Kumho Road Venture Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cal74

Don't know if I'm crazy about the AT tire, but looking to change the tires on a new to me Jayco 253D (27 feet) 5th wheel. I'll be pulling a boat behind it on occasion (yes I'm legal where I'll be pulling).

Don't want to go cheap, but need to watch my pennies at the same time as I've got too many other things going on right now.

Anyways, any thoughts on these tires?

LT 215/75 - 15 - D rated.

I'd save about a 100.00 vs the Goodyear HT's, or should I just go with the Maxxis ST 205/75-15's?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+AT51&partnum=175R5AT51&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I don't know how the trailer tires are, but we've been using Kumhos on our '02 Nissan Maxima for years. Trouble free and have given us good mileage life.

I used Goodyear HT's because it is a highway tread and they are made in USA.  The Kumho's are made in Vietnam, but I did use them in a 14" size for my utility trailer.

Kumho is a respected brand, even though not so well known in the US. The key thing is to get a tire size and load rating sufficient for the trailer axle weights and keep them inflated properly. You didn't state the trailer weight or max axle loads, so there is no way to judge whether those LT 215/75R15's are adequate. Be aware that Lt tires are generally rated for lesser loads than an ST (trailer service) tire of the same size, so check the actual tire load capacity in lbs (it's in the spec and also stamped on the sidewall).

I looked for a manual based on the model number of the trailer and most recent one I could find was for 2003 model. So, this is based on that.
According to that manual you can use tires with C load rating (253D ST205/75R15 C 1820 lbs). So, it would seem the D rated Kumhos you linked to would be sufficient as they are rated to 2095 lbs.
YMMV.

It is an '03 and yes it currently has C rated 205/75-15's on it (5 1/2" rim) and the 215's are rated at a minimum of a 5 1/2" rim.

Just questioning if the AT tire is going to look completely out of place on a travel trailer?

Are these true LT tires? Did not know there were any LT club see to the 205

AT type tires on a road trailer isn't the best idea for several reasons.
The biggest is large lugs and large voids can lead to what is called tread roll. Makes the trailer handle like all four tires are half flat. And braking issues especially on wet roads. Much depends on how aggressive the AT tread is  as there not all created the same.

Trailer tires are a free rolling tire with treads such as a highway tire (HT) or a less aggressive all season type tread  or  especially the XPS Rib tire from Michelin all being a better choice for a trailer tire position.

I'm not a fan of Goodyear at all very poorly constructed tires short life span of rubber and tread wear .

Campingnut16 said:
I'm not a fan of Goodyear at all very poorly constructed tires short life span of rubber and tread wear .

I have well over 20,000 miles on my Goodyear HT's.  They are 5 years old, show no wear and look like new.  I have to laugh at all the never-ending ST nonsense, when there is an option to opt out.

Tire brand prejudices are common, sort of a Ford-Chevy cultural thing. Seldom based on any facts or credible data.

There are many reasons why people often have trouble with trailer tires, starting with overload and under-inflation and continuing with the ignorance about the 65 mph speed rating for ST tires.  Years of car experience leads to a belief that tires are round black things that can largely be ignored, but that is a near-fatal attitude when it comes to a typical RV tire, which is often operating at its max limits in high-stress conditions.

lynnmor said:
I have well over 20,000 miles on my Goodyear HT's.  They are 5 years old, show no wear and look like new.  I have to laugh at all the never-ending ST nonsense, when there is an option to opt out.
in our fleet we recently got around 100 new vans for the workers they're running Goodyear tires a good majority of them have required replacement at 6,000 miles . Another kind of van in the fleet also runs a Goodyear tire and the sidewall is so thin were constantly going out to replace them they're thin as paper. Also run wranglers on about 800 vehicles in our fleet and we routinely replace tires with 20k or less that are shot beyond belief . You couldn't force me to buy Goodyear but we have a national contract and have to order certain pre approved tires . I have sold , repaired and replaced several thousand tires and have learned a lot about the difference in quality from one tire to the next . I'm a big believer in Michelin , Firestone , hankook and a few others but Goodyear and sumitomo and some others I personally haven't had good luck with. However you all are correct opinions very greatly on tires and usually not for any credible reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom