Lighting in older RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

I am considering purchase of an older RV and will like to update to the newer more efficient LED light but unfamiliar with how the older models were illuminated.

Were the older lighting 12 volt DC which would allow a change in bulbs or 110 AC that would make things a lot more difficult. Idont believe in the bulbs for 110 AC that are LED, they seem to be a heat source and inefficient.

When I retire (hopefully this year) I plan on hitting the road and camping outside of campsites as much as possible and go with maybe generator or batteries, maybe even solar.  From what I know LEDs would help a lot.

They have LEDs for just about any type of light socket. I'm already in the conversion process of LEDs and already installed solar and a inverter in my RV.  ;)

Most light are 12 volt.  Just look at the bulbs if they look like they belong in the. Tail light its 12 volt.  Irecomend changing the hole fixture. You will get better results that changing the bulbs.  About the same price to
B

Cool.  So if I get something that is a couple of years old with the old incandescent lights I can simple replace the bulb or replace the fixture without having to run new wire.
I like the idea of new housing.  I know sometimes the old stuff gets brittle and discolored.

Thanks everyone for the info.  John

steveblonde said:
Be careful because contrary to popular belive a lot are 6 volt not 12 volt check your system and yes there are led versions of both 12 and 6 volt

I didn know they used 6 volt.  Thanks I will have to keep that in mind.

Mopar1973Man said:
... conversion process of LEDs and already installed solar and a inverter in my RV.  ;)

Like to hear more on the solar power and inverter.  Will you have a bank of batteries?  Hope you post info on how it works out and what ideas you come up with.

6 volt trailers went away with 6 volt cars.  Detroit switched to 12 volts in the early 1950s.  VW was the last holdout until 1966.

You may find a few trailers from the 1960s with 120 volt lights but they're obvious because they have 120 volt Edison screw-in sockets and they only work when the trailer is plugged into electricity.

Unless you're looking at trailers of that vintage, all of your lights will be 12 volts.

My memory on it is very fuzzy, but i think I remember that the TT my dad had for a year or two when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old had dual voltage fixtures.  This was mid to late 1970's, so the TT was likely late 60's or maybe early 70's vintage.... a Nomad

anyway, I believe that the fixtures had two switches, or maybe a two position switch.... and two bulbs.  One for AC and another for DC.  I'd bet 12 volt but I really have no idea...

Curiosity said:
Like to hear more on the solar power and inverter.  Will you have a bank of batteries?  Hope you post info on how it works out and what ideas you come up with.

I guess I need to make a article about my Solar powered RV. But it a cheap Harbor Freight Solar panel set and 1,200w Inverter. I wired into the RV so just flip a few switches and presto all 120V sockets are now live. Just using the same old 12V deep cycle batteries. No issues. I can sit back and watch TV on my old school 13" TV for hours with the panels sitting in the sun.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/uploads/garage_images/image_url-1-1414687667.jpg

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/uploads/garage_images/image_url-1-1414687788.jpg

For experts on the matter of lighting for RVs, check the ad at the top of the page for RV LED bulbs.  Call them or look at their web page.  They are very knowledgeable and helpful.  I have some of their newer 12V fixtures and they do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom