Led Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glen54737

I have a Keystone Alpine and have been having LED fixtures fail.
It's been about 18 months + whatever time it was on the dealer lot it was the last 2015.
So far I've had 6 of the recessed fixtures fail, you can get just the LED you have to replace the whole fixture.
Im wondering what may be causing this are they just cheap china junk or is the voltage from the converter wrong?
Any one else have these Issues?
I'll post the voltage when I get a chance to check it. 

No purchased sept 2015 not under warranty. Even so it's not worth the trouble to get them to fix it I just ordered 6 more fixtures for $50 on ebay.

The better made LEDs have power regulation built into them, while some cheaper ones have no regulation at all - other than what the RV has. It would be hard to say what's causing your failures without measuring the voltage under different conditions, but my first guess would be that the failed LEDs were of lesser quality.

Kev

The "better quality" LED lights will have an operating range of 12vdc to 24vdc. Some even work on both AC or DC. This is allowed due to the voltage regulators they have onboard as previously mentioned.

Have read about this elsewhere.. Seems they got some bad LED's out there.

Have seen it on two RV's with the grab handle LED

On mine.. I found the circuit was kind of like this

Hot wire----150 ohm resister------LED----Ground
LED's lasted about a month if I was lucky

Now it's

Hot wire----450 ohms---LED---Ground

And that  LED is at least 10 years old.. Still works.

THIS, alas, is not that easy a fix on yoru panel but that may be the problem. in order to get MORE LIGHT, they have two chioces,, Spend more on the LED, or overdrive a cheaper one.. Guess which they choose.

Side note.. Last night on one of my late night "Runs" I figured out a problem I had with the dash audio system.. AUX  IN was not working (or so I thouht)  Turns out I'd plugged the cable into the wrong jack on teh source device.. Fixed and tested that.. While I was there I decided to test my new LED fog lights. 18 watt, Supposed to be CREE LED's (Likely imitation) 18 dollars for the pair (Vs o ver 50 bucks a pop for the OEM that last  Well I think I used it once before it burned out.

Them puppies are brighter than the headlights.

(My Belt flashlight is one of those 1200 Lumen jobs, that's about equal to a 100 watt light bulb,, MEASURED at 3 watts.. CREE Led)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom