LED Deco-Mania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I've been playing around with Led strip lights for decorative effects. Perhaps I've gone a bit overboard, but we have had decorative lighting in all our coaches, both permanent and stuff we can change with the season or holiday. Led strips seem well suited for this sort of thing, providing lots of options, fairly simple installation and low energy cost and heat.

I got a Revolution brand RGB (Red/Green/Blue) led strip to try out. It is 16.4 ft long (5m) with 300 leds and has a controller that can alter the shade of the three primary colors and provide a variety of automatic change patterns.  In this type of strip, each led device actually has three tiny light sources (one each, red, green & blue) that can be on individually or in any combination, which allows the controller to blend colors to change the tint and fade or blink independently to provide a variety of effects.  We like "smooth", which provides a continuous fade from one color to another.

I cut the strip into two pieces and placed one section across the top-forward edge of the dash and the second several inches lower across the forward looking part of the dash, near the bottom of the windshield. The two sections are connected with a short wire splice device, which I bought separately. The flat led strips are actually long flexible circuits boards, so they don't bend sharply, nor do the make right or left turns at all. The splice connector enabled me to create two parallel strips without a curving loop of lighting to make the 180 degree turn.  The strip comes with an adhesive backing (a 3M brand sticky tape) which makes for an easy install except that it would not stick at all to the grain-textured vinyl covering of the back side of the dash. I had to mount two thin strips of wood molding, painted to match the dash material, to provide a surface it would stick too.

The RGB strip is powered by a 120vac/12vdc converter which is plugged to a timer-controlled outlet strip I had previously mounted at floor level under the dash. This timer strip runs whatever deco lighting we have in the windshield area, timed to be "on" from dusk to around 11 pm. A nice feature of the led strip controller is that it remembers its setiing, so when the timer switches it back up, it simply restats the colors and patterns previously set.

For the next part of the project I got two warm-white, 300 led strips, also 16+ feet long each with a sticky back. These were mounted to the bottom edge of the moldings that run along the ceiling at either side of the lounge area, above the slides. These provide a fair soft general lighting from above that is pleasant for entertaining or tv. I powered these direct from one of the interior 12v circuits (the power for the satellite dome) that was handy to the area and placed a standard toggle switch in an overhead cabinet where it would be convenient but unobtrusive. For the moment both strips are on a single switch but I can easily add a second switch if we decide we want individual control.

The photos below don't do justice to the effect but will give an idea of the results. The windshield lights show two color examples but the actuallity is a continuous slow change from red to blue to green that passes through every shade in between. Kind of mesmerizing to watch!

Attachments

• Front leds - ivory.jpg
    Front leds - ivory.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Front leds - red.jpg
    Front leds - red.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Interior leds.jpg
    Interior leds.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 126
The LED rope lights sure are popular these days.  ;D

I've seen rigs in campgrounds all dolled up with them. I'd say at least half of the folks run a length of LED lights on their awning, maybe more.

Rick

Gary,

Looks like you have too much time on your hands!! I'll have to come back down and have you doll up my coach, just to keep you out of trouble! ;D ;D ;D

Steve

How many strings of beer can lights did you have back in the eighties? :D

Gary, are you going into a new business? Like maybe competing with Mustang Ranch?  ;D ;D ;D

Pretty soon, campground rules will be changed to "Quiet and dark hours 10:00 pm-6:00 am."  ;)

The dancing girl travels with me!  She is also my interior decorator and seasonal decor director. If you stand still very long around our house or coach, Nancy will decorate you!

As for chassis lights, we just throw a rope light on the ground along side when we park for more than a few days. Rarely drive at night, so little point in mounting anything underneath (but I've seen them on some MH).

Can you tell me where you got this?  "a short wire splice device, which I bought separately"

Gary,

I'm interested in where you purchased the "short wire splice device," also. Can you provide a description of the device? Are they hard to use?

I plan to install some LED strips in four pantry compartments which have no lighting. Sounds like these devices would come in handy for that project.

R

I bought mine through Amazon, but they are usually available wherever the strip leds are sold. The RGB strips have four conductors, so I used the 4-wire variety, with snap-on splice blocks on either end. Each is about 6" long. They also make patch cords with one snap and one free wire end, Y-cables, and other wiring gadgets. Two wire (for single color strips) or 4 wire.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VZKSNC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a search that shows a bunch of configurations.

I wondered what that glow in the sky was to the northeast of us, now I know.  Next you could put hydraulics on the suspension and go to some of those low-rider car shows.

Back
Top Bottom