Last Weekend Out This Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DF5.4

We are getting ready to go out for the weekend. After Brian gets home from school him and I are going to Hickory Hill in Bath NY http://www.hickoryhillcampresort.com/. Hannah has swim team practice today after school and tomorrow morning. Renee will bring Hannah tomorrow after practice. The CG is about 2 hours away and it's Halloween weekend there. The kids want to see their friends one last time this year. We get to see ours and the leaves should be beautiful down there. After this we'll get everything out of the TT and get it ready for winter.

Friends of ours go there every year (they were just there last weekend - their last trip, too). We have not made it there yet but maybe next year. We hear it's a great place!

We took our last trip last weekend - had to stay close to home due to the kids sports schedules...I mean close - 6 miles away! Had a great time, though!

Enjoy the weekend!

We took ours last weekend in conjunction with the Ellicottville Fall Festival, and stayed just up the road at Allegany
Mountain Resort. Camper all cleaned out and up and winterized. That's it for this year :-[ :-[

We just had the last camping trip of the season as well last weekend. Dipped down to 25deg at night, 60 during the day. Beautiful skies.

When kids' schedules didn't conflict we used to love late fall weekends, empty campgrounds, beautiful scenery, and great cool nights to sit around campfires.

I am hoping the weather will cooperate the second weekend in November.  It will be the first weekend we have free since school started and I really want to go.  The kids marching band season is killing me.  Luckily southeastern NC has some mild weather then.

This is our first season camping in our TT and I am sad to say we just had our last camping trip of the year.  We have always camped in a tent but decided this year to purchase our first TT and truly have enjoyed camping in 2010.

If there is such a thing as being addicted to camping and creating family memories we are.

Looking forward to the 2011 camping season

This was our first year with the TT and I loved it.  We spent more time in it in the front yard than at campgrounds but my younger daughter loved every minute of it.  We will try to get a few more trips in if the weather cooperates.

Hi I live in the UK and go away every weekend with my son winter & summer even if it`s only 10 miles or so to a pub with a campsite.

In the US which I have never travelled to is it normal to have a camping season ? over here it`s great to wake up to snow and frost and be nice and cosy inside our RV on quiet small campsites or overlooking a stunning beach.
I would say that most owners only use there motorhomes in the summer and at the farm where mine is kept there are 4 others and 2 of those have not been used since May this year.
I even go to mine every couple of days to sit and have a coffee and wish I could drive off leaving my house and job behind.

Wyn

Wyn, we have seasons here, but they vary significantly across the US, both east to west and north to south. Here in our part of California we RV, boat and fish year round. As you traverse eastwards, you pretty much need to be in the southern half of the US during the winter. Many folks are like migrating birds, i.e. those in the northeastern US and eastern Canada will go south to, say, Florida for the winter, then migrate north for the summer. We call these people "snowbirds".

Similarly, many folks spend winters in Arizona, then migrate to other parts of the US for summer to escape the heat.

For calibration, I'm as far from New York as you are  ;)

Just a follow up ...

We were en route back to California from Florida a few years ago, and decided to detour to Northern Kentucky to visit a couple of our kids. This was late February, and one of the kids was expecting a March baby. We were all hoping for a Saint David's Day baby.

We followed three snow plows into their development where, fortunately, the city had cleared the streets. Our son had shovelled the driveway in preparation for our arrival.

Their power source was limited, allowing us only a small electric heater on its low setting, and the basement heater ran full time to prevent freezing of the water system. Even that was continually blowing fuses in their basement garage. After a week, we were almost out of propane and, with another storm coming in, we said "We're outta here; Bring the baby to California".

We had the furnace running while we drove to warmer climates. All the time I was concerned we might have caused some plumbing problems with freezing pipes.

Attachments

• coach_KY.jpg
    coach_KY.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 16
  • icicle.jpg
    icicle.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 14
By comparison, one of the kids lives in the Sierra foothills, just 3 hours from us. They get the tail end of storms in the Sierra Nevadas. This is the result of a typical storm.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 20
  • snow_5W.jpg
    snow_5W.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 12
  • snow_deck.jpg
    snow_deck.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 13
  • snow_trees.jpg
    snow_trees.jpg