Lightning Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mile High said:
I remember when we had hardwire telephones and we had a lady here in Denver get hit through the phone while using it.  Just when you thought you were safe!

My wife, Jane, still wont use her cellphone in a storm and gets on me if I answer my cellphone......go figure.

We lived in central Florida for 25 years and have had some monster lightning events. One time we had a strike nearby and the current migrated to our house and blew out the cable TV, phone line, and the electronics in our double oven. It also managed to zap my company laptop via the phone line modem.

Edit: this has turned into an interesting thread that really belongs in another board, I'm going to move it after I notify the OP .

While working the oil patch in North Dakota a few years ago one of my drivers was struck by lightning while inside his truck.  Granted he was soaking wet at the time of the strike but it does go to show that it can happen.  He spent 36 hours in the hospital and was off work for a week because of it.  Since he wasn't quite normal before the strike we really didn't notice any difference in his personality afterward although his new nickname continues to be "Sparky".

By the way, the truck he was in had 24.5 inch tires on it, a lot of them.  The lightning entered through a CB antenna and exited "THROUGH" the outside left rear drive tire melting the sidewalls on it's way out.  Tires are probably better insulation than standing on a wet copper plate barefoot but I don't think by much after seeing that.

Yeah, I don't think the insulating properties of tires has anything to do with it.

The only reason cars are somewhat safe is the faraday cage they create....  the electricity is only trying to get to ground.....well really most often from ground as I understand it.... but that's semantics

Anyway, it travels through the metal cage that surrounds you so it travels around the occupants.  That's what makes it safe(ish).  It'll jump through or around a tire, or find some other way to ground....

Think about it this way.... that lightening bolt just bridged across maybe a mile or more of air.  Doe you really think a few inches of rubber matters to it?

I'm more concerned with the landscaping surrounding the lot.

A few years ago (August 10th 2009 to be exact!) we received a call from the campsite owners where our trailer was located on a seasonal site. Midweek, a storm had passed through, and one of the trees in the park took a direct hit from a bolt of lightning. The tree was pretty much obliterated, and as the wood exploded, large (3?7ft long) shards of 'splinters' were hurled out in all directions? several of them ripping right through the canvas of a pop-up camper parked directly beside it, damaging it way beyond repair. Fortunately, the pop-up was also a owned by a seasonal camper, and it was vacant at the time the storm rolled through.

In addition to the tree, the lightning also got into the buried electrical lines, and decimated power to one complete side of the park. The main park breakers were melted/destroyed, and most trailers on the affected circuits also blew their individual breakers. A few trailers with the newer (back then) flat-screen TV's and a handful of fridges were also toasted.

You guys should work at a power plant for awhile.  :eek: I worked a plant that was built in 2002. I was there for construction. So I know how the plant was built. There is a mesh of 00 size cables under the whole plant. EVERYTHING is grounded to that mesh. We still had damage from lighting strikes. Lighting LOVES power plants!!!  :eek: Everytime a storm would pass through or by. We all headed for the admin building. Watch the video in the link. We used to have to hand crank the air switches open. Now we hit a button. When cranking open by hand. You didn't stop until you didn't hear the noise anymore. When you didn't hear the noise, one of two things happened. Either the air switch was open or you was dead.  :eek:

https://youtu.be/VrY_k_pdlCs

Well, though I agree you are safer INSIDE than OUTSIDE in a lightening storm,, Dryer too. I always get a laugh out of the folks who talk about the insulating value of Tries...

Think about this. You have a bolt of electricity that has just jumped THOUSANDS of Feet.. You think a few inches of rubber is even going to slow it down,, Not to mention it can just go around?

What will happen is this.. Many RV's have steel or aluminum frames.. This may be kind enough to be the "Path of least resistance" protecting you in the manner of a farady cage.

Still  Not fun. 

I have been close to ligenting 4 times that I know of.

Two trees one in front one in the side yard of the house I grew up in, less than 25 and less than 50 yards
At work, about 300 yards but that was a radio tower.. I was a Radio Operator.. Yup Same radio.. Now that one was too close.
The amazing thign is after a short period of down time for all the computers to re-boot, EVERYTHING WORKED...  On Monday when the radio Engeeners inspected to see how much damage was done..... They replaced a standard RV type Converter/Battery charger.. that's all that was damaged.

Last time was here at Cathead Creek, the strik was about 200 yards. No damage to me.. Took out some electrionics however.in other locations EMP)

There is no protection against a DIRECT hit save hoping it goes around you... Mine were near misses.  Based on frequency and my current age/medical condition, I seriously doubt I'l live long enough for another near miss.

Back
Top Bottom