Kiss my grits Microsoft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I taught myself Basic on an Atari 800 in 1980. For the last five years I have been using Chromebooks. I really love Chromebooks. I don't miss Windows at all. ;D I also don't miss virii, malware, defragging, backing up, updating, changing components or any of the other things I used to spend half my live doing. Now I just compute.

The Problem with Linux is two fold

ONE: I have yet to successfully intergrate a system using LINUX  I can get it to work "Stand alone" but I've not had luck with a home network save for Internet and printer access.

Second... I have learned how to operate dozens of Windows Programs.. SOME Of which I paid money for and well with Linux.. I have to learn all new stuff.. Now I don't mind learning,,, but Well.

That said.. I like the concept.. I do have a few LINUX distros lying about the RV but alas. I need to find a computer that will run em.. THese new Win-10 boxes are mighty picky what they will run.

Posted using a Chromebook (So as you see I dont't mind learning something new)

Larry N. said:
What? No Windows ME?  ::) ;D
Thankfully.  I had that dog for 3 months and it definitely would not hunt.  Nothing but blue screens so I finally returned it to Sears for a full refund never knowing that it was the worst system every put out by MS.  Glad I did not buy it at a computer store as I doubt I would have ever got a 100 percent refund or any refund after 3 months.

Bill

Dorian said:
Have you considered running Linux?  I've always built my own PC's and often at least dual-boot with Windows/Linux.  I have several YouTube videos on how to set up your own custom lightweight distribution if you're interested.  Should run great even on old hardware and boots up using only 160 MB of RAM!  And that's using the latest 16.04 LTS of Ubuntu.
I've been playing with Linux since the 0.9 kernel  :). Back then you had to compile the kernel for various hardware options since this was before modules that would load as needed. A compile would take about 8-12 hours on a 286 box  ::)

John From Detroit said:
The Problem with Linux is two fold

ONE: I have yet to successfully intergrate a system using LINUX  I can get it to work "Stand alone" but I've not had luck with a home network save for Internet and printer access.

Second... I have learned how to operate dozens of Windows Programs.. SOME Of which I paid money for and well with Linux.. I have to learn all new stuff.. Now I don't mind learning,,, but Well.

That said.. I like the concept.. I do have a few LINUX distros lying about the RV but alas. I need to find a computer that will run em.. THese new Win-10 boxes are mighty picky what they will run.

Posted using a Chromebook (So as you see I dont't mind learning something new)

If your network server is not always available, you can use a file manager like Nautilus (now called Gnome Files) or PCManFM to connect to a Windows or Linux SMB share.  Just make sure the samba package is installed in order to be able to access network shares.  If you have a permanent server, you can modify your /etc/fstab to automatically mount the share whenever you reboot.  I have a home file server as well and my Linux machines have access to it for file storage and automatic backups.

John Canfield said:
I've been playing with Linux since the 0.9 kernel  :). Back then you had to compile the kernel for various hardware options since this was before modules that would load as needed. A compile would take about 8-12 hours on a 286 box  ::)

If I remember correctly, my first kernel was 0.99 with Slackware 1.0 in or around 1993-ish when I first started getting into it.  It was great to run something new on my 286 and 386 since before than I mostly played with my 2 old Commodores; a CBM and a PET which I networked together with my own external cards that I made with an etching kit and required running 9 wires from one box to the other LOL  BASIC and Fortran were kings back then.  Now I know too many languages and ended up as master of none, but my focus the last several years has been with Python and some HTML4/5 with AJAX/JQuery/SQL/PHP all thrown in there.  But I'm finding I have less and less time to play with that stuff because I'm too busy with my day job (Network admin/security).

Back
Top Bottom