Leaving Tow Dolly connected

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA_Boy

Does anyone using a tow dolly behind a "C" leave it connected and BACK into a spot after you unload the TOAD or to you unhitch it from your RV?
The reason I'm asking is I don't have the strength to drag one around at my age (76).  No problem with pull a thru but I can't always get one.
Marvin

No personal experience here but I'm thinking backing a tow dolly would be pretty difficult - I'm guessing it would jackknife pretty easily especially with the long overhang of a motor home. Not an ideal solution but maybe find a camping neighbor to help unhook for you. I know I'd be willing to do it for someone who could not.

shop around on the internet they make trailer dolly to move utility trailers, hope this helps. I even seen a guy use a hand dolly to move his car dolly, but you have to be able to lift the car dolly hitch off the receiver of your Class C and down on the hand dolly. Whatever, you do be careful and don't hurt yourself

GA_Boy said:
Does anyone using a tow dolly behind a "C" leave it connected and BACK into a spot after you unload the TOAD or to you unhitch it from your RV?
The reason I'm asking is I don't have the strength to drag one around at my age (76).  No problem with pull a thru but I can't always get one.
Marvin
You can buy and install one of these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Wheel-Swivel-Trailer-Jack-1500-Lbs-Capacity-Swing-Back-Boat-RV-Utility-/182205400661 I did it on my old dolly that I sold including it !

Backing a short trailer with a long truck is really, really difficult. I won't say it can't be done, but it ain't fun.

Get the tongue dolly wheel that was suggested, so you don't have to lift the tongue. The dolly rolls around pretty easily unless the terrain is rugged.

A 72-YO dolly owner...
Gary

If you put a hitch on your toad, you can get the toad off the dolly, move the RV then hitch the dolly to the toad to move as needed.  The toad will handle backing up the dolly much better than the RV, although still a bit of a challenge!

Have never backed a tow dolly with my motor home (Which is an A) but see not inherent problem.. One CG I stay at has a policy  If you tow with a dolly or trailer, you have to drop the trailer (Or dolly) in the trailer storage area and pay an additional fee UNLESS.. You leave it attached to your RV

There are ways to make it easier to back up if it's not loaded...

Truckers who pull double bottoms often have a set of side chains,, You lock them down and now the two trailers back like a single trailer.  You could easily tight chain (use chain binders) the Dolly to the frame rails on the "C" and it would back as a single car.. Sure the tires will side slip. but with no load the damage is not going to be serious.

Saw an older guy a few years ago that had a remote control winch with a cable attached to the back of his RV up towards the top. He attached the cable to a cable attached across the dolly (like an upside down Y)and lifted it up off the ground about eight inches and then backed into his site.  Thought it was a unique idea at the time.

If you are good at backing trailers, and can judge angles enough to swing your rig so the dolly is aimed into your site with a shallow angle between it an your rig, it can be done. Aways keep a shallow angle, perform a short pull up long before a full jack-knife. Keep the dolly at an angle that the motor home can chase it. I do it all the time but I have decades experience towing trailers. It's a skill that can be learned.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom