Leaking Valve Stems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheltie

I bought six new Michelins (DOT 2012) last year and for some reason I keep losing a considerable amount of air (25-50 psi per week when sitting) from my inside rear dually tires.  I suspect that it may be because the valve extenders (rubber) they installed were made for Goodyear tires, however they were all that was available at the time. I've made arrangements to have them inspected and replaced if necessary but was wondering if there could be anything else.  I think it's pretty unlikely that both inside tires could've developed a leak simultaneously from a nail, etc., but stranger things have happened.  Any thoughts?

Have you checked the  valve core to be sure it is screwed tight?
I have never heard of a valve stem made for one specific brand of tire.  who fed you that line of baloney??
Take a spray bottle filled with soapy water and after airing the tires up spray all around.  When you spot bubbles forming, you have found the problem.

Valve stems and extenders are common items, independent of the tire make.  However, I would recommend replacing the rubber extensions with steel ones.  It's very possible that it's the rubber extensions that are leaking.

If you have Equal for balancing and the installer didn't use the included special cores, then they could be a leak source.

donn said:
Have you checked the  valve core to be sure it is screwed tight?
I have never heard of a valve stem made for one specific brand of tire.  who fed you that line of baloney??
Take a spray bottle filled with soapy water and after airing the tires up spray all around.  When you spot bubbles forming, you have found the problem.

I'm not able to get to the valve core.  The package that came with the rubber extenders specified they were for Goodyear tires.

Someone beat me to it, Valve extenders are not made for tires, they are made for valve stems and those are all the same size thread and such so they are universal.

They do, however, have a tendency to leak epically if not properly tightened.

Also, sometimes they do not check the nut that holds the valve stem to the rim, those leak too.

And sometimes, with tubeless tires, they do not properly prep the rim and the bead leaks.

All are possible culprits.

Have you had this problem since the new tires were installed, or before?  If just since the new tires were installed, I'd take it back to the installer and have them fix it.

92GA said:
Have you had this problem since the new tires were installed, or before?  If just since the new tires were installed, I'd take it back to the installer and have them fix it.

Just since I bought them.  Since they are 1,000 miles from me I'll just have it repaired here at home.

Yes sir, I understand that. Don't know about yours but I couldn't get to the stems on my 19.5s without removing the outer duels when I installed my extentions. You might be able to remove the extentions and see if they  still leak.

sheltie said:
Just since I bought them.  Since they are 1,000 miles from me I'll just have it repaired here at home.
Use a spray bottle with soapy water to see where they are leaking.
If necessary, go to the nearest tire dealer that services large vehicles, busses, trucks, etc and have them remove the POS rubber extensions and install stainless steel ones. If they don't have what is necessary they should be able to get them overnight or go to NAPA.  Amazon.com has a variety of steel extensions if you can determine what you need  (Amazon?) Yep.

Typical complaint.  Both RV and CMV wise.  Use one piece extended valve stems for inside duals.  Sealed directly to the wheels at the base in rubber and no junction in which to leak midway using extensions.  If properly installed, results in years of problem free service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom