Limping with a blown tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I'm kinda stuck with having to drive it over to the tire shop anyway.
Since I will have to replace a bunch of old tires, I already have that expense to deal with, and the cheapest road service I could find that might help me in my driveway quoted a price (for putting on ONE tire) nearly half the cost of the other five. Yeah, I'm cheap.
My tire shop suggested towing the motor home in to the shop but I don't think there is any way a tow truck could maneuver out my driveway; we have a 12 foot gate, and a phone pole directly across the street. It is a tight trick to get our monster out onto the road even when everything is running OK.
I'm just gonna have to drive it. I can go as slow as I like on frontage roads, all the way. It's not like it will blow up or anything.
I appreciate all the inputs from you folks, thanks for the help!

If you wanted to tow it, drive it out to the road then have the tow truck hook onto it.
Let us know how you make out

Reactions: SMR
Since it is parked in a barn does it need new tired TODAY or is the day after tomorrow OK?
Check for mobile tire service. they can come to the barn. change 'em out and you drive safely.

Actually, I'm kinda stuck with having to drive it over to the tire shop anyway.
Since I will have to replace a bunch of old tires, I already have that expense to deal with, and the cheapest road service I could find that might help me in my driveway quoted a price (for putting on ONE tire) nearly half the cost of the other five. Yeah, I'm cheap.
My tire shop suggested towing the motor home in to the shop but I don't think there is any way a tow truck could maneuver out my driveway; we have a 12 foot gate, and a phone pole directly across the street. It is a tight trick to get our monster out onto the road even when everything is running OK.
I'm just gonna have to drive it. I can go as slow as I like on frontage roads, all the way. It's not like it will blow up or anything.
I appreciate all the inputs from you folks, thanks for the help!
Well, limping along, easy does it, will probably work out. Hope you have places where you can pull out of traffic if it doesn't.
(but then, the faster you go, the further along, and closer to the tire shop you'll get before they pop. so, finding that "happy medium" is the trick, ... ;) )

Well, limping along, easy does it, will probably work out. Hope you have places where you can pull out of traffic if it doesn't.
(but then, the faster you go, the further along, and closer to the tire shop you'll get before they pop. so, finding that "happy medium" is the trick, ... ;) )
That's always been my theory. Get down to the low-fuel light coming on, punch it up to Mach 4 to get myself farther down the road before it runs dry.

A guy I knew in highschool hit a man wearing all black at night in his small Dastun pickup truck while coasting into a gas station on empty after the engine had kicked out. Afterward he said there were only 2 reasons it was not a hit and run, first he was out of gas, second the guy was in the back of the truck. He died on my birthday about a 15 years ago from H1N1 flu, whatever year that was popular, he drove himself into the ER, and died 3-4 hours later.

p.s. the pickup truck was highway construction orange

A guy I knew in highschool hit a man wearing all black at night in his small Dastun pickup truck while coasting into a gas station on empty after the engine had kicked out. Afterward he said there were only 2 reasons it was not a hit and run, first he was out of gas, second the guy was in the back of the truck. He died on my birthday about a 15 years ago from H1N1 flu, whatever year that was popular, he drove himself into the ER, and died 3-4 hours later.

p.s. the pickup truck was highway construction orange
There are reasons to give either :( , or :LOL: for that story.

If you blow one of a pair of dual tires, as was already pointed out, you will be putting double the weight on the remaining tire. That might cause that tire to blow as well, and if that happens, especially on a lot of motorhomes, you might end up with side body damage and damage to things like water and waste tanks under your rig.

Your choice, but I would have one or two wheels removed while the vehicle is jacked up and take them to the tire dealer to have new tires put on. Then I would have someone put them on the rig, and another one or two wheels removed to have new tires installed. Much less chance of damage to body or things underneath motorhome.

Your choice, but I would have one or two wheels removed while the vehicle is jacked up and take them to the tire dealer ....
Yeah, that might be preferable, but the owner's manual says not to try changing any tires myself, it's too dangerous for a dummy like an engineer to hoist a 14,000 lb truck. They didn't even provide any form of jacking hardware, or identify any spots on the chassis that could be used as hardpoints.
I got the RV moved in to the tire shop the other day, 15 miles one-way at 20-25 mph. A very exciting drive. Six tires later (and $1200 poorer) I am happy that I can once again drive safely.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I hope you all drive safely too!

Yeah, that might be preferable, but the owner's manual says not to try changing any tires myself, it's too dangerous for a dummy like an engineer to hoist a 14,000 lb truck. They didn't even provide any form of jacking hardware, or identify any spots on the chassis that could be used as hardpoints.
I got the RV moved in to the tire shop the other day, 15 miles one-way at 20-25 mph. A very exciting drive. Six tires later (and $1200 poorer) I am happy that I can once again drive safely.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I hope you all drive safely too!
$1200.00 for six tires?

$1200.00 for six tires?
Could be a Class C with 16 inch tires, or no name brand 19.5 inch tires, I paid just under $2,000 for a 6 Sumitomo ST719's 19.5's in 2021. A quick search online shows some 19.5 inch tires for as little as $164 delivered here, add $25 per tire for mounting (what our local commercial tire shop charged me 2 years ago), and you are still under $1,200.

My last set of 6 tires for my C was also just under $2,000, but I bought some very good Michelin tires. Going too cheap on tires worries me.

Well my new tires ran nice and smoothly, and my last trip went without any trouble.....from tires.
I did notice some damage from the previous blow-out (blow-up?) where the disintegrating tread looks like it swung around and upward against the adjacent "basement" storage bay. That tire did quite the job on the floor of that bay, bending it upward several inches in the portion next to the wheel well. (The door for that bay survived just fine and still operates properly.) I am not sure it is worth the expense to have the floor fixed, or if it is even possible at all.
Lesson learned: fix those tires when they show signs of problems, BEFORE they blow.

Learned a similar lesson not too long ago when one of my tires blew and shredded a bit of the fiberglass around the wheel well on my Scamp. Ouch. That's what I get for not keeping track of the age of my tires even if they look fine.

Glad you're all sorted and thanks for sharing!
Ray

Back
Top Bottom