LED mystery needs solving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drflem1246

converted to LED bulbs ... all LED bulbs work when tested in the fixture over the dining table ... the two fixtures over the bed however only work with the original 1141 bulbs ... the new LED's do not light in those two fixtures only thought I know the LED's work everywhere else ...  ... so voltage is present ... could this be a current draw problem ... or ... any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated ... thank you in advance for any assistance ... and do be careful out there ... some drivers do funny and unexpected things ... dr flem ...

Hi Ho:  As you know LED's are just diodes, so they are polarity sensitive.  (They work only in one direction)  So, just reverse the wires to the LED and that should do it.  I'm assuming that the appropriate dropping resistor (or other constant current source) is available for 12 volts.

As Dirko says, the 12v+ wire has to be connected to the right pin on the Led. They are also very voltage sensitive, but that doesn't sound like the issue here.

Those fixtures in the bedroom may be wired the reverse of the ones in the dining area. Incandescent bulbs don't care about polarity - they light either way, but the Leds will not. If that's it, you can take the fixture down and reverse the wires.

A common issue with 1141 is that they get replaced with 1156 which are brighter, and hotter,,

As a result the center contact and it's insulator are ... Damaged

They may fail to make contact with the LED base..OR.. may even short out and blow the fuse.

I have at least a dozen repair kits here.

I had the same problem and I actually don't remember what the cause was. It was either reversed polarity that took a little thought to address or the spring on the center contact was not making good contact with the LEDs, which were of a subtly different dimension. I had both problems swapping to LEDs - one with lights over the couch and the other over the bed. I can't remember which was which!

Forgot about Reverse polarity.. YES that can be an issue with RVs as well.. My LED's are the kind that take care of that themselves.  (or else the sockets are wired properly on the ones I do not know about)  I have tested some, not all, of the LED's and the ECO-LED's (ones I tested) worked both ways.

In my experience few 1141-replacement led bulbs have circuity to handle reverse polarity. Neither cost nor space in the tiny bulb housing are conducive to such niceties.  I have some of the polarity-independent type you described, but they are all larger form factors and the more expensive brands as well. Besides, the BA15S base in an 1141 bulb is designed to have 12v+ on the center pin and the ground (negative) on the case.

Ah polarity ... light emitting diode ... should have thought that through ... reversed polarity from factory ... problem solved by reversing wires ... all is well and I want to thank everyone for their assistance with this ... travel safe and well ... dr. flem ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom