Leaf spring/shock problem??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmie123

Just purchased a 1994 Itasca Sundancer, Ford E-350 chassis. I noticed that when in the driveway, there is a noticeable "lean" from (when facing the RV) left-to-right (drivers side to passenger side). I've checked underneath, nothing is noticeably broken (leaf springs, shocks). I've got to be missing something. I'm certainly no vehicle suspension expert, so before I take it to the mechanic, what should I be looking for?? I need to get it repaired, but I'd like to be able to at least have an idea of what's going on before I take it in. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Lot's of possibilities, I suppose but the obvious first question is if you have air bags.  I had a motor home of similar vintage that did this and one bag was blown.  And the system allowed the other to stay inflated.

COMer said:
Lot's of possibilities, I suppose but the obvious first question is if you have air bags.  I had a motor home of similar vintage that did this and one bag was blown.  And the system allowed the other to stay inflated.

Thanks for the reply. We're relatively new to the class "C" world, although we had a 32' Hy-Line that was permanently set-up at an RV campground. I'm really not sure about the bags....where are they located? Front wheels? Rear dual wheels? I hate to say this, but I don't even know what they'd look like, lol. I'll go out right now and take a gander under it.

John Canfield said:
Welcome Jimmy!

Thank you John, Jimmy or Jim works, lol. I've read some of your posts, especially the technical information section you did with the links etc. That had to be time consuming as heck assembling that, but it's a real boon to those of us with "issues" and no idea where to obtain the technical info. that we need. Great stuff!!

I just got out from beneath the RV. I didn't see any "bags". I think that it'd be safe to assume that I'm dealing with 17 year old shocks, so replacing those is probably necessary. I saw nothing broken etc. on the rear leaf springs, however a better trained eye may see something that I missed, same thing with the front springs - nothing visible as far as something broken. It looks like it's time to take it to someone with more experience than I have. I'll let you all know what I find out....

Shocks shouldn't have any effect on how the RV sits--all of the vehicle support should come from the springs and/or air bags.  I'm guessing supplementary air bags would be found inside the coil springs.

You posted in an earlier thread that you had a rear tire blowout.  Was the blown tire on the same side as your "low" side?  If so, you may need to look a bit closer for air bags and/or other possible damage.

Edit:  Also, verify you have the same size tires on both sides.

cbeierl said:
Shocks shouldn't have any effect on how the RV sits--all of the vehicle support should come from the springs and/or air bags.  I'm guessing supplementary air bags would be found inside the coil springs.

Hi Chris, I just went out and looked again. There's nothing within the front coil springs, just the spring itself with a shock adjacent to it. There's a truck tire place fairly close by, and they come highly recommended. I'm thinking I may run it down and let them have a look at it. I can at least find out what it is and have them give me an estimate. The blow-out that I had has me a little jittery and I want them to look at the tires anyway. Since I just got this RV, I'm wondering if the previous owner had recaps installed on the rear....it's supposed to be illegal to install recaps on the front steer tires, but who knows what was done??

On a class 'C', chances are there would only be air bags on the rear axle.  Did you look there or only the front?

And have you checked the dates on the tires?  There is a date code and tires that have been sitting like yours could have, often "time out" before they look worn out.  Seven years is a good life for tires like these.

Molaker said:
You posted in an earlier thread that you had a rear tire blowout.  Was the blown tire on the same side as your "low" side?  If so, you may need to look a bit closer for air bags and/or other possible damage.

Edit:  Also, verify you have the same size tires on both sides.

Hi Tom....You read my mind, lol. The blowout was indeed on the "low" side. As far as sizes, all are LT 245/75 R16/  Load rating is "E". Brand (if that matters) is "Advanta". I don't see any air bags either in the front coil springs, or anything attached to the rear leaf springs. I have no idea if the original equipment did in fact include the bags, and a previous owner removed them, or what (that, to me, would be unlikely). I did download the Itasca information on this particular model, it has a listing of all of the original equipment including part numbers...I'm going to see if there's anything in it regarding the suspension and air bags.

Actually, being an E350 I'd be surprised if it came with air bags - maybe an add-on, but not from mfg.  I'd say your idea of taking it to the truck shop would be a wise step.

Molaker said:
Actually, being an E350 I'd be surprised if it came with air bags - maybe an add-on, but not from mfg.  I'd say your idea of taking it to the truck shop would be a wise step.

This get's better. I just went out and looked at everything again. On the rear hitch assembly, I saw something sticking out with a rubber cap on it. Removed the rubber cap, and this looks like an air valve....however, there are no "schraeder" valve assemblies in it (wouldn't an air bag require a schraeder valve? I really don't know). Connected to the rear of this assembly is a fairly large rubber line. It runs (on the driver's side) all the way up to the bell housing/transmission, goes "up" and disappears. I was unable to trace it any further. I have no idea what this is...an air bag or bag(s)?? Plus, without the schraeder valve, how would any air stay where it needed to go?

Boy!  You've got me on that one.  I doubt if it is air bags.  They usually have a schrader valve for each side - usually near the wheelwell.  If it was a class 'A' I would suspect air for toad brakes, but not on a lighter side class 'C'.

Molaker said:
Boy!  You've got me on that one.  I doubt if it is air bags.  They usually have a schrader valve for each side - usually near the wheelwell.  If it was a class 'A' I would suspect air for toad brakes, but not on a lighter side class 'C'.

Tom, leave it to me to have something "unique" lol. The valve itself, with the rubber cap removed, appears larger than what a normal air pump would handle due to the circumference of the valve. Of course, my flashlight needs batteries...I'm gonna find a couple and see if I can trace this sucker down. I'll try to see "inside" the valve as well and see if the schraeder assembly is just missing or what. As large as the rubber line is, it's got to be connected to something. I thought that maybe it "tees" off to air bags, but I don't see the air bags either, lol. That RV manual I downloaded had nothing in it regarding suspension etc. It has every part listed, right down to the curtain rod holders that were originally installed in this particular motorhome, and the orginal Itasca part numbers, but nothing regarding the chassis.

Could it be a compressed air outlet from a compressor?  That would be useful for airing up the tires, if someone had built one in.

Ned said:
Could it be a compressed air outlet from a compressor?  That would be useful for airing up the tires, if someone had built one in.

Hi Ned....Honestly, I don't know. In looking at the valve itself, it has ridges on it simalar to a brass gas valve, no threads. The large rubber line connected to it runs all the way up to the bell housing/transmission and goes "up". I tried to trace it, but I'd have to pull the doghouse to really see where it goes. If it is a compressor line, there are no on/off switches for it that I've seen anywhere. The installation is very neat, almost appears to be "factory". I'm wondering if I called Winnebago/Itasca if they could tell me anything? I may try that. Now all I need is their phone number, lol.

OK, I called Itasca. Spoke with a real nice guy. He said that they don't install any type of line in the hitch, and he felt that it was an owner-installed braking line....the "controller" for said line isn't in the cab area, so I guess it was taken out by someone. As far as the leaning, he said that spacers will more than likely solve things if the "lean" isn't over 1 1/2"...anything greater than that he said that a new leaf might have to be added. I have to admit that it was nice contacting a company, and getting ahold of an individual who seemed to genuinely care about a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hassoalbert
Back
Top Bottom