Leaving the dog while working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a problem barker (when no one is there). I had it under control last year by just closing all the blinds so he couldn't see anything outside. The last trip I found out that he was barking when I walked to the lake to go fishing (we left the next day so I couldn't do anything at that point) so this next trip I will be testing and training him again with a training collar that I have, the warning and shock reaches 1/2 mile away. That is a good idea about leaving the cell phone number with a neighbor, because i can zap him from just about anywhere i would be, i never go too far from the 5th wheel.

Hi Gingercat,

We travel with 2 well behaved dogs.  If one of them is barking, something is going on.  However, we also have a monitoring system on our coach to validate. 
We installed a Canary monitoring system that connects to our wi-fi hotspot.  Originally, it was to monitor the temperature on-board when we were away (just in case power went out or the A/C broke).  But, a by-product is life audio & video capability to my cell phone.  The whole set-up cost less than $200. 
It sends alerts to our phone if motion, sound or light changes occur or if temperature, humidity or air quality (smoke) move outside our set range.  When I get an alert I can play the audio & video live on my phone.  That way I know if they're barking because someone is opening our storage doors, someone is knocking on the door or something else is going on.
After a little testing, you'll know for sure how your dog behaves in your absence.  Then all you need is a plan if the dog does start barking while you're away!

I know it's not productive for the conversation, but I can?t stop myself from saying:
If someone approached me, or for that matter I saw them approach someone else, and was ?not nice about it?, nor willing to extend ?any measure of courtesy? at that point THEY are the problem.  All they would find is a Metallica fan, who would take a measure of enjoyment watching them make a fool of themselves.  That is until someone else complained about them.
I get the sentiment that led to the frustration, but that no reason not to be civil.  If we can all take a moment, give people the benefit of the doubt until they exceed the benefit, and perhaps assume THEY don?t want their dog barking either, we?ll all be better off.

I leave a note on the MH with my cell number and instructions to call me with any problem.  Still waiting for the call!

Back
Top Bottom