is that they come folded and vacuum sealed small enough to easily fit through the doors of a MH. You just sit it on the bed, remove the packaging and it expands into place.  After about 10 nights sleeping on it I am very happy with the purchase. It sleeps as well as our $4000 Tempur Pedic. To insure that the matteress didn't get wet from a leak or spill we bought a matteress protector that fully incased it and was waterproof on all sides.

My other half has replaced/recovered/upgraded numerous foam mattresses for clients with boats. As a result, I've carried more mattresses, sofas and other furniture on and off boats than I care to remember. Many of those mattresses are larger in at least one dimension than mattresses in RVs, and cabin doors are often quite small. When the 'squeeze and bend around the corner' trick doesn't work, folding the mattress and securing with rope or tapes works quite well.

One tip - after tying the mattress up, use the ends of the rope to form loops to aid in carrying.

Second tip - heavy duty string will work, but rope is much easier on the hands when carrying/manhandling the mattress.

Thanks for the feedback was worried about the main door but sounds like it shouldn't be an issue.  Thanks again.

Get one of the Sleep number air mattresses. We've had one for over 20 years now and just love it. Besides it is a smaller, much easier managed size before you put it on the bed and inflate it. You'll be amazed how comfortable it is.

We have a SleepNumber at home, however due to some recent issues with the company I find my values no longer line up with them.  Since we're not full timers I have a hard time justifying that type of expense too.

[quote author=nvrver]Since you are removing it, you could always cut it into 2 or more pieces.[/quote]

And they should do that with the new/replacement mattress ?

I could cut the old one but I'd hate to destroy it since somebody out there could probably use that mattress even though I think it's junk. 

I'm leaning to some type of memory foam but a bit nervous about the heat that some retain.  I'm finding some that supposedly help to release the trapped heat better then the traditional Tempur-Pedic.

When we upgraded to a King in our m/h, we bought a superfirm matress and then put 2" of memory foam topper on it, and put two layers of egg crate type foam on top of that, then covered with a heavy matress pad.  It sleeps about like our pillow top king at home, now.

We replaced the "short' Kingsize bed in our 34 B fleetwood with 2 high quality single mattresses.  I tried getting a new non foam (i cannot sleep on Them) mattress in but was unable.  The two single work great.  we use the same short King sheet and bedding and have put a strap around the two mattress to keep them together.

We have a Tempur Pedic memory foam mattress at our s & b house, it was a California King Size. We cut it to the exact size bed we had in the coach with an electric bread knife. It is great as that was what we were use to sleeping on.

[quote author=where2next]We cut it to the exact size bed we had in the coach with an electric bread knife.[/quote]

That's the way it's done, unless one buys an expensive electric knife with a longer blade.

BTW it's also easy to glue sections of a foam mattress together (my other half has to do this with odd-shaped boat mattresses). There's a special spray "foam adhesive" made for the job.

Y-Guy said:
I could cut the old one but I'd hate to destroy it since somebody out there could probably use that mattress even though I think it's junk. 

I'm leaning to some type of memory foam but a bit nervous about the heat that some retain.  I'm finding some that supposedly help to release the trapped heat better then the traditional Tempur-Pedic.

I'd look for a mattress that uses open cell memory foam as that tends to sleep cooler than closed cell foams.  There is also a new gel memory foam technology you might look into as well that is designed to keep you 1 to 2 degrees cooler than traditional visco elastic memory foam.

Back
Top Bottom