Ladder buying question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magothy1

Good evening, I’ve been off and on here for a bit, I have a 2012 Cameo 37’. I haven’t been able to travel with it yet but hope to soon remedy that.

The factory ladder seems kinda wimpy to me, and I need something to be able to get up to where I can see the roof and spray it clean. I’ve looked at a few of those folding ladders that can do all sorts of tricks. The ones I see that I like are the Gorilla ladders and ones made by Werner. Anyone have either, and have opinions on either ? I’ve seen a number of rigs with long step ladders tied to the factory ladders, too.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Steve in SC

Kind of wimpy.... Pulled mine off the rv with one hand I did.

I've used telescoping ladders and "Convertable" Step/extension" my only suggestion is this
With the RV unloaded measure the height roof to ground
Get ladder at least 4' LONGER (you want it to extend at least 3 feet above the roof line when set up).
Know to properly "Set" a lader.. if you do not know read on.

Make sure ladder is on good even footing
Now put the toe of your shoes against the feet of the ladder
Reach out and grab a rung.. Are your arms straight or bent (Straight is good) Bent ladder is too steep and may fall backwards on you) are you leaning in or out (leaning is bad) Natural grip or just your fingertips (natural grip good)

Your body is your gauge.

My brother sprung for a Little Giant ladder and he is very impressed with it. It is pretty nice. Light and compact but sturdy when up.

I have an Xtend N Climb 785P, overall a great extending ladder though it is heavier / sturdier than some of the cheaper models.

Our factory ladder has held my 185 lbs for years with no problems. I carry a 7' aluminum step ladder as well that stows in a bin. That one is useful for window washing, etc., as well as letting me access the factory ladder even when the portable waste tank is stowed on it.

Even a relatively sturdy RV-mounted ladder isn't very convenient to climb, and many aren't well-mounted either. I suggest one of the portable ladders, either the telescoping type or the collapsible step ladder type. Some examples are linked below. Most are available in various lengths, so make sure know how much height you need. I carried an 8 ft GP Logistics step ladder for my coach and used it in conjunction with the rear mounted ladder if I needed to get on the roof while away from home.

The built on ladder on our RV is very sturdy, and I trust it, but the bottom rung is 4 feet about ground, and it is a bit narrow.
I picked up a Telescoping ladder that stores nicely in my cargo bin, and extends to 14 feet. I usually prop it alongside my RV ladder, and it works very well.
With the telescoping ladders, you need to make sure that it locks each rung in place as it extends. the first one I got required being fulling extended before it would lock. That worked for a while, but at one point one of the latching pins broke, and the ladder collapsed with me near the top.
I was out of work for a month.

Thanks very much. I’m 215 lbs, and my factory ladder doesn’t like that. I’ve climbed a few ladders and I know how good ones and not so good ones feel. I’m looking at the Gorilla and Werner combination ladders. So far, Werner has the advantage.

I am about your same weight, and since falling and breaking my back in 2010 (split compression fracture of L2) and spending 4 months in a turtle shell brace, I am particularly paranoid about things like ladders. Having said that my Xtend & Climb 785P feels as solid as I could imagine any extendable ladder feeling, and only slightly more sag prone (bowing) than a conventional extension ladder.

I have a Werner combination ladder I am very happy with. I believe it is considered to be a 21 ft model. I do not take it on the road with us but I use it at home to do all the things needed around home and the TT. I can set it in the "A-Frame" type of set up in its maximum height next to the TT and get on/off the roof (although this might not be OSHA compliment because I am not extended 4 feet above the roof line and it is not touching the TT, it feels very sturdy and secure. I works well for washing/cleaning/waxing the front cap with it straddling the tongue of the TT too. Both ends have a wide base that helps make it very stable. I recommend the Werner brand

My trailer does not have a ladder. I recently purchased a telescoping ladder and so far am pleased with it.
It's rated for 330#,so is more than enough for my fat a$$!
I do worry that I may get careless and not get my fingers out of the way when I collapse the ladder. Hope that never happens.
I bought a similar one. I'm still getting used to making the transition from the roof back onto the ladder.

I use a 10' Werner A Frame stepladder. I haven't had any issues with the RV ladder, but I just don't trust it. I purchased a 12' extendable brush for washing the roof and find I can get to everything on the ladder. I use a spray protectant after I wash it for UV protection. Works well as far as I can tell.

I bought a Werner 22’ multi ladder after looking and looking. I used it yesterday and I like it. It’s rated to 375 lb. It has more material in it than the Gorilla ladder, which looks good, too. I like this one because it separates into two trestles to set up a small scaffold rig.

Good evening, I’ve been off and on here for a bit, I have a 2012 Cameo 37’. I haven’t been able to travel with it yet but hope to soon remedy that.

The factory ladder seems kinda wimpy to me, and I need something to be able to get up to where I can see the roof and spray it clean. I’ve looked at a few of those folding ladders that can do all sorts of tricks. The ones I see that I like are the Gorilla ladders and ones made by Werner. Anyone have either, and have opinions on either ? I’ve seen a number of rigs with long step ladders tied to the factory ladders, too.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Steve in SC

I picked up a 12.5 foot Soctone telescoping ladder (330lb max weight) on amazon recently (for $120) and I've been happy with it - only fallen off 3 times! you need a really flat surface and my yard is not flat.

I like how small its compressed formfactor is. not that heavy.

Back
Top Bottom