Lakeside Site - Fish or Good Manners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TravlinOn

Recently, we were fortunate enough to luck into a perfect (for us) trailer site next to a beautiful lake.  We backed our 5th into the site and 1st thing each morning we opened the window shades over our wide rear window for the beautiful view.

What we saw was a couple of fishermen casually casting their lines and standing maybe 15 feet directly back of our window.  Not knowing the usual customs for such cases, I did nothing but fume over it.

Is it routine for fellow campers to fish wherever, even behind an onsite RVer, or is it customarily good manners for them to go elsewhere?

Depends on the campground.. Some Campgrounds the site extends all the way to the water.. Others the "Beach" area is "Common ground"  I've parked in both.

South Cove (Oconee County parks, Seneca SC) if you have a waterfront site it's yours to the water.. But be careful walking around your RV. cause ... Well.. as I said it's yours to the water. (And odds are your RV may well be very close to the water's edge)  This is not common .

If it is a public lake, the fishermen were doing nothing wrong. If it was private, then it could go either way (as John noted). In our experience, most lakeside campsites give you the view, not exclusive access.

Of course, you could always brew a pot of coffee, go out with a couple cups and make some new friends.

OK, I can understand your points.  Our campsite was in a County campground with a lake and although there were a lot of campsites on the lake, not many sites actually had an open area to cast into the lake.  I like to fish and therefore know that our lakeside access, no beaches, would be very tempting for other fishermen.

Still, I did pay for the lakeside site, they did not, and my DW wants to know if with our open window she can charge entertainment fees? (I'm kidding, but she has a deadly look in her eyes)

Next time you have fisherman on your property get your boom box out and stick into the rear window. Then crank some Korn for a while and see how long they last. If Korn doesn't work try some Yoko Ono.

SeilerBird said:
Next time you have fisherman on your property get your boom box out and stick into the rear window. Then crank some Korn for a while and see how long they last. If Korn doesn't work try some Yoko Ono.

Because being as abrasive as possible is surely the best route. Seriously?

What UTTransplant said. Since it's a county park, the water and shoreline are almost surely public access. The fact that the shore happened to be 15 ft from your window is not really relevant, at least in the legal view.

Additionally, I'm having a difficult time seeing what there is the "fume" about. Were they being loud or obnoxious in some way? My wife & I would have counted the presence of fishermen as part of the lake view. As long as they stick to the shoreline and stay away from your immediate campsite area, I think "no harm, no foul" applies.

Good advice. Tick off the neighbors as well as the fishermen and then get thrown out of the park for excessive noise. That way you won't have to worry about the view any more.  ???

I think this is one of those times where you just have to chill.

DH and I once spent big $$ to stay in a luxury condo right on the lake, with floor-to-ceiling views of the lake and a walk-out patio-sized balcony. Every time we went out to relax with a glass of wine, there were families fishing RIGHT IN FRONT OF US.

While that was not what we had in mind, we decided to chill out and enjoy watching them have fun. It was fine. I figure it's part of the experience. And when the youngest one actually caught a fish, well, that was definitely worth the show!

15 feet away from your RV window is a reasonable distance. I like the idea of brewing some coffee and going out to make new friends. After all, that is also part of the RV experience!

Your lucky there wasn't a BOAT on the lake.
Then you would really be hacked off.
It's a lake, people fish, people boat. Whats the problem?

I would get out my rod and tackle and ask if they minded company. I have met quite a few friends that way.
Otherwise I have this grand kid that could ask questions for hours on end.

Cheers

Lessee, which would I rather have, a couple fishermen peacefully casting, or a            with a boombox trying to chase them away?

You guys want a cup of coffee?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom