LED tail light module

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard R

We were away for the Thanksgiving weekend, a trip of about 350 miles each way.  I checked all of the lights after hooking up the trailer and headed out.  I think all of them worked to my destination, however on the return trip, two days later, my right rear light was inoperative.  There was no tail light, no turn signal.  The trailer is going on  two years old, a 2018 KZ Connect.  Anyway, I popped the lens and to my surprise, there wasn't any bulb, just a LED module.  Lots of luck finding one of those, I suppose.  I got home without any problem with getting stopped by the Highway Patrol or causing any problems.  I'm making an appointment with my dealer for warranty inspection and I hope they will replace it at no charge, but I'm not sure what one will cost as an extra, or whether I should ever need another one.

Not sure you will get a free replacement. I don't think lights would be more than a 3-6 month warranty unless you have extended coverage but maybe the dealer would fudge it for you to get a free one. It certainly would be fair to do so.

Before bringing it to the dealer I would do a couple of things.

Be absolutely sure it is the LED. Be sure it is not something associated with the tow vehicle or wiring harness and plugs.

I would also call the warranty service provider and ask them what the billing would be if the LED assembly is in fact bad and a replacement is needed. If it is in fact the LED you could save an hours labor or cost of the replacement LED or both by buying one online and installing it yourself.

My other thought was the possibility of a blown fuse. I don't know exactly how the trailer would be fused for the tail light but I would tend to think that there would be some trailer internal protection for the circuit. Maybe another member could offer more accurate info on that.

The cost of the LED module won't be as economical as a regular bulb replacement. I suspect it will be in the $30-40 range maybe more at a dealer.

I would have to see the light. My RV came with the round lights that seat in a rubber ring.. One of them stopped working. Well I popped it out (it is a sealed assembly no matter if LED or Incandescent) and hooked plug  back up and it works fine.

Two things that will  Kill a lighty both Tail and stop/turn.

Bad ground
Plug disconnected.

Not sure about your model of KZ, however mine has a two year full coverage warranty. Taillights are covered, although it could be a loose wire connection. Which is also covered. A good dealer will test the tow vehicle connection before he tests the trailer wiring. Before I took mine in for repairs I asked them to confirm they have replacement parts on hand, and to go find them. Computer inventory systems in repairs facilities are notorious for being incorrect. I have a 3.5hr commute each way to my dealer. I prefer to make the trip once for a repair.

good luck, hope its something simple they can take care on-site while you wait.

I agree, connect your setup, turn on flashers and give the trailer / TV connection a solid wiggle this way, then that way.  My connection is finicky at times.

KZ has a two year warranty and mine expires in February, so I'm planning to get my warranty inspection.  My dealer, however, gives a lifetime warranty if work is done by them, so I'm hoping they will take care of it.  I was surprised by the fact that it wasn't a simple, old fashioned light bulb that is easy to replace.  I was also surprised that it was an LED module that did all of the taillight duties and that it only lasted the two years.

Back
Top Bottom