Leveler Fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

2007 29R Winnebago Sightseer/2006 F-550 V-10 chassis/Kwikee Level Best 3000 leveling system

The Operator's Manual says the leveler fluid must be no less than a specific level.  However, so far I have been unable to find the reservoir to check the level.  Can anyone tell me where this is hidden?

Thanks,
John

My 2005 29R has it behind the driver side front wheel. Not easy to get to, you about need a turkey baster to add fluid.

Mine is an HWH system and is located behind the drivers side door and difficult to reach. The recommendation of a "turkey Baster"  to add fluid is a great suggestion. You must also keep in mind that the jacks or slides must not be extended when checking fluid levels. On my reservoir the cap has a mark indicating where the fluid level should be. The fluid used in mine is Dextron  (II or III and a reddish color) which is transmission fluid. You should check your manual as some systems use hydraulic fluid which is different then the Dextron stuff (regarding the hydraulic fluid,HWH sells it and I assume the Kwickee people and some auto parts suppliers do too).

Make that DEXRON rather than Dextron.

HWH says this in their Operator Manuals:

FLUID: HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended. In an emergency Dexron automatic transmission fluid can be used.
NOTE: Dexron automatic transmission fluid contains red dye that can stain if a leak occurs. DO NOT USE brake or hydraulic jack fluid. Use of these can damage the seals.

I talked with the HWH technicians in both Moscow Iowa and Elkhart Indiana. Both have said that some systems use the dexron and some use the hydraulic fluid. When a solenoid valve on my coach was leaking and had to be replaced, the color of the fluid was ....red. I had another solenoid valve replaced at the HWH facility in Elkhart Indiana and the technician  (Mr. Stuart) said it was dexron and topped off the system with dexron.  I did see in the manual that HWH recommends the HWH hydraulic fluid, but if that's the case why do the systems come with the "red" stuff and the HWH techs recommend the dexron? Seems like an anomaly to me

The "red stuff" is Dexron!! What they sell as HWH hydraulic Fluid is likely Dexron with their own label although, if they buy it in bulk they might be able to obtain it without the red dye in it. Never seen the HWH fluid so I can't say if it is red or not

Gary RV Roamer said:
HWH says this in their Operator Manuals:

FLUID: HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended. In an emergency Dexron automatic transmission fluid can be used.
NOTE: Dexron automatic transmission fluid contains red dye that can stain if a leak occurs. DO NOT USE brake or hydraulic jack fluid. Use of these can damage the seals.
My older unit (2000) has HWH kick-down jacks 310 series.  The manual says
Fluids-Use Universal multipurpose or Dexron automatic transmission fluid. Do not use brake fluid or hydraulic jack fluid.
Somewhere along the line they have modified the fluid requirement or are just trying to sell "their" fluid.

The HWH fluid does not have the red dye. When you get a slide leak you will prefer the HWH fluid. If the Dexron ATF fluid is used it will stain where it leaks. A good thing for finding the source, but murder on the interior or basement carpets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom