Late to the party -- but excited :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McGene

Hello to all,
Retired in a rural portion of central FL -- near with the Manatees like to come in the winter.
Trying my best to get my wife onboard with the idea of spending more time visiting the many beautiful parks in FL. Don't plan (at this point) any really long trips -- perhaps will ease into that as we become more comfortable with RV outings.
Have narrowed my search to a Class C type RV (preferably lightly used). There will be 3 of us (adult daughter is with us due to serious chronic pain issues and I want her to be as comfortable as possible).
  1. Question: What brands have good solid reputation for quality (I'm not asking for any "brand bashing" here -- I don't think that's a nice approach) -- let's take the "high road". :)
The two brands I've found so far that appeal to me include Winnebago (Minni Winnie) and Thor Freedom Elite 22.
I need to stay under $45K if possible. Your experience and recommendations will be welcomed and appreciated.
-gene

The brand is immaterial. With used RVs the most important thing is condition. Floor plan, price and condition are what you need to be shopping for. Look at as many RVs as possible and find one with a floor plan you love at a price you love, then pay an RV inspector to inspect the rig.

Thank you. I'm on the hunt. Any advice on what to ask sellers that are some distance away? For example, I found one I'd like to see, but it's at least a 2 hour drive. Perhaps asking a few of the right questions via email will make the drive worthwhile.

You never really know until you see it with your own eyes, as to brand some are built a little better than others, some with slightly better materials, though again here I feel condition is everything. Where better initial build quality may help is increasing the chances that a given coach which has received reasonably good care will be in good condition.

Let me use roof material / construction as an example here. Nearly all Class C's use a membrane roof of some type in order to keep weight down (a critical thing on class C's given their GVWR limits, which is typically either 12,500 or 14,500 pounds on coaches built in the last 15-20 years (older ones will be less). The most common membrane roof materials are EPDM (rubber) and TPO, though there are several others that have been introduced in the last 5-10 years. Generally speaking EPDM is the lowest tier, requires the most maintenance (cleaning with special chemicals, etc.) and has the shortest life span, next up is TPO, followed by the rest of the new and improved membrane products. The catch is a well maintained EPDM roof on a coach which was stored under cover most of its live may well outlast a TPO roof that has never been maintained, been left out in the elements, and driven under low hanging branches, where it was torn, and therefore allowing water penetration and subsequent wood rot.

Generally wood rot from water penetration is the most common killer of RV's it is often far more extensive than it first appears and far more expensive to repair than one might guess. Water penetration may come from torn membrane roofs, poor sealant around windows, roof vents, TV antennas, end cap screws, etc. In class C's a traditional common water penetration point is in the over head bunk area particularly around the windows as the rubber seals on the windows age they tend tolet water in.

As to getting your wife on board, my best suggestion is to rent a class C for a long weekend, and plan out a trip to minimize chances of things going wrong.

Hi and welcome.

You may wish to consider paying an independent inspector to check it over, particularly if you are going to spend a lot.

@Gary RV_Wizard quoted this good advice on another post which may help...

There is an organization of professional RV inspectors called the NRVIA. Their website will help you locate an inspector in your area. NRVIA – National Recreational Vehicle Inspectors Association You could also Google 'mobile rv repair' for the region to find a mobile RV mechanic and hire him to do whatever inspecting you want done.

Last edited:
You've received some excellent advice so far, so I won't duplicate it.

Winnebagos are usually perceived to be relatively well designed and built compared to the Thor products, but Thor includes the Jayco and now the Tiffin brands so they cover a really broad spectrum. Forest River + Coachmen is another major supplier of Class C coach brands. Since you are shopping used (that is smart, but takes more looking and perseverance), so condition plus finding the right floor plan layout are your key concerns.

By the way, we are also rural central Florida, out in the Ocala National Forest 14 miles east of Silver Springs. :cool:

One advantage I see to Winnebago is their superior documentation library on older coaches for things such as wiring diagrams and parts list for the RV side of things. Of course having the part number for that door hinge or cover panel does only limited good if the part is no longer available.

Thank you. I'm on the hunt. Any advice on what to ask sellers that are some distance away? For example, I found one I'd like to see, but it's at least a 2 hour drive. Perhaps asking a few of the right questions via email will make the drive worthwhile.
2 hrs isn’t a distance away when making a large purchase such as a house on a truck.
My 5th wheel was 8 hrs away and I drove up to look at it.

I agree, I would have to drive at least 2 hours more likely 3 to get to the nearest RV dealer that actually sells motorhomes, all of the more local ones only sell trailers, or perhaps have 1 or 2 trade in motorhomes on the lot.

Winnebagos are usually perceived to be relatively well designed and built compared to the Thor products, but Thor includes the Jayco and now the Tiffin brands so they cover a really broad spectrum. Forest River + Coachmen is another major supplier of Class C coach brands. Since you are shopping used (that is smart, but takes more looking and perseverance), so condition plus finding the right floor plan layout are your key concerns.

By the way, we are also rural central Florida, out in the Ocala National Forest 14 miles east of Silver Springs. :cool:
Hi Gary,
Thanks for your comments. We're near Crystal River -- so, not too far your location. Do you mind if I keep in touch with you via personal email? I would really value your comments on any coaches I find. The few folks that I know who camp, all pull their rigs. I need (I think) one I can drive -- largely for the comfort of my wife and daughter (I can elaborate in a personal email if needed). Thanks, Gene

Thanks to all who have taken a moment to share a comment. As you know, the market seems hot at the moment -- but, I certainly don't want this to become an impulse purchase. I've downloaded a pretty thorough check list to use when I actually get up close and personal with a coach. I'm also trying to line up some financial support. I can handle a sizeable down payment -- but, I'm finding I'll need to stretch my budget some to get what "I think" we want.
  • Actually, this purchase may be down the road a bit since I've decided trying a rental or two should be my first step.

Great advice Gary.

We lived out in the Forest (314A) years ago while helping out my aging parents until the heat and humidity affected my health so we moved to the Pacific Northwest in Washington.

Update June 26, 2021
I just came across a 2003 Volkswagen Vista 21-feet. It's seems like the perfect size for a beginner. And since it's just my wife and me (most of the time) it may be a good way to get started.
Anyway, I haven't found much info on the VW reliability -- and since this model was only around for a few years -- it may be difficult to find any needed parts down the road.
Would love to hear any suggestions/thoughts on pursuing this unit. It seems in marvelous condition and very well cared for currently. I'm really more concerned about future ownership -- even if it's in perfect condition now. Thanks, Gene

Not a bad place to start IMO. I am guessing you are both agile enough to climb into an overhead bed?

A 21 foot rig is easy to drive and park. You may not need a TOAD (Towed vehicle) to get around in.

There's a lot of personal choice here but as a couple I would be looking a little bigger with capacity to tow a really small get around vehicle. I am living in a 31 footer with my son right now. We just got done with 5 days straight rain.

We still love each other but it was getting a little claustrophobic - LOL...

Update June 26, 2021
Anyway, I haven't found much info on the VW reliability -- and since this model was only around for a few years -- it may be difficult to find any needed parts down the road.
Any small town auto parts store will have the drivetrain parts for a Chevy/Ford Class C/van chassis for the next 20+ years. Imported vehicles that old may be a nightmare right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom