Latest Godward Fiasco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Godward said:
I have a suspicion that there will be a pacemaker in the future as the rate is not consistent and I have dead spaces and also fast ones as far as the beat goes.

Jim

It is probably atrial fibrillation, I've had it for nearly 10 years now. It was kept pretty much under control with medication for a long time but started getting out of control last summer and the medication was screwing up my thyroid. I eventually had a procedure called heart ablation where a robotic wire goes from the groin up a vein into the heart. There it identifies the heart sensors that cause the irregular heart beat and disables them. My recovery took a little longer than expected but is currently at the point where the irregularities are much fewer and less irregular. If the irregularities don't go completely away I might need a second ablation, but I really don't want a pacemaker.

Many of the newer heart rate monitors available now will identify irregular heart beat and you can monitor the existence and/or severity of the fibrillation.

Ask your cardiologist whether the ablation is a possible solution and go for it if it is. Our best to you and say hi to Pat.

Bernie,

Thanks for the additional information.  Since I never had an issue before that I knew of, I am doing lots of research and you opened another path.

Glad to hear you are doing well since the operation.  I see the Cardiologist on the 3rd and should know a lot more after that.

Our best to both of you in return.

Jim Godward said:
I see the Cardiologist on the 3rd and should know a lot more after that.

Jim,

You might ask your cardiologist about 3-4 week monitoring with a CardioNet MCOT. I have been on one for two weeks with one week to go. The device monitor and records every heart beat for the entire period. If you have any abnormal heart beats, the sending unit automatically sends the information to CardioNet in real time. If the arrhythmias are serious, CardioNet contacts your cardiologist, otherwise, a complete analysis is sent by CardioNet to your doctor at the end of the test period. If you have any specific questions, email me.

R

R,

I see my family Dr on Thursday and will ask about this.  After that, I will get back to you if I have further questions or she doesn't answer any that I come up with.  That looks like what I need.  :)

TIA

Jim, since we're all comparing "scars", I'll tell you my story.

I've had atrial fibrillation and arrhythmia for almost 10 years.  It has become constant for the past three years.  I've already had two ablation procedures that were only partially or temporarily effective.  The only remaining procedure would be to stop the heart and try to restart it with a shock to establish a normal rhythm.  Since my heart has already been stopped three times, (twice for bypass operations and once in ICU recovery) my cardiologists are a little hesitant to go that route.

The only treatment that I've been receiving the past few years is metoprolol to slow the heart beat down to make each beat pump as much blood as possible, and warfarin to keep the blood thin to prevent stroke.  Unfortunately, old age and congestive heart failure is slowing the heart down too much. 

I had an episode very similar to yours, two weeks ago.  low pressure (77 over 42) heart rate 40, nausea and sweating.  If I'd had any pain, I would have suspected a heart attack.  As it was, I just thought I was dieing.  I felt too far gone to even call 911.

I'm scheduled for a consultation next week on the need for a pacemaker.

Glad you made it LOU...you were getting close to that point of no return. After Plavix blew two holes in my stomach and I bled out, they hauled me away with 60/20. put 3 bags in on the way and another in the ER. I realized that isn't such a bad way to go out...kinda like going to sleep.

Jim...did you get to watch the stent procedure on the monitor?? I've seem most of mine except when they went thru my neck..I couldn't turn my head enough to see it. On my 4th I had a "blow-out", I heard the tech utter a "oh $hit" from around the corner and the doc saw the look on my face so he came over and told me not to worry , the leak will stop. Sure enough we watched as it slowed down and quit leaking. 

They record the procedure on CD and if you request it they will copy and give it to you for a small fee. Mine was $10.00, I keep them with in a cabinet with all my med records, without them I could not have convinced the docs to give me the transplant. The cardiologists had already turned me down at two hospitals until Tampa saw the records I had brought with me.

Lou mentioned comparing "scars" . My wife gets nervous when I tell someone I had a lung transplant because I usually ask them "do you wanna see my scar"? Surprised how many want to see me lift my shirt. Its always embarrassing for her and she knows its coming. There's nothing to see since they used super glue on the skin and the stitches were on the inside....remarkable job..I can barely see the cut line...ya wanna see??

Jim Godward said:
After that, I will get back to you if I have further questions or she doesn't answer any that I come up with.  That looks like what I need.  <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

Jim,

If you want to read a little about the CardioNet MCOT, go to CardioNet.com.

R

Jim:  Haven't been on the shadetree for a while, so missed this at the time it happened.  Sorry to hear this and glad it's being taken care of.  It's good for you to listen to Pat while you heal.  Margi and I do really think alike..... :)

Well Jim did it again.  Last Monday I flunked Cardio Rehabilitation by having a pressure between my shoulder blades and a very high blood pressure and pulse while on the treadmill.  I am now waiting for a Stress/Echo test this coming Thursday so everything is on hold pending the results.

We are still getting things ready to leave as the MH service must be done anyway but...  Still hoping for a trip east before the end of April.

Don't thinks so Gary.  It was the 3rd time I felt pressure but the first time they got measurements.  The test Thursday will be the real test, lots of instrumentation as well as the sonograms.

I'm glad to see you are up and about and keeping in touch. This getting older sure ain't for sissies.

Jim

Hope all goes well..you are a good man, and you know what they say.."You can't keep a good man down"

Jim & Kathy

Thinking of you, Jim.  In case you didn't get it the first time through ....  listen to Pat and do what she says!  We're all getting older, creakier, stiffer and fraught with various dangers.  :eek:  But we keep keepin' on.  ;)  So, keep on, good buddy!  ;D

Jim you take care and hope the trip east becomes reality.  Greetings to Pat.

I'll check in also..... everyone's thoughts express mine. You're in our prayers and thoughts. Get the "rig" ready to roll Jim....
Wagons East..... Ho!
I can hear the music from one of them "epic" John Wayne movies. I can see Big John pulling back on the horse's reins, twisting in the saddle, turning to Jim's rig, and motioning East..... (ha ha). 

What's that Nancy....?
It's the wife, I got to get back into the cage for awhile.

You are in our prayers Jim.

Jim,

We hope the test goes well and that you get all the help you need to get you going on that trip!
In our prayers.

-Trevor & Roni

Back
Top Bottom