Lag bolts loose and falling out of frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert MacDonald

5th wheel trailer with broken frame 8in from the pin box. My question is the lag bolts that hold the side walls to the frame have all come out can I use carriage bolts and drill right thought the wall? I know it will show on the out side but with a strip of aluminum or some nice looking flat steel might look ok. Any thoughts!!

5th wheel trailer with broken frame 8in from the pin box. My question is the lag bolts that hold the side walls to the frame have all come out can I use carriage bolts and drill right thought the wall? I know it will show on the out side but with a strip of aluminum or some nice looking flat steel might look ok. Any thoughts!!
The sidewalls aren’t attached to the frame, the floor joists are and the sidewalls sit on the floor joists. Ordinarily the sidewalls are supported by outriggers spaced at regular intervals and the lags hold the bottom plate to the outrigger. If the lag bolts have torn out you’d just have to make sure the fastener has a large fender washer on top of the bottom plate to pull it back down onto the outrigger. A photo would tell us a lot more.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice proople here with lots of experience. Feel free to ask any questions. They’re no dumb questions. If you don’t know the answer it’s not dumb to ask.

The sidewalls aren’t attached to the frame, the floor joists are and the sidewalls sit on the floor joists. Ordinarily the sidewalls are supported by outriggers spaced at regular intervals and the lags hold the bottom plate to the outrigger. If the lag bolts have torn out you’d just have to make sure the fastener has a large fender washer on top of the bottom plate to pull it back down onto the outrigger. A photo would tell us a lot more.
That's not what I was referring to. The lag bolts hold the sidewall to the upper frame where the 5th wheels have the bedroom (upper deck) and where the pin box is, they are screwed though the inside of the frame into the sidewall .The holes in the frame are fine its the wood in the wall that the lag bolts have pulled out of.

That's not what I was referring to. The lag bolts hold the sidewall to the upper frame where the 5th wheels have the bedroom (upper deck) and where the pin box is, they are screwed though the inside of the frame into the sidewall .The holes in the frame are fine its the wood in the wall that the lag bolts have pulled out of.
Regardless, you'll either have to lag the bottom plate from a different location or gain access to the inside of the wall and insert a bolt with washer from the bottom up through the original hole and secure it with another washer and nut to the bottom plate. A carriage bolt would work.

Not exactly what you are asking about, but...
Some 20 years ago I used carriage bolts through the trailer wall to mount brackets for my folding boat. I was able to arrange it so the inner side was either in a cabinet or otherwise not prominently visible. Had to be careful tightening them because the thin walls were easily compressed. Worked fine and lasted years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom