Leveling jacks not fully retracted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanhui

Just bought my first RV (2002 Winnebago Brave 32V) yesterday. After parking it, I noticed that the leveling jacks did not fully retract, i.e. fully raised up, showing  2-3" of the shiny piston (not sure this is the proper term.) However there is no indicator light on the dash alerting that the jacks are down. Is this normal? If not, what may be the problem and any DIY solution?

I looked through the owner and operator manuals, I don't see any mention about the jacks except the leveling section in the operator manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John,

Thanks for your reply.

I will lower the jacks and retract them again. I should go ahead cleaning and lubricating while I am at it. Will report back.

Some jack systems, HWH is one as I recall, use the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir to trigger the jacks up indicator. If the reservoir has been overfilled a bit, the indicator will not light up, even though the jacks are still hanging down a couple of inches. I think Bigfoot jacks are the only hydraulic system that uses a physical switch at each jack to indicate a positive "All up" condition. There could be others though...

Don't over-think it, and don't try to "service" something that doesn't need to be messed with. Just because there is a inch or two of "shiny" shaft showing doesn't mean you have a problem. They do not got up completely out of sight. If there is no warning light/chime, and if they all look the same, or if both front and rear pairs look like the mate, I would leave them alone.  When I have attended HWH seminars, they have always said the jacks DO NOT need to be "lubricated", etc. I strongly believe that many people create problems with their levelers by trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. My HWH jacks have NEVER been "lubricated" or "wiped down" or "cleaned" except for what they do to and for themselves when I raise and lower them. I have 10 years and over 80k miles on them and they work fine every time. 

The problem is that the hydraulic valves are open and the springs on the Jacks are no longer strong enough to pull  the jack(s) back all the way up or the shiny metal is dirty ans the dirt is keeping the jack from coming all the way up. If the Jacks dont come up all the way you can do a couple things,
1. get a 2"X 4" about 6 feet long and keep pressure on the jack until it is seated (no shiny metal showing).
2. Extend the jacks and use a dry silicone spray and then try storing them. The HWH guy said you can use WD40 but be sure to wipe the Jacks before you store them ( I personally don't use the WD40, I prefer the Silicone spray. The dry silicone spray does not need to be wiped off.

With my first coach I used the 2X4 method and I found that using the silicone spray works great. I keep a couple cans on the coach (can be bought at Camping world or I would guess an Auto store. I spray the jacks and wipe them down when I think it has been a windy sandy stay.

Here is the link to the website for HWH in Indiana. Chuck Stewart will usually pick up the phone or will call back in a reasonable amount of time.  http://www.rvleveling.com/

NY_Dutch said:
Some jack systems, HWH is one as I recall, use the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir to trigger the jacks up indicator. If the reservoir has been overfilled a bit, the indicator will not light up, even though the jacks are still hanging down a couple of inches. I think Bigfoot jacks are the only hydraulic system that uses a physical switch at each jack to indicate a positive "All up" condition. There could be others though...

This is the switch HWH uses this warning switch

Attachments

• Fixed Jack Warning Switch.png
    Fixed Jack Warning Switch.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 27
codgerbill said:
The problem is that the hydraulic valves are open and the springs on the Jacks are no longer strong enough to pull  the jack(s) back all the way up ...

Bingo.

First thing I would do is replace your 12 year-old retraction springs.

Thanks everyone for your response and helpful comments.

I finally had a chance to go out to where my RV is parked this afternoon. I fully extended the jacks (front first then back) then retracted them in the same order and they fully retracted this time. Perhaps it took that extra extension for the springs to have enough tension to recoil. Anyway, I will need to check the jacks before I took off from now on.

Thanks again everyone!

Hmmmm.... Out of an abundance of caution, I'm going to offer another consideration. With 2 to 3 inches of jack-shaft showing (the shiny part), the warning horn should have been sounding - at least that's the way all of my RV's jacks have functioned - and they've all been HWH. As soon as they had extended (down) about 1/4 inch (or so), the horn would start blaring. Just something you might want to check.

Kev

Alan, One more thing that you should do is, clean your leveler springs.  Dirt and rust collect between the coils. Extend the leveler and use a stiff wire brush to clean the space between each coil. This may fix your problem, good luck.

On my previous Brave, the jacks always retracted fully, no shiny part showing. If any shiny part was showing, I would get an alarm. I would for sure get the switch or what ever checked.

Call HWH and they can tell you what to check. They are really good people. When I was in their factory for the tour they told us to call anytime we have a problem.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/custserv3.html

I did notice that the springs are quite rusted up. I will definitely clean them up with a wire brush. Thanks, wincom6. I've read about the Boeshield T-9 lubricant. Perhaps I should put that on afterward?

On the warning horn, I did not hear any when I started the RV and drove it to the storage, after which I discovered that the jacks were not fully retracted. I will check again then contact HWH. Thanks Kevin and Wizard46.

I dunno about a warning "horn". When my jacks are not fully retracted I just got the dinging sound and blinking led on the HWH control panel. I have also had the HWH alarm come on while driving down the road and I just pressed the retract button and it would eventually go off. That does not happen often maby once or twice in a RV season. With regards to calling the HWH  factory (Moscow Iowa), they will eventually get back to you. If you need help in right away you you may not be able to reach the factory right away. I would recommend that you try the factory and if they cant get back to you in a timely manor you could try one of their service centers. I have had great luck with Chuck Stewart at the Indiana facility.  http://www.rvleveling.com/

An interesting point about the HWH jacks is that prior to (I think) 2005 or 2006 the jacks were stainless steel and now they are chrome coated steel. Does it make a difference, well your guess is as good as mine.

I don't have a horn either, just a dinging bell and a yellow light. Something that can make the jacks go down is temperature and pressure changes in the weather or altitude, especially if reservoir is over full. I wouldn't lubricate if they are working, just wipe shafts with a clean cloth.

Wizard46 provided a very useful link to HWH service website, which I copied here for those interested:

http://www.hwhcorp.com/custserv3.html

Their FAQ and the site overall contain very good information. I was able to ascertain that the jack on my RV is the Joystick-controlled 200 series. In their Operator's Manual on Retract Procedure, it cautioned: Do not reply solely upon the warning lights, the "Jacks Down" light or the warning buzzer as an indication that all the jacks are in the store/travel position.

Overall I feel good about this company and therefore its product.

Glad you solved the problem of the jacks retracting...as others have said, silicone shafts, helps a lot and helps keep them rust free....concerning the warning light , perhaps the PO disconnected the light and beeper..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom