Kodiak Hybrid vs Passport by Keystone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sauce

Hello All,

I did a search and could not find the exact answer to this question.  We are new to Travel Trailers and have narrowed down our choices to either a Kodiak 16' Hybrid (By Skamper, About $16K) or a Passport 19ft (By Keystone $19k).

In your opinion is one "better" than the other as far as build quality?
Is there any negatives to having a "Hybrid" with the fold down beds?

I really liked the Kodiak.  It seemed to have good quality components in it.  However the Passport seemed to have a little more accessories with it.  Covered underbody, TV etc.

Your thoughts on either are greatly appreciated.  We have tent camped for many years.  This would be our first Travel Trailer.

Thank you.

Seems to me it comes down to one question - do you want the tent ends or do you want hard walls?  There are pros and cons to both, but that is the question I would answer first, then let that decision guide you.

Good Luck which ever way you go!
Greg

Follow up - this is assuming the Passport is not a hybrid.  I didn't think they made one, but its hard to keep up!

swimgreg said:
Seems to me it comes down to one question - do you want the tent ends or do you want hard walls?  There are pros and cons to both, but that is the question I would answer first, then let that decision guide you.

Good Luck which ever way you go!
Greg

Can you share the pro and cons to both?  That is the information that I am looking for.  Can't make a decision until I know that.

I will do my best!  Some of the things I consider a pro to the hybrid others may not, but that's why we have one!  We also full time in a park model RV, so our TT experience may be different than others.

Hybrid:
Pros
1.  Fold down "tent" ends - this is why we went with the hybrid.  We wanted the amenities of a TT, but love unzipping the ends and letting the wind blow through.  It just feels more like tent/pop up camping to us.
2.  Weight - for the most part they weigh less if that is a factor.
3.  All the box is living space - our box is 23 feet, which is all living space.  Since the beds fold out, we can go with a smaller trailer and get the same living space as a bigger TT.

Cons
1.  A little more work to set up / break down camp.  Its not much, but you do have some set up with the beds.
2.  Leaks - anytime you put holes in the walls, you have an increased opportunity for water issues.  However, I'm sure there are many on this forum (including us) who have never had a problem.
3.  Climate - you have to deal with cold / heat more since you have "tent" ends, but there are ways to do that.

TT
Pros
1.  Very little setup - everything is pretty much ready to go
2.  Solid walls - might be nice in different weather conditions.  (no drying out wet canvas if you get caught in rain) so on...
3.  Handle heat / cold better

Cons
1.  Weight could be an issue depending on tow vehicle.
2.  Bed space - to us it seemed a lot of the TT's were dedicated to beds, not living space.  we would have to pull a larger TT for the same space.
2.  cant think of another con!

Again, for us it came down to if we wanted "tent" ends or not.

Greg

Another con of the tent ends is that if you can't sleep in daylight, then you wake up with the sun.  I have solid walls and still wake up at the crack of down because of the roof vent over my head.  In the process of having a curtain made for that roof vent.  Plan to put snaps like on the side of a tent trailer screwed to the vent through the existing vent screws, and put 4 snaps on a piece of fabric to put up there at night.

Are these trailers considered durable with good build quality?  What can one expect to get off MSRP today?  Thank you.

I'd say they are in the middle of the pack, quality wise. Few trailers in this size, price and weight class are what you could call ruggedly built or high quality - the size and weight limitations as well as price dictate against that -  but they are good representatives of their class.

RV Roamer said:
I'd say they are in the middle of the pack, quality wise. Few trailers in this size, price and weight class are what you could call ruggedly built or high quality - the size and weight limitations as well as price dictate against that -  but they are good representatives of their class.

Hello Gary,

Could you recommend a more durable travel trailer (Manufacturers names).  I would like one with good build quality that will last.  We would like a 16'-20'.  Some of the "high End Trailers" are loaded with luxuries that we don't need.  We would like a solid trailer with good componets.  Weight would not be an issue as we are willing to upgrade to a vehicle that can toe more weight. 

Thank you.

Thank you.

I didn't say those were bad, and you aren't going to find robust frames and solid wood cabinetry in that size of trailer. It would be too expensive and too heavy for 99% of the potential buyers. The ones you picked will last many years of weekend and vacation use, with reasonable care and maintenance.

That said, my top choice in that range would be an Arctic Fox: http://www.northwoodmfg.com/arcticfox/

Sunnybrook is good too, but I don't think they have much in the size you want. Keystone, K-Z and Forest River have a broad range of models but the smaller ones are going to lighter ones and that means light duty materials.

[edit]fixed typo[/edit]

Thanks for the input and the reccommendations.  Those are nice trailers.  I may try to see if there is one locally to look at.
Thanks again.

Hello Gary,

Your right, no Artic Fox's in CT.  Give you give me3 you thoughts on this...

We are considering to upgrade our truck so that we can toe more.  We looked at a new Kodiak 18' Hybrid that has a lot room in it but a very small shower.  For the same price (17,000) we can buy a used 2007 Forest River Rockwood 26' ultra lite or the 19' Passport by Keystone.

Which one would you buy?  It looks like the Rockwood has more upgrades to it.  Still a light weight but no warranty.  Now that we are considering a bigger truck for towing, what additional reccomendations would you make if any.

Thank you.

You get a lot more for your money in a used RV and with so many people trading up all the time, good used rigs are fairly common. I've had new and used and prefer used (bought out present coach as a lightly used 2.5 year old).

Personally I would go for the larger one, but I like my space.

I think the one thing you haven't covered here is, how will you be using your new TT?  Is it the "weekender" mode where you go a weekend, maybe two a month, with an occassional week or two bigger trip?  Or will you be going a few times a year?  Or are you a die-hard camper and go every weekend and extended trips whenever possible?  These may also dictate some of your decisions.  For me, my Skamper has been everything I needed it to be at this point in my RVing experience.  I am a weekender and have done a couple of extended (week and a half to two week) "outings".  I have a 26' with a small slide for the sofa.  It is not fancy, and I've had to make a few repairs to things (drawers slides, a cabinet hinge or two, replace the kitchen faucet), but if you are even marginally "handy", these are not only easy repairs, they are usually better (you tend to put in higher quality stuff on the repair than was there), and you know what you have.

I would say the Kodiak is a fine TT for weekender use and even more moderately heavy use, but it is not a full-timing type of TT.  I would also highly recommend a slide, even a small one for a sofa, or dining table (they differ on what actually slides out).  A slide will dramatically increase the room you have in the TT.  And as far as the tow vehicle, be sure and wait unitl you have picked out your trailer first.  That way you can come back here and ask for any help you need with making sure you get the right truck to pull your new trailer with.

edjunior said:
I think the one thing you haven't covered here is, how will you be using your new TT?  Is it the "weekender" mode where you go a weekend, maybe two a month, with an occassional week or two bigger trip?  Or will you be going a few times a year?  Or are you a die-hard camper and go every weekend and extended trips whenever possible?  These may also dictate some of your decisions.  For me, my Skamper has been everything I needed it to be at this point in my RVing experience.  I am a weekender and have done a couple of extended (week and a half to two week) "outings".  I have a 26' with a small slide for the sofa.  It is not fancy, and I've had to make a few repairs to things (drawers slides, a cabinet hinge or two, replace the kitchen faucet), but if you are even marginally "handy", these are not only easy repairs, they are usually better (you tend to put in higher quality stuff on the repair than was there), and you know what you have.

I would say the Kodiak is a fine TT for weekender use and even more moderately heavy use, but it is not a full-timing type of TT.  I would also highly recommend a slide, even a small one for a sofa, or dining table (they differ on what actually slides out).   A slide will dramatically increase the room you have in the TT.  And as far as the tow vehicle, be sure and wait unitl you have picked out your trailer first.  That way you can come back here and ask for any help you need with making sure you get the right truck to pull your new trailer with.

Good info here as well, thank you...

Well it will be for weekend and a couple of weeklong trips in the year.  I would like to go on 10 to 15 camping trips in a year with this trailer.

We have a family of 3 so the Kodiak 18? is very roomy with the 2 queen beds, table and couch.

As far as the truck goes it would be a Tundra (used 2007-2008) which I believe can tow up to 10,000lbs.

Here are my choices/options.

If we get the Kodiak we can keep the Xterra that we have now to tow it.  The GVWR on the Kodiak is $5000 and that is the max that the Xterra can tow.

If we pick up a used trailer that weighs more for less money or more options we will buy the Tundra to tow that vehicle.  I seems that the lightweight trailers are very popular and rare to find used. 

For the same money as the Kodaik 18? I can get into this 2007 26? Rockwood. 

http://leestrailerranch.rvusa.com/inventory_item.asp?id=571200

I?ll be honest, it?s way more than what I need.

The Xterra cannot really tow a 5000 lb trailer, at least not unless you leave the wife and kid home. That 5000 rating is for an Xterra that is empty except for 154 lb driver and fuel. It doesn't even include the  weight of the hitch!  Realistically you can't tow more than about 4500 lbs with an Xterra and that's pushing it hard.  The Kodiak 18 is about 4500 lbs loaded, so it is stretching the limits. You really need a stronger vehicle.

Not all Tundra's can tow 10,000 lbs - only certain configurations. Any of them ought to be able to handle the Kodiak, though.

Sounds to me as though the Kodiak is a good fit for you and your planned usage.

RV Roamer said:
The Xterra cannot really tow a 5000 lb trailer, at least not unless you leave the wife and kid home. That 5000 rating is for an Xterra that is empty except for 154 lb driver and fuel. It doesn't even include the  weight of the hitch!  Realistically you can't tow more than about 4500 lbs with an Xterra and that's pushing it hard.  The Kodiak 18 is about 4500 lbs loaded, so it is stretching the limits. You really need a stronger vehicle.

Not all Tundra's can tow 10,000 lbs - only certain configurations. Any of them ought to be able to handle the Kodiak, though.

Sounds to me as though the Kodiak is a good fit for you and your planned usage.

That's good to know.  I knew it was close but I didn't know that it was actually less than 5000 lbs.  I will keep that in mind.  We will definatally be bringing bikes, etc so we will probably need to get a new truck.  That really opens up our options to what we can buy for a camper too.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

RV Roamer said:
Realistically you can't tow more than about 4500 lbs with an Xterra and that's pushing it hard.  

With a Gen1 like I have, I totally agree, that's the boat I am in and I am not having fun towing. 

With a Gen2, there's is considerably more HP and torque, plus 5 speed automatic instead of 4.  So a Gen2 would be better, but not necessarily adequate.

Back
Top Bottom