Kwikee steps...I'm at a loss!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charger1204

Okay, I noticed the other day that the steps didn't look like they were fully extended, I pulled them out...all good. A week or so later after having been on a short trip, they wouldn't retract or extend normally. First thing I think is the motor or gears. I take the motor/gear assembly off and then hook it back to the pigtail to see what was going on and the gear turns, I reach down to hold the gear to see if something internally is not catching and it grabs and appears to be normal. I hook the motor assembly back up to the steps and open the door...I hear the motor turning but it's not actually turning, and therefore, not extending or retracting the steps...I am at a loss as to what the problem can be. Any suggestions from someone who knows anything will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks All

Brad

Start by lubricating the step pivots. The motor controller is designed to stop movement if resistance in encountered (like a person or an object), so dirty or rusty pivot joints or a bent extension arm will stop it in its tracks.

Thanks all, I'm going to try the lubrication first and foremost.

And.....Still nothing. It's loose as can be but still can't get anything except the whirring noise of the motor.

With the step extended (as far as it will go) roll under it and check the arm from the motor to the step pivot,,these are made of "pot" metal and will break, also there are clips that hold the pivot pins in place.. If the motor runs but won't move the linkage then the transmission is probably toast.>>>Dan

Yeap. If the motor runs but no movement of the arm at all, something is broken in gear box or linkage.But you bench-tested the motor and gear box, right?  So the pivot arm???

On this setup the sprocket from the motor goes directly into the gear that extends the steps, it doesn't connect with an arm or another pivot. It's a 2011 model winn vista. I'm going to try to get the meter out and go through the checklist again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Gary.. I took the motor out and operated the door and the sprocket turned and I reached down to hold it to see id it would stop, but it continued to turn. How much pressure does it take for it to stop with the stop feature? I wouldn't think it would be that much.

UPDATE!!!!, I ordered an ACI window motor #A83094 to see if it would replace the motor assembly on my revolution series kwikee steps and it fit like a glove. I had to change out the connector because this was set up for an early 90's model ford/mercury window. At first I thought the gear and shaft wasn't going to line up but it did and all works well. I picked up this motor for $35.00 online. That sure beats the price that the rv suppliers wanted.

That is one ting I like about Kwikee. they used common Window Motors. not custom jobs. so instead of paying 10 as much for an "RV" Part you can but a common automotive part

NOT all take that motor. THey used a couple different ones

And I think they buy seconds as well but that is a suspiscion.

Back
Top Bottom